Whitey's White Caddy 4

Show off your caddy
Andy1234
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Whitey's White Caddy 4

Post by Andy1234 »

Yes please mate some pics would be fantastic as all I have to do is anchor the lower seat belts and I am done!
Thanks in advance
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Whitey's White Caddy 4

Post by RKDesigns »

The Caddy 4 looks good by the way
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Whitey »

Big thanks for all the nice comments and help everyone :)

@torque777 - thanks mate - I have checked out your build quite a few times, excellent work and taste :)

@RKDesigns and Caddyluv... yeah really had my mind set on the Hankooks, seems they have a had a price increase lately. I had been watching some 235/35/19s for £104 each but now they seem to be at least £115 everywhere! I decided to go with the Nokian Zlines as they were a bit cheaper but with nearly exact ratings @ £95 each inc delivery. Hopefully the 235/35 will be ok RKDesigns? Noticed you recommended the 225 but unsure if the stretch would be ok with my treacherous country roads! Hope i made the right choice!

@VWjas1986
Looking good mate - like the gloss black mirrors and how they blend into the window area. I need to get my bump strips done... they are still black :(
Be nice to see a white side rail cover on yours too :)

@Andy1234 - soz still not got round to taking any pics of the rear seatbelt anchor mounts. Sadly don't get much time to tinker with the van (although i think about it all the time) - will get some uploaded asap dude :)
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

So these turned up from BC Racing today...

Absolutely beautiful build an quality, seems a shame to fit them on the inside of the van - i need some perspex wings ha!

Well pleased just by the looks but further more I know from research they handle like a dream!

Just waiting on the GAZ rears so we can get this bitch slammed :)

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Ohhh yes, you're gonna love these.
Mine are not BC Racing but the same thing and I love how they handle.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

Yes yes Doc, in all honesty I got these bad boys due to your recommendation, previously i had seen them before and thought they looked decent but no reviews about. From a bit of research I found the same coileys under different name/branding - the Relentless are red, also the MeisterR Zeta CRD, WAT Racing are green detailed (most commonly found in Japan / OZ), and an american firm that have metallic orange detailing (can't remember the name!). They all seem to be the exact same by looking at the specs etc
Contacting most of these firms but couldn't help when quoting for a caddy, mentioning GOLF 5/6 struts they could help. Some of the firms were unable to sell just the fronts but MeisterR and BC didn't have a problem. Both priced similarly but a longer wait on the MeisterR to come into stock so went with the BC's... took about 10 working days :)
GAZ rears are due in a week so can't wait to get rid of the space between arch and tyre :)
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

Gaz shocks arrived...... yay :D

Gonna take the calipers off while the suspension and wheels are being fitted next week and paint them too ;)
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Celticrsmith »

What colour you doing your calipers?
tweedy2K
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by tweedy2K »

Very nice build! Its a shame the caddy panel van doesn't come with the nice caddy life trim, I'm wanting some for mine too but like you say, its not cheap!

What head unit do you have installed?
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by RKDesigns »

235 tires will fit easily, 8J wheels max. but if you look up what vw max says its 225 for 18 19 and 20 inch I would not go wider in case the caddy would be lowered you will get rubbing in the inner arches. Will become visible on the sides to the tires as well. If it goes wrong and the plastic cuts a tire open it the best when it happens at low speed, high speed a flat tire isn't funny at all. Had that lately with a 215 tire underway to an event. My Caddy 4 is lowered 90 / 80 mm front/rear. I own an 140hp euro 5 tdi engine it's from 02-11-2015 one of the first caddy 4's.
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

@Celticrsmith - erm yellow - don't judge me! :oops: :lol:

@Tweedy2k - thank you and yep it is expensive for what it is. Can't help but think my 5 year old daughter will also use it as a glorified foot rest :shock:

My head unit is a RCD330+ with carplay. It's a fairly cheap unit but so far I'm really pleased with it. The consensus is that these are genuine vw headunits removed from brand new vehicles in china and then hacked for carplay use, how true this is I'm unsure but it's what all the sellers say. The carplay works brilliantly and the touch screen is very responsive. Some of the downsides are no DAB but not an issue for me as I don't tend to listen to much radio anyway, secondly you can use tunein app with carplay so all dab stations are attainable. Other minor issues... it displays the radio frequency large in the display with the radio station name quite small (surely they could have done this the other way around!), doesn't seem to show track art when playing mp3s (there is a music icon) so not sure if that's just a setting or not. Finally no extra rear usb output which would have been handy! Can't moan about it too much though, I managed to get one off ebay for £120 inc postage! Did have to buy a MIB to MQB quadlock adapter which was £30 - think pre 2016 caddys just plug straight in.

@RKDesigns, Sorry to hear about the blow out! As always thanks for the info mate. If I get this problem is there a good way to perhaps mod the inner arch covers at all? I really want to slam it as much as safely possible - was hoping to go about 80mm if possible!
gee101a
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by gee101a »

Nice work Whitey 👍
Be interested to see how your Gaz rear shocks go.
I’m in the process of a lot of mods like yourself, lowered my Maxi by about 100mm with a vmaxx kit. Not that pleased with the back end, sits really nice but does catch the inner rear arches and bounces off the cut down bump stops, will be doing the rear seat conversion soon and with the extra weight I think I’m going to have trouble.
Have you researched the benefits of the adjustable shocks? Be good to hear how it rides when you get them fitted. Where did you get them from?
Thanks
Gee
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 »

I took my rear arch liners out completely, had them out for almost 2 years with no problems. It's all under sealed in there from factory so no real issue on that front but I do try to keep the arches clean so no build up of crud sticks up in there.

Gaz rear shocks are really nice. I have them set in the middle of hard and soft.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

Cheers Barbel330 (love your caddy btw :)

Cool, I have the same alloy and tyre size to yourself once fitted (hopefully this week). I think I'll use your tried and tested settings for the GAZ rears then, how low did you go on the front dude?
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Whitey »

Hey Gee, thanks mate :)

100mm drop sounds awesome imo but appreciate the problems involved! Am I gonna need to cut my bump stops down then? I imagine so, didn't think about that!

I cant wait to get the adjustable fronts on, truth is once set up nicely I will probably just leave them be. It's a cool feature though and saying that I live in a rural area and the roads are not great so will be fun tweaking slightly as and when needed. I do believe it's worth investing in a good quality suspension kit though, as mentioned mainly due to where I live. I bought a relatively cheap lowering kit for my Leon Cupra R many years ago, it lasted just over a year, forever bottoming out on not so severe bumps. I upgraded to a H&R set up, it wasn't cheap but has been on the leon now for over 11 years and it's still awesome! Worth it :)

Edit: I got the fronts from BC Racing direct, they don't do a Caddy version but the MK5/6 Golf fronts are the same. I spoke to a chap called James and he was able to sort the fronts only. They came to about £500 for the pair inc vat. Overall the darkside lowering kit, GAZ rears and BC fronts came in all at a few hundred quid cheaper than the KW kit i was originally gonna go for :)