Whitey's White Caddy 4

Show off your caddy
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Whitey's White Caddy 4

Post by Barbel330 »

Hard to say how low I am on the front exactly but I could certainly go a bit lower as there’s a good few threads left on the coilovers. My splitter would get destroyed if I went down any more tho as I use the van to work out of everyday. As it is now, I can just about navigate enough of the local speed bumps to get myself to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Whitey »

I suppose the main thing is to make it look level. I've just ordered a TRC front splitter, if my Leon cupra front splitter is anything to go by it will have created its own brand new shape to match my local roads haha!
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Might have a look at removing the liners, hopefully welding the rear seat set up in this weekend so going to need to get it sorted before I can carry any weight in the back. Barbel, do the Gaz rears stiffen the back right up? Don’t really want to raise the rear ride height if I can help it.
Gee
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Barbel, just had a look at your build thread, what a great Caddy 👍💪🏻
Rear ride height looks just about identical to mine, I know you said you removed the arch liners, also do you carry much weight? Is the uprated rear shocks worth doing? I’m guessing that if loaded up it’s the spring that’s going to dictate the loaded ride height then the shock absorber would need to be set quite firm to take the movement out to stop it bottoming.
What’s your thoughts and findings on this?
Thanks
Gee.
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by RKDesigns »

Whitney, with 215-35-19 tires you can go as low as the caddy can go. Look it up via www.steekmaat.nl also in English version, the max size advise is 225 wide tires. 90/80mm drop has also with 225 no trouble. The caddy's on air which aren't modded are on 215 tires. The onces on air with wider wheels and tires are mostly modded ( inner arches and even fenders )
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

gee101a wrote:Barbel, just had a look at your build thread, what a great Caddy ImageImage
Rear ride height looks just about identical to mine, I know you said you removed the arch liners, also do you carry much weight? Is the uprated rear shocks worth doing? I’m guessing that if loaded up it’s the spring that’s going to dictate the loaded ride height then the shock absorber would need to be set quite firm to take the movement out to stop it bottoming.
What’s your thoughts and findings on this?
Thanks
Gee.
Mine permanently carries a lot of weight yes mate. With the Gaz adjustables the hardest setting is pretty much solid, far too harsh for my liking but my pal uses his on that setting. I found halfway gave a nice ride and also stopped the rear bouncing like the non adjustable shocks I had before. They are a big improvement for not a huge amount of money so well worth doing.

Instagram: @y_5cuf
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Thanks for that, had a quick google and looks like they’re about 150 a pair, does that sound about right?
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

Hi Gee,

My GAZ rears were £157.50 inc vat and delivery. They are made to order though. Was told to expect within 4 weeks, they arrived in just over 2 weeks :)
Sandyson
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Sandyson »

Don’t suppose you have the name of the eBay seller ? There’s quite a few offering a similar item and description. Lovley list of mods done / waiting to be done

Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

Hi Sandyson, thank you :) Do you mean the head unit mate?

Sandyson
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Sandyson »

Yes sorry I wasn’t very clear !

Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

No worries at all mate :)

OK, so I got mine from a dealer on ebay called eodaworld and think they have another account called sweethome (i think they are the same dealer). I was quite patient to get one for £120, they generally sell them on buy it now for £180-200 but list them on auction constantly.

I have a 6RD035187A which has the latest firmware (5404)

I also needed a MIB to MQB Quadlock adapter for mine which was £30 but think pre 2016 caddys plug straight in. Hope that helps :)
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

As previously mentioned, loving my Head unit but still felt a bit let down with it not having a rear USB out. The Iphone lead coming from the front of the unit and hanging down to the stowage just behind the gearstick is already annoying me! Not just on an aesthetic level but the lead sorta gets in the way during gear changes. Even more frustrating is the fact there is a USB in next to the 12v cig lighter (which is now redundant due to the head unit change). Something had to be done! Found a guide to add a USB output (in Russian) online and thought I'd give it a go. The unit this guy has is manufactured by a different company but essentially the same.

I had a USB extension lead knocking about with a female input.... the task.... open up the headunit and solder the lead to the back of the USB connector...

Opened up the main body and disconnected the ribbon cables from the facepanel...
Took the rear panel off the facepanel
Cut the end off the the USB lead, trimmed the wires and tinned them, then fed the lead through a hole on the back face panel...
Soldered the USB lead to the rear of the USB connector...
Rebuilt the unit

Originally from the Female USB out I added a 2 Female USB Y Splitter. I was gonna run one to the front stowage and the other to inside the centre console stowage. Sadly the unit did not like the splitter one bit. I bought a different one... same problem! I bought a USB to Green VW connector lead to hook up to the front stowage USB. No surprise it didn't like that either! So, finally I took out the stowage USB connecter, took it apart and fitted the Female USB direct. Happy days, all works great and bought a small 10cm Iphone lightening lead.

Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

Unfortunately the lowering and wheel fitting didn't happen today! On a plus, this arrived...

Can you guess what it is? :lol:

Just incase you didn't :roll:
Gaj69
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Gaj69 »

Nice work with the head unit, will be I interested to hear how the splitter fitting goes, thats on my to do list after the wheels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk