The All Terrain Maxi

Show off your caddy
audiobull
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

The All Terrain Maxi

Post by audiobull »

Wanting a more all terrain maxi so have gone for some bigger tyres and different wheels. Settings changed appropriately.
Next is some all terrain tyres and side steps.
I would also like to raise it a little more too as its close to touching inner arches.

Before
IMG-20170709-WA0000.jpg
Now
IMG-20170709-WA0001.jpg
audiobull
Twin Turbo poster

Re: The All Terrain Maxi

Post by audiobull »

Some more pics
IMG-20170709-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20170709-WA0006.jpg
branwell
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by branwell »

Really interested in this. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. What size tyres and wheels have you gone for?
audiobull
Twin Turbo poster

Post by audiobull »

16" wheels
I am hoping to put some BF goodridge or some General grabber AT tyres on in the next few weeks.
Idea is to try the current tyres for a little while and see how it all goes, I may have to drop it just slightly if I get rubbing with loads more tools in the back but so far so good with all my camping gear and some hefty high speed bumps.
Any bigger and there would be some major rubbing issues. I have noticed a HHHUUUGGGGGEEEE difference in just how much more comfy it is compared to the solid rear leaf suspension. No more jolts.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by anoneamus »

I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out, putting together largest sizes I've seen posted on here and elsewhere. 671mm is the biggest I've seen anywhere. The point you need to watch is the rear arch (which is where the tyre comes closest). With my tyre there's about a 10mm or less gap, which is fine on the road, but if any mud sticks to the tyre it begins to touch (the mud, not the tyre!).

I've fitted the biggest diameter tyres I was able to find on my Caddy and I've found the limit is a diameter of 673mm (mine is 668mm). I have these tyres fitted to 15" rims (as opposed to the 17" the car comes with). I don't believe raising the car will help much with this, your next step would be to remove the lining from the wheel arches.

You can calculate your wheel diameter here: http://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

VW 15" SIMA alloys (sprayed matte black) with 205/70R15 Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA+
Last edited by anoneamus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
audiobull
Twin Turbo poster

Post by audiobull »

Those tyres are very nice mate ;) Now that is a gorgeous looking caddy.

I have found the ride is now lovely compared with before. The back was very hard over bumps but now its perfect like the front. :lol:

I do not intend to go on mud specifically. Its more for grass when camping but if it is a little wet the AT tyres will help millions.
luke_r33
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by luke_r33 »

Cool to see something different than the usual lowering!
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Thanks! Hehe, these tyres may be overkill for wet grass! I've used them for serious back country driving. Like getting through roads with deep mud, going up mountains and going along rocky washboards for 100s of kms.

They do make the ride a lot more comfortable when it's not tar, and they laugh at curbs, however I swap them out for the originals with low profiles when I'm predominantly tar bound. Better around corners and much quieter... :)
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

If it suits your taste, I'd get those rims sprayed black. I didn't really like the look of the AT tyres with silver rims.

This is member 'Audisport' Maxi with Geolander AT.

Last edited by anoneamus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
audiobull
Twin Turbo poster

Post by audiobull »

Ok so I have had a good days worth of driving. I will say this. I have too big of tyres and have to go back to standards.
I wedged
215/65/16
on mine and after some driving with some tools in the back it rubs pretty badly on long corners or fast bumps. standards will be going back on and I will be looking to go down a size but stay all terrain. May even look at your tyres but for 16" as they look aggressive :twisted:
Maybe a 205/60/16" :oops:
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Yeah, I don't think you can realistically go above 205s on AT tyres on this car. That's what I have and so does 'Audisport' (205/65/16).
branwell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by branwell »

Hi Anoneamus, i like the wheel and tyre set up which you have. I am considering using the same size and make of tyres and was wondering what wheel width and offset your Sima alloys have? I am planning on using 15" black VW steel rims on my Maxi Life.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

I used this one:

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2016_ ... 5A8Z8.html

which is 6.5J X 15 ET 50 (ie. a standard size, so your Caddy steel wheels will be fine)
branwell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by branwell »

Excellent. Thank you!
branwell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by branwell »

Well, i bought a set of 15" original steels with centre caps and was planning on getting them powdercoated gunmetal grey and fitting a set of goodyear wranglers, but alas it looks like they won't fit over the front brakes. I have the 2.0 litre 140bhp Maxi Life so it looks like i will have to use the 16" wheels.

Looking at the chart on Seikel's webpage i would need 205/65/R16 tyres, as per "Audisports". These are 6% bigger on outer diameter. I think i can get the Yokohama Geolander in this size but they seem quite rare. I may have to stick with my Nokian all weather tyres for now.