The All Terrain Maxi

Show off your caddy
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: The All Terrain Maxi

Post by anoneamus »

Argh, that sucks! Forgot about the brake discs. Not an issue here, as for whatever reason all South African Caddys no matter which model all have the smaller brake discs. The other tyre I was looking at (but couldn't find in SA) is the Continental Cross Contact, which may be available in the size you want...
Miltonian
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Miltonian »

i am a camper and would love the rugged look like yours.

looks dope 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
branwell
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by branwell »

I contacted Seikel today who confirmed Geolanders are no longer available, but they use Bridgestone or Pirellis now in the 205/65 R16 size. No mention of which specific tyre they recommend though.
Dougster
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Dougster »

I have Scottish fishing rights too so 15 rims and trims will stay on!! :D
branwell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by branwell »

Lost me there... :D

Looks like 215/60 R16 is readily available in the Goodyear Wrangler and Yokohama Geolander tyres. The tyre profile is only one size up from standard so effect on speedo is small.
Just need to check if the 215 width will fit on a 6.5" wide rim or do i need to use a 7" rim?
I don't think tyre clearance is an issue as it is only 5mm on each side.
Anyone advise on this?
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

branwell wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:28 am Lost me there... :D

Looks like 215/60 R16 is readily available in the Goodyear Wrangler and Yokohama Geolander tyres. The tyre profile is only one size up from standard so effect on speedo is small.
Just need to check if the 215 width will fit on a 6.5" wide rim or do i need to use a 7" rim?
I don't think tyre clearance is an issue as it is only 5mm on each side.
Anyone advise on this?
I'd expect it to be very very close if it didn't touch. IMHO too close. I'll try to take a picture of how close the tyre is on mine. Also remember the 60 in 215/60 refers to % width of tyre that the profile is so it would be 60 % of 215 as opposed to 60 % of 205. I'd say that combined with the extra width will probably not work. But maybe you can test one before buying somehow (you need to look at clearance on the inside of the rear wheel).
branwell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by branwell »

thank you. yes that is a good point about tyre width and profile ratio. mmm, back to the drawing board.
audiobull
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by audiobull »

My 215's rubbed so you cant go with 215 without additional mods. That rubbed just on standard driving with no passengers etc. now looking to go 205 route.

Branwell. Where abouts are you in the world as I cannot find any 205/60 R16 in either Goodyear or Yokohama available. From what I have found there is only 205/70 + sizes available in the UK. I think anything over 60/65 will be too big.

Any other recommendations for off road style tyres? Need to fit 16" and I am looking to buy asap.
branwell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by branwell »

I contacted Seikel in Germany who advised... "The Yokohama Geolandar 205/65R16 is no longer available. We use this dimension, in combination with the suspension lift kit, from Pirelli or Bridgestone"

I couldn't afford raising the car as well as buying new tyres so bought a set of 15" steelies as All Terrain tyres are more abundant in this size. Turns out my Maxi Life has larger calipers so the wheels didn't fit.

For the moment my dreams of putting on AT tyres are on hold but i did fit a set of Nokian all season tyres onto the 16" alloys and these have been superb.

I am based in the UK (Perthshire) and am frequently on forest roads and the like.

Seikel sent me photos of Caddys they have converted and i will post these up in the next day or so.
audiobull
Twin Turbo poster

Post by audiobull »

Nice. I have gone with the different 16" wheels and having the Maxxis AP2's fitted. Could not find any AT tyres available anymore in the UK for 16" :-(
Scuba
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Scuba »

audiobull wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am Nice. I have gone with the different 16" wheels and having the Maxxis AP2's fitted. Could not find any AT tyres available anymore in the UK for 16" :-(
Is your maxi the 4 motion ? You been off road at all Not talking up mountains but across fields, really rough tracks and the like?
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Scuba wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:35 am Is your maxi the 4 motion ? You been off road at all Not talking up mountains but across fields, really rough tracks and the like?
I don't have 4motion, but with the AT tyres I've been on some really rough terrain (including deep mud) that you wouldn't expect one of these cars to be able to do. Just need to remember to turn off the traction control. I expect the maxi would perform the same (I have SWB).
Klein
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Klein »

I work in a 4x4 breakers yard so I am on the look out for suitable tyres to put on a set of steels
Scuba
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Scuba »

anoneamus wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:24 pm I don't have 4motion, but with the AT tyres I've been on some really rough terrain (including deep mud) that you wouldn't expect one of these cars to be able to do. Just need to remember to turn off the traction control. I expect the maxi would perform the same (I have SWB).
Great to hear it they can get about, So is it just AT tyres that you’ve changed to, no suspension changes etc ?
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Scuba wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:55 pm Great to hear it they can get about, So is it just AT tyres that you’ve changed to, no suspension changes etc ?
Yup, just the tyres. Would love 4motion, but they don't sell them here in SA. Only place I've got stuck so far is beach sand (but that was before I learned about disabling traction control, so maybe wouldn't have happended, who knows). Been up some pretty hairy dirt/rock mountain passes, and some deep mud. Also, nothing climbs curbs like an AT tyre! ;)