My new caddy

Show off your caddy
Smythy111
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

My new caddy

Post by Smythy111 »

I've just arrived on the caddy scene and will document how I progress with any changes or modification I make. Along with all the faults life throws at me. Hope you enjoy.

First up is a change of wheels. Passat alloys. Makes a nice difference. ImageImage

Alan

Bl0at3r
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: My new caddy

Post by Bl0at3r »

Alan, good start there, from Alan :mrgreen:
Smythy111
Caddy Fan

Post by Smythy111 »

Bl0at3r wrote:Alan, good start there, from Alan :mrgreen:
Thanks Alan. You've been a bit of an inspiration with your caddy.

Alan

Bl0at3r
100BHP+

Post by Bl0at3r »

Aw shucks - thanks 8)
Smythy111
Caddy Fan

Post by Smythy111 »

New head unit gone in along with reversing camera and dash cam. Dash cam was an easy fit with a direct USB attachment. Reversing camera not so much. Spent ages feeding the av cable throughout the cab and back through the cargo area. fidling with way too many bits and pieces. Followed a wiring instruction I got on the web and turned out that the cable I was splicing was the wrong one. Spent an hour or so scratching my head and had to dig out my voltage reader. Finally realised it was the wrong one and connected it to the right one. Was delighted with myself. Van into reverse and the camera comes on, woohoo. Tidied everything away. All trimming back in place and proud of my first foray into auto electrics. Decided to look at my handy work once more but this time I started the engine, to my horror the signal was gone. I was thinking maybe I clipped a wire while reinstalling the trim. To say I was devastated would be an understatement. Anyhoo figured out that it's actually down to the voltage change once the engine is running. Needs a constant 12v in order to function properly. That at the moment is beyond my ability until I do some more research on how to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate all of them.

Alan

Smythy111
Caddy Fan

Post by Smythy111 »

Also put a carbon fiber wrap around the radio surround. I ordered upgraded heater dials but they turned out to be the wrong ones altogether. ImageImageImage

Alan

Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Smythy111 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:36 pm Also put a carbon fiber wrap around the radio surround. I ordered upgraded heater dials but they turned out to be the wrong ones altogether. ImageImageImage

Alan
That looks good mate. Was it easy enough to do? Did you ever get new dials?
LeeH
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by LeeH »

Di noc?

Yeah it's simple, loads of tutorials on you tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey
Smythy111
Caddy Fan

Post by Smythy111 »

Very easy. All you need is a heat gun/hair dryer and some patience and it goes on easy. I rushed mine and it still turned out ok. Take your time and you'll get it perfect. Haven't fitted the new dials yet because I have been out of the country for a while. Back home in a couple of weeks and I'll crack on into it then.

Alan

DM01
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by DM01 »

What head unit is that I'm looking to upgrade from the standard factory fitted entry unit that's been in the caddy for a number of years...
DM01
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by DM01 »

Should have also mentioned in my earlier reply great work

Cheers Dai
Smythy111
Caddy Fan

Post by Smythy111 »

It's a chinese cheapish head unit. Any if the chinese shopping site like wish or Ali express have loads to choose from. Here is the link to mine Quad Core Android 6.0 7 " 2din Car DVD GPS For VW GOLF 5 Golf 6 POLO PASSAT CC JETTA TIGUAN TOURAN EOS SHARAN T5 CADDY with GPS
http://s.aliexpress.com/ZRzq6ZNr
(from AliExpress Android)

Alan

Smythy111
Caddy Fan

Post by Smythy111 »

I have not used it much as I have not been home for some time but it worked brilliantly when I did use it

Alan