builders van/day van

Show off your caddy
Bluebeard
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

builders van/day van

Post by Bluebeard »

Hi all.

Thought I'd start a build thread for this, hopefully it will keep my motivation up to move things forward. this is my daily workhorse as a builder so practicality comes first for me, as much as id like to turn out a show ready example like some of you guys. so my plans are modest but I still hope to have a caddy that will turn a few heads and look as tidy as many on here.

To the base. its a 2013 caddy 3 in fair nic, 1.6tdi 102, all standard and fairly uninteresting
ImageUntitled by Stuart McLean, on Flickr

it was previously owned by some plant firm down Bristol way, and had been "well used" as it was filthy inside, but full service history and regular servicing kept me at ease that its a good runner.
first thing I did was to strip the front out and give it a damn good shampoo and clean, I forgot to take pics of it but the liquid was disgusting. at least its clean in the cab now. then I stripped out all the ply out the back to clean that up, what a mess:

after a damn good cleaning:

I've ordered myself a tonne of silent coat sound deadening to get rid of the noise out back, so hopefully fit that in the next week. I've also got hold of a highline leather steering wheel to fit. does anyone know what size multi spline bit I need to fit this?

progress will be slow and steady I should imagine as time is always precious and now the clocks have changed doing work in the evenings is going to be difficult. As for the rest of the plans its more of the same as what everyone else does really:
wheels and coilovers, probably in the spring when the worst of winter has gone and my current tyres need replacing.
insulate the back, re-ply, carpet and rack out, I hope to double the racking up to be useable as a camper too
fit cruise control
upgrade from windy windows to leccy windows
leisure battery and lights/sockets in the back
upgrade headunit and speakers
remap
give it a good detail on the outside

think thats it for now, hope to share more with you soon

Stu
Last edited by Bluebeard on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sifu
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Re: builders van

Post by Sifu »

I m gonna keep an eye on this on as I m also planning to make mine a work / camper van. Yours looks good already from the outside. I just fitted a false floor in mine as a way of stashing some stuff out of the way. Looking forward to seeing what you do.
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

well today I took the afternoon off after going to see my physio, so a good time to sound proof the back end.

this stuff is a bitch when doing the floor, sliced all my finger tips, so top tip if you're going to do it this way, wear gloves!!

already noticed a difference with it being less boomy. still need to do the cabin area, then get some closed cell foam insulation and do the whole thing ready for camping. also did the racking too but ran out of daylight so will get a snap of that tomorrow.

finally anyone have any ideas for some non-slip flooring? I was going to go with Lino but id like to try and keep all my gear from sliding around too much

Stu
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Hey stu I was going to try this. Any thickness really. Just a thought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263255378039

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

Looking better already
From memory it’s a 12 spline bolt for the steering wheel
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
Sifu
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Sifu »

For flooring a friend has gone for jigsaw gym mats.
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

Caddyluv wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:36 pm Hey stu I was going to try this. Any thickness really. Just a thought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263255378039

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
good shout, looks just the ticket. bet it will help dampen some of the noise a bit more too
thanks
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

Beaker2135 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:34 pm Looking better already
From memory it’s a 12 spline bolt for the steering wheel
you mean the m12 right? think I might have that size in the shed
liamcaddy61
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by liamcaddy61 »

Bluebeard wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:17 pm well today I took the afternoon off after going to see my physio, so a good time to sound proof the back end.

this stuff is a bitch when doing the floor, sliced all my finger tips, so top tip if you're going to do it this way, wear gloves!!

already noticed a difference with it being less boomy. still need to do the cabin area, then get some closed cell foam insulation and do the whole thing ready for camping. also did the racking too but ran out of daylight so will get a snap of that tomorrow.

finally anyone have any ideas for some non-slip flooring? I was going to go with Lino but id like to try and keep all my gear from sliding around too much

Stu
Have you got a link to where you got the sound proofing stuff from?

TIA
Liam
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

@bluebeard yes m12 or apparently you can use a 10mm Allen key
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=853
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

liamcaddy61 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:15 am Have you got a link to where you got the sound proofing stuff from?

TIA
Liam
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-Coat-2 ... 1438.l2649

cheapest shop I found and free next day postage
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

Beaker2135 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 am @bluebeard yes m12 or apparently you can use a 10mm Allen key
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=853
thanks, I wouldn't want to use an Allen key just incase it rounds off. steering wheel is fairly important so ill do it properly. cheers
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

Yeah I know but it’s really not tight 5Nm
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

quick pic of the racking, enough room to fit a single airbed down the passenger side, and ample room for all my work gear

will eventually take this all out again, redo the lining as its covered in some sort of oil, and insulate it all. however this seems a bit of a minefield... there seems to be loads of different ways to do this so can anyone tell me what I need and where? I've been looking at 6mm thermal closed cell foam as it adds an extra sound barrier too. is this suitable for all the inside or just the floor and sides? if so do I have to use thicker or moisture resistant stuff for the roof? why do people use bubble wrap?

I still intend to stuff some extra cavity insulation in the voids once its all done, just to add to heat retention for overnight stints.

thanks
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

quick update. haven't done much tbh, spent most of the weekend getting my tax stuff ready. but today I swapped the wheel out for the highline leather one. not mfsw but don't think it would work with the stereo I've got anyway, plus this was free.

the old wheel, worn and a chunk missing from it

and the highline

feels much nicer, and looks better with the extra chrome bit. think ill get some of the vent rings too just lift the poverty spec feeling in the cab