Caddy R32

Show off your caddy
dubstopjames
200BHP+

Caddy R32

Post by dubstopjames »

Having been a member of the forum for some time I never set up a build thread for my van. I thought now is probably a good time as I’m finally getting round to doing some of the jobs that I’ve been intending to do for a few years.

Here are a couple of pictures of the van when I got it.

It was just a standard 1.6tdi but I loved the colour and it had only been used for Light duties.

Around 12 months later I had done a fair amount of work.

All the work done on the van has been carried out by my own hands, including building the mk7 gti front bumper and most of the spray work (some help off a good mate in the paint department).

The list of mods:

Mk7 Golf gti Bumper grafted to touran Bumper.
Touran electric mirrors fitted with Home made adapter bracket.
Mk6 R multi function steering wheel
Mk7 Golf gt seats.
Sliding door rail cover.
Carpeted rear and bulkhead.
Home made security plates over the rear windows (also carpeted).
Bilstine coilovers and axel flip on the rear. Coils are wound right down to the very bottom.
19inch audi alloys with stretched tyres.
Colour cluster (fitted by doc)
VanX glovebox door.
Dpf and egr delete along with remap

The last 18 months of my have been really busy with a new job came massive challenges and then the birth of my son even more! Now things have settled down a bit have started thinking about the van again.
Having cruised many a mile up and down the m6 and m1 for work the van gearbox started whining. I decided that I wanted to make a little bit of an upgrade rather than just making a straight swap. I wanted to give the van a more enjoyable replacement gearbox and engine. I purchased a lovely 3.2l dsg eos to rip apart and transplant everything good into the van (eos being a good choice as it’s fwd and keeps things simple for a daily driver and amateur mechanic).
Of course with work and child getting in the way the eos was parked up and the van driven daily until finally.

The gearbox gave up 200 Miles from Home.

Now with new vigour (and a pass from the mrs who finally realised the van isn’t going away) I’m cracking on with the transplant and hopefully other jobs. Progress may not be fast here, my work is pretty involved and has me working away from home and many hours, but I normally get 1 day a week to do a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dubstopjames on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Caddy R32

Post by Caddyluv »

Good luck. Hope you can get it done.

dubstopjames
200BHP+

Caddy R32

Post by dubstopjames »

Over the last few weeks I’ve removed the tdi engine and manual gearbox as well as the front suspension.

As well as stripped the dash cover off. I’m planning to retrofit the aircon at the same time. Thanks @tommyzoom for the inspiration and info here.

Now I’m itching to get back in the unit to do some more. Next job I suppose is to tackle removing the eos engine and then I can see what “other stuff” I need to swap over.

dubstopjames
200BHP+

Post by dubstopjames »

Caddyluv wrote:Good luck. Hope you can get it done. Image

Thanks. Me too lol.

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Love this, build a awesome caddy and then make it spectacular.
Looking forward to seeing the progress on this.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
dubstopjames
200BHP+

Post by dubstopjames »

Doc wrote:Love this, build a awesome caddy and then make it spectacular.
Looking forward to seeing the progress on this.
Thanks doc. Glad ur looking forward to it - cos u won’t mind pulling me out of the shit when I can’t figure the coding Image

Big Pimp
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Big Pimp »

Subscribed to this.

Whilst my 1.6 is running merrily away, should it ever go pop I’ve been thinking about R32 engine!
dubstopjames
200BHP+

Post by dubstopjames »

Big Pimp wrote:Subscribed to this.

Whilst my 1.6 is running merrily away, should it ever go pop I’ve been thinking about R32 engine!
Well I’m going to try to post up as many details as possible. The forum has helped me loads over they years, hopefully I can give something back.

I have to say all the negative comments about 1.6tdi that I read - I’ve never had any problem. It’s run perfectly, been fuel efficient and never had any injector issue. Only problem I had was egr valve fail when I first got it but I think that’s a common issue on any diesel nowadays.

NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

Great plan!!! 8)

My Touran is R32 now... but I went 4-motion too - THAT is a ball-ache! It's easily twice the work of the engine conversion, and on a Caddy, it'd be way worse!

The 3.2 is a really nice engine too, so I'll think you'll be stoked when it's done.

If I can help with any info, let me know!
Ben73
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Ben73 »

Good luck, I’m really looking forward to how this turns out.
dubstopjames
200BHP+

Post by dubstopjames »

NZDubNurd wrote:Great plan!!! 8)

My Touran is R32 now... but I went 4-motion too - THAT is a ball-ache! It's easily twice the work of the engine conversion, and on a Caddy, it'd be way worse!

The 3.2 is a really nice engine too, so I'll think you'll be stoked when it's done.

If I can help with any info, let me know!
Yeh I’ve owned a few 3.2s and they are such a nice drive but wow, nice one doing the 4 motion, bet that’s a massive job. Maybe I’ll do the rear one day too.
And thanks for the offer of help. That might come in usefull very soon. ImageImageImage

dubstopjames
200BHP+

Post by dubstopjames »

Well I’ve cracked on a little.

I’ve stripped the engine and dsg box from the eos and parked it next to the caddy. On inspection it’s amazing how similar everything is on the eos and caddy in the engine bay. After having a quick look the other day it looks like the caddy subframe can stay as well as the caddy hubs (Eos disks & calipers look like they bolt straight onto them). This should save some work and helps me as I can keep the eos rolling so I can move it about.

I’ve also stripped the eos dash out ready to pull the aircon. I’ll split the eos loom that runs behind the dash and hopefully take what i need to add to the caddy setup. There’s a few engine connections that run here as-well as the wiring that goes to the dsg gearbox / shifter.

I’ve purchased elsa win offa eBay hopefully I can make sense of it all haha.

dubstopjames
200BHP+

Post by dubstopjames »

Ben73 wrote:Good luck, I’m really looking forward to how this turns out.
Thanks. Me too.

NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

Good work so far! :D

It's amazing how much of it's the same - they're basically the same car underneath, so just about everythin has it's place - the Touran was the same - Hardly had to do anything to get the 3.2 in there.
R22LRM
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by R22LRM »

Loving this thread please keep the updates coming, 3.2 v6 in a Caddy off to the bathroom for some me time 😂
R22LRM
Mk5 Tfsi powered