builders van/day van

Show off your caddy
carlosfilippsen
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: builders van

Post by carlosfilippsen »

Good progress and the van is looking good. I am looking for a highline steering wheel myself!

It may be worth looking at Audi A3 air vents. They fit with only minor modding and cutting.
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

gave the old girl a much needed bath today and bit of protection for the coming winter, I noticed that there was some heavy fallout and contamination on the n/s rear quarter and side door so got the clay bar out and did the whole thing, then a coat of SRP by hand and then a coat of sealant, I had some old blackfire diamond sealant left over so used that to get me through to the spring when ill give it a full detail.

ImageUntitled by Stuart McLean, on Flickr
dirty clay just from the rear quarter :o surprised the paint still looked white!

also the sliding door had some weird deposit on it, despite clay and a hand polish I couldn't get it off, will use my rotary next time if I get time

inside nice and clean

finally fitted my genuine mats, after waiting an age for the pegs to turn up that stop them from sliding around

also partially debaged the right rear door, looks much cleaner imo, and pic shows the rear panels painted black to look a bit more stealthy in the windows, better than white at least.

looking clean, really want new wheels and to get it lowered now!
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Well done mate bathed mine today to. I need to clay mine found the orange specks all over looks like bake bean road kill. Very strange. Off to a modified car show tonight hope it isn’t to cold. Your van is great. Your have fun doing it up. I was ment to have mine lowered today but it’s been postponed till the 16dec. Gutted. Good luck with the van Stuart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

not a huge update but have nearly finished the interior insulation now, the back's all done at least. stripped the whole lot out again and finished sound deadening the roof which I hadn't done before

then went over the whole lot with 6mm dodo mat e-liner thermal closed cell foam

then I ran out of light but also used more cavity insulation in the, er, cavities, then screwed everything back in place. Ive also left the bulkhead out for now, want to see how noisy it is without for a while, as when I use it for camping it won't be there.

just got to fit these, then sound deaden and insulate the doors and footwell and I'll be about there for the interior

also got a quick snap in the morning of the beading, sealant doing its job

cheers
Mk2kompressor
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: builders van/day van

Post by Mk2kompressor »

The difference deadening the roof is crazy, good job

2.Slow
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

it is indeed, its certainly a lot quieter inside even without the bulkhead.

today I managed to fit the cruise control, woop

started off by removing the steering wheel and cowling, which leaves the slipring and indicator module exposed, disconnect all the plugs from the slipring, then theres a couple clips either side and a small torx screw at the bottom

that leaves just the stalks, again, one small torx screw underneath and it comes off completely, again, unplug everything

once off fit the new cruise stalk, and plug in everything and refit the slipring

refit steering wheel and everything else then onto vcds. this was my first time using vcds so was a bit nervous. followed all the procedures for setting up and diagnostics etc then recoded to accept cruise and jobs a gooden, can't believe it worked
start off by going in to the engine module and activate cruise in there.

I then took it out for a spin but had a fault code on the dash saying cruise wasn't working so came back and tried again
didn't realise but also needed to recode the steering module

did that then cleared all fault codes on steering and engine modules and it worked a charm

ill do a detailed write up and put it in the retrofit cruise thread for anyone else that wants to do it too

Cheers
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

carried on having a play with vcds

ImageCelebration by Stuart McLean, on Flickr

any other mods or tricks people recommend?

Edit: you'll have to click on the image to view the video, dunno why its not working
DoncasterRuss
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DoncasterRuss »

Nice work Bluebeard.
Just a couple of enquiries.
On your van did you have to change the module or slip ring and were the clocks the original ones. I have electric windows reverse sensor etc but would love cruise.
Did not really want to put in MFSW at this time due to available funds so if I can leave original stuff in I will and then work on some of the exterior stuff before revisiting up grade of wheel and satnav etc

Cheers Russ
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

DoncasterRuss wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 pm Nice work Bluebeard.
Just a couple of enquiries.
On your van did you have to change the module or slip ring and were the clocks the original ones. I have electric windows reverse sensor etc but would love cruise.
Did not really want to put in MFSW at this time due to available funds so if I can leave original stuff in I will and then work on some of the exterior stuff before revisiting up grade of wheel and satnav etc

Cheers Russ
hi Russ, fortunately all the parts I needed were on it already, so I didn't have to change the slipring and the clocks, I think highline ones, were already in it. I think if it has the temp gauge on the left main dial its a high line. im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.
Im the same, hoping to get a new h/u with apple CarPlay so presume a mfsw would work with it anyway

Stu
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

and in other news...

to

massive thanks to caddyluv for the new boots, really happy with them. significantly better looking than the trims! needs a touch of lowering still. after much deliberation the desire for 18/19s and decked won't really work for me. with the amount of weight I carry it won't be practical, sad times. so oem it is
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Look great.

luke3389
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by luke3389 »

Great thread. I'm keen to do kit out my work van, It just pains me to use for work when it looks so good! I'll be follow. Thanks!
mkrav
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by mkrav »

Bluebeard wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:05 pm carried on having a play with vcds

ImageCelebration by Stuart McLean, on Flickr
Nice :D

Very clean looking van and nice to see the build going well, good job mate!
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

finally I managed to get half a day off today so got round to fitting the new speakers. few things in prep, for anyone wanting to upgrade to 3 way speakers, make sure the mids are 70mm not 100mm, else they don't fit in the dash where the grills are, as I learnt to my expense!

I bought the hertz 3 way 165.3L kit, and then the 70mm mille pro mids separately so it would all fit. may fit the spare 4" units in the back one day or flog them on, anyway, pics!

passenger side before:
to remove these you need to drill out the 6 rivets
after:
you also need to buy speaker mounting pods, or make your own mdf one, but for a few quid off eBay I thought these would be fine, and they are. also wrapped them in some sound deadening to aid with eliminating vibration. I riveted these in as I have all the bits anyway but you can probably use screws too

same process on the drivers side:

for the mids I forgot to get full pics but did get passenger before:
and drivers after, with tweeters
for the tweeters, im going to cut a couple holes in the dash on the uphill bit infront of the grills to the side of windscreen vents, just waiting for my mate to pop by with his angled chuck so I can fit my hole saw in at the correct angle.

cutting the original speaker wire was the most nerve racking bit just incase id got it wrong, but it was fine in the end, the red/white and brown/white for the n/s and red/black and brown/black for the o/s split and wired into the crossovers and some Halfords finest auto leads 0.75 speaker cable to connect the rest. also don't be conned into paying 4 or 5 quid for half a dozen connectors, get yourself down Screwfix and you can get a bag of 100 for £3!
overall im well happy with them. the sound is sooo much better than standard, much more rounded out. will make longer journeys much more of a pleasure to be in.

so, next things, hopefully some on here can help. under seat subs, is it possible to wire these up without having a pre-out? secondly, after discovering I have bluetooth, is it the same module for the hands free phone kit as it is for the stereo? so I could fit a bt vw headunit and bluetooth would work straight away or would I need to get another bt module?

cheers
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

Nice stuff. I've just fitted a Pheonix gold under seat sub in mine which connects to my RNS510, plus the Herts mids in the doors and tweeters in the dash. Sounds great considering the sub is only 8". It's not going to shake anyone's filling out but it kicks just enough with a nice balanced sound.
Instagram: @y_5cuf