Caddy Camper Budget/Student Build

Show off your caddy
rhyscjharding
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Caddy Camper Budget/Student Build

Post by rhyscjharding »

Hi,
This is the beginning of my Caddy Camper Build. Im student and so its a budget build not out of choice, (some may choose to go budget to see how far they can get for their money), but because I simply have no money so no choice Image . I'd like to clear up that my aim of it being a camper isn't to go the whole she'bang, (sink, hob etc) but to just manage to make the van adequate to sleep in, hence I'll only be looking to fit in a bed of some sort. I have a side awning which I plan to use for all other camper equipment. Also, not only is the van a swb, but I also have plans to install a rear seat Touran conversion. Incorporating the rear seats with a bed will be a challenge but I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with this van.
The van is a diesel 2.0 sdi 2004. I picked it up as shown in the picture, already lowered a little and the previous owner once had the whole van wrapped but decided to take it off besides from the bonnet and the barn doors. In the back the van has a bench seat which I have since removed to install a Touran seat conversion. When I picked up the seats I also bought the front seats too as shown.
I hope to keep this thread updated as I plan to insulate, ply line, carpet, and pursue further plans to turn this into a little camper.
If anyone needs advice or just interested on how I did things, let me know and I'll take some photos and update the thread.
Pictured above is the van when I got it.

The Touran rear seats I picked up. Needing a bit of a clean. I also picked up floor plates, footwell carpets, seat bases, seat belts and all other trims, not pictured.
The front Touran seats in

And the back Touran seats all in. Not happy with the steps, going to get the part when I can

One of my recent surf trips with the van.
Last edited by rhyscjharding on Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bl0at3r
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: Caddy Camper Budget/Student Build

Post by Bl0at3r »

Welcome - watching with interest :D
Geebs
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Geebs »

Aye, good luck with the project squire. Dare I ask if you're using it as a camper, why you put back seats in? Gonna make your bed build a bit more complicated, and assuming with the surf board in, you're not taking the troops with you?
rhyscjharding
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by rhyscjharding »

Cheers!
I've put the back seats in just because I don't want to limit myself to carrying round 1 passenger. I want to use the van day to day as it's the only set of wheels I have.
I'm hoping to create a bed concept where I have one half of the bed behind the seats and once the seats fold down the other half hinges and folds onto the seats, but that could change when I come to it. Seen it done and it's not too bad.
I'm also hoping to possibly strap the surfboards against the ceiling and perhaps using the overhead storage to feed the noses in. I have twin sliding doors so they couldn't really go along the sides, so I'll need to brainstorm what I could do. At least then with the surfboards above, the troops can indeed join me.
Geebs
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Geebs »

Ha Ha, indeed mate. When you're away hitting the surf, you'll be needing the troops to help you drink the beer afterwards. Hope you get it somewhere near where you'd like it to be......
neil-c
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by neil-c »

Hi. Build is looking good so far. I was wondering if you have officially got the number of seats changed on the V5? And if so was it a difficult process?
Kamakazie
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Kamakazie »

Great start.
You've had the same idea with the bed and rear seats as me, except I was just planning on using the backs of the folded seats as the base rather than anything else hinged.

I like the Touran seats. Do the all fold independently? And can the middle seat be removed to leave the left and right?
rhyscjharding
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by rhyscjharding »

neil-c wrote:Hi. Build is looking good so far. I was wondering if you have officially got the number of seats changed on the V5? And if so was it a difficult process?
Thanks! I haven't, but have thought about it, does it reduce costs then or something? Heard mixed responses

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

rhyscjharding
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by rhyscjharding »

Kamakazie wrote:Great start.
You've had the same idea with the bed and rear seats as me, except I was just planning on using the backs of the folded seats as the base rather than anything else hinged.

I like the Touran seats. Do the all fold independently? And can the middle seat be removed to leave the left and right?
Yeah I guess using the seats as a base would work all the same. I feel like having something hinged would make the whole bed more sturdy.
IMO the touran seats are great. They fit in the caddy almost as if they were made to do so. Yes they all fold forward individually and each seat can be removed.

rhyscjharding
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by rhyscjharding »

So since my first post I have just about finished insulating, ply-lining and carpeting the van with just a few bits and bobs to do, for example I need to source a bulkhead so I can cut away the pillar trims and cover up the horrible gap which is left.
For the insulation I used thermal wrap, celotex 25mm, expanding foam, adhesive spray and foil tape.
I started by lining the van with thermal wrap, and putting the celotex flush between the struts. I then filled the cavities with the expanding foam and then covered all joins with foil tape.
I then used cardboard to get templates for which I used for the ply line which I had carpeted before finally fitting.
I finished the floor with some laminate flooring which my dad had left over.
This is how it looks so far Image

Kamakazie
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Kamakazie »

rhyscjharding wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 pm Yeah I guess using the seats as a base would work all the same. I feel like having something hinged would make the whole bed more sturdy.
IMO the touran seats are great. They fit in the caddy almost as if they were made to do so. Yes they all fold forward individually and each seat can be removed.

Thanks, the seats sound ideal for what I want.