My Silver Caddy Day Van Project

Show off your caddy
Mark2K
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

My Silver Caddy Day Van Project

Post by Mark2K »

So I picked up my caddy 2 weeks ago, she is a 1.9tdi 104 that has carried hay and horse food across fields for the last ten years. The smell inside when I picked her up 🤢

So got her home and immediately started the addictive process of making her better again!

Some pics from the day of purchase.

My plans:
1. Make the front feel like a car not a van
2. Convert the back into a day van
3. Make her look sleek on the outside
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mark2K
100BHP+

Re: My Silver Caddy Day Van Project

Post by Mark2K »

So day 1 I decided to rip out the bulkhead and ply to see where the smell is coming from. It turns out under the floor was old rotting hay so time for a deep cleanImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

Next on the list, cut the bulkhead down to cover the gaps at the sides. Managed to completely screw up one side by cutting it in the wrong place, so had to plastic weld it back together. Going to leave them out as planning to paint the black.ImageImage

Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

Next up shampoo the front seats as looks like someone has had a few accidents on them Image. I will be changing them soon but the mrs refuses to sit on them as they are so needs must.ImageImageImage

Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

So I wanted to get the inside done before I started on the outside but couldn't resist a few early mods! Removed the tow bar, de badged, black badge and removed the rear wiper that didn't work. So I planned to put my AMG wheels on from my e-class but they were far to wide, so I went with the standard e-class 17's. I actually think they look cool, I used spigot rings to reduce the hub size to VW. ImageImageImage

Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

Back to the interior. The previous owner seemed to like scratching stuff alot and took it out on the door cards and light switch. My Dad & Brother both have T5's so plenty of spare parts floating around. Luckily found a replacement switch, all I can say is if you need a new one buy one that fits. Had to take both switches to pieces as completely different fitment!ImageImageImage

Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

Have lots more to share but off to do more van stuff so will continue this evening

Beaker2135
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Beaker2135 »

Looking good so far, it will be interesting to follow your progress
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
PaulC61
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by PaulC61 »

Amazing how much dirt and crud can get in under the flooring and travel right to the middle. Nothing a hoover and a bucket of soapy water can't fix.

Seats came up well, did you wet vac them or was it a bottle/can of upholstery cleaner?

Well done.
My Pure Grey Maxi Kombi Build viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32111
ed1119
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by ed1119 »

Great work so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

Thanks, going to take a while but got loads of ideas spinning around in my head

Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

The pain staking process of insulating and sound proofing started. Decided to do 3 stages.
1. soundproof 10mm foam pads
2. Plastic wadding insulation
3. Silver bubble wrap to hold it all in.

Stage 1 complete, wasn't as bad as I originally thought but am sure the worst is to come! ImageImageImage

Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

PaulC61 wrote:Amazing how much dirt and crud can get in under the flooring and travel right to the middle. Nothing a hoover and a bucket of soapy water can't fix.

Seats came up well, did you wet vac them or was it a bottle/can of upholstery cleaner?

Well done.
I used a wet vac for this and went over them twice, the colour of the water was gut wrenching! Yep just elbow grease and a bucket of hot soapy water and the difference is amazing 🖒

Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

Took the passenger side trim out as hate the multicoloured plastic grey trim. Bought some rigid plastic spray paint do the whole inside matt black. Found where the rest of the smell was coming from lol. I actually can't wait to never smell that again. ImageImage

Mark2K
100BHP+

Post by Mark2K »

So while I have a coffee this morning might aswell get up to date before I start van stuff. This takes us up to yesterday.

Was scanning eBay for front seats and some golf plus ones came up at a local breakers yard for £50. Fast forward 25 mins and I have them Image. So decided to do 3 jobs at once yesterday:
1. Modify the seats to fit
2. Paint the plastic trim
3. Stare at the insulation and hope it will do itself so I don't have too.

1. I picked up on here that post golf mk5 golf seats fit with a modification to the font of the subframe. Quick heads up, golf plus runners are about 3/4" wider. Anyway I'm not one to give up so I shave the lugs off the bottom and satin black the exposed metal, offer them in and use one bolt to line them up with the centre console. Managed to drill the other 3 holes and use through bolts to secure in place. Also they didn't come with seatbelt buckles and are completely different to the caddy ones Image. So passenger seat and 2 hours later, a modified subframe and modified seatbelt buckles we are finally in. Obviously safety is paramount so made the buckles fit the proper mounting by bending and trimming.

2. Grey scotchbrite and warm soapy water to clean the plastic trim, then a quick wipe down with thinners and you can spray this paint without primer. Must say deffo the best mod I've done for money vs looks.

3. I stared a lot and nothing happened so I left it for another day ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage