Black on black 2.0

Show off your caddy
jamieprang
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Black on black 2.0

Post by jamieprang »

Managed a little bit of work in between torrential downpours this weekend.

Tried to move some bricks from my from garden ... turns out my load capacity has been significantly reduced since i lowered her. Ah well. Good excuse to the wife not to move any more bricks. And i ordered a skip.

ImageDSC_0050 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0047 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Then decided enough was enough of the bulkhead grating. Its pretty much pointless and seriously affects my vision to the rear. Out with the dremel and the sander.

I'm picking up a left hand bulkhead this week which will get the same treatment and then will be fitted. Considering trying to make a sort of plexiglas window for each hole thats easily removable for carrying longer bits of wood in the back.

ImageDSC_0058 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0060 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0061 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0062 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0063 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0064 by jamie simpson, on Flickr
"A mk2 is like that really hot chick, who was really really cool, and no matter how badly you were treated, you kept going back"
jamieprang
100BHP+

Post by jamieprang »

The heater controls since i got the van have "worked". But the rear window de-mist and the AC button wouldn't work. Finally got around to replacing the unit today. Just in time to use the AC after all that heat we had in summer too... 

ImageDSC_0053 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0054 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Got a chance to use my new toy too. LOVE IT! Screwing was never so easy.. 

ImageDSC_0055 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

New unit fitted and tested. All good, but i suspect the AC will need a health check and some gas. 

Imagefullsizeoutput_cbc by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Time to kill now before i drive to Englandshire for a work course so i washed and waxed.

Imagefullsizeoutput_cc0 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_cc1 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_cbf by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_cc3 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_cc4 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_cc5 by jamie simpson, on Flickr
"A mk2 is like that really hot chick, who was really really cool, and no matter how badly you were treated, you kept going back"
missyR
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by missyR »

jamieprang wrote:Life's a beach sometimes I guess. My fault for living in Airdrie! Image Image

I caught hold of them on fleabay. Guy was selling them down in Ayr for collection only, he had tried to get them into his T4. 79 for the pair. Then I paid another 150 for the repairs to the material at a place in Rutherglen. The Touran bases were 105 for the pair, but took a while for some black ones to come up. No chance they would have gone in without the Touran bases though. But it was a pi$$ easy swap to do. And now supremely comfortable.
Ooo a fellow Airdrionian!! Who did your tuning and reupholstering please.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

jamieprang
100BHP+

Post by jamieprang »

@MissyR

Sorry for the delayed reply. Been away on Holiday for a couple of weeks totally off grid. Yikes, so theres 2 Airdrie humans on here? Im not technically from Airdrie but the wife is so thats close enough.

Ive not had the van tuned yet but i was considering Pendle when i do. They did my T5 and the job was faultless. So i figured stick with what you know and all that The upholstery job was done by Del at Optimus Automotive Trimmers. If you haven't looked him up check his work out on Instagram. Its first class.
jamieprang
100BHP+

Black on black 2.0

Post by jamieprang »

One small rain soaked update. (Yes i know the van is in desperate need of a wash)

Fitted a badgeless grill to tidy up the front end.

Imagefullsizeoutput_d1f by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_d1e by jamie simpson, on Flickr

I managed to get my hands on a reasonably priced bulkhead. But i only need the passenger side so if anyone needs a drivers side then you know where i am. Chopped out the grating and fitted the bulkhead. Just have to figure out a removable window system for it now.

Imagefullsizeoutput_d1d by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_d1c by jamie simpson, on Flickr

And a new headunit. Its in and it works but i ran out of time to install all the jewellery. GPS receiver, microphone and the DAB receiver is on order and hasn't arrived either. The reversing camera requires a dry day which is hard to come by at the minute. The headunit unlike the OEM one doesn't come on and off with the ignition. I spent a while looking for a switched live with my multimeter, found 2 constant lives and no switched lives. Something i have never come across before, so i went to speak to an auto electrician who informed me that the headunit will be controlled by canbus and for it to come on and off with the ignition i would have to run a switched live from the ignition.... I haven't the weather or the inclination to tackle that right now so its going in to the sparkies on wednesday morning.

Imagefullsizeoutput_d21 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_d20 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_d22 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_d23 by jamie simpson, on Flickr
resra22
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by resra22 »

Hi which head unit did you go for? Haven't done any research into them yet and know nowt about them but will be getting one soon. Are you saying in your last post that you are getting separate gps and dab modules if so which ones?
jamieprang
100BHP+

Post by jamieprang »

Hi there.

I don't really know a whole lot about head units. I looked at the very expensive to the very cheap, then settled somewhere around the middle with this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-7-1- ... 2749.l2649

Added this DAB receiver (the eBay seller gave me the link for it)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-DAB-Digi ... 2749.l2649

The GPS receiver and the reversing camera came along with the head unit but i haven't got around to fitting them yet. Have to say im very pleased with its functionality so far. Its a little slow to boot up.. and unless you are a wiring whiz (which im not) you'll need an auto electrician to run a suitable wire from the ignition to have it come on and off with the key as the old VW unit is controlled by canbus. That cost me 40 quid in cash and took him about an hour to complete. The head unit is also compatible with the Touran dash which i plan to fit at a later date too.

Hope that helps.
resra22
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by resra22 »

Thanks Jamieprang, radio things have got so complicated these days! This looks the business though.
K11ufy
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Black on black 2.0 TDi 140

Post by K11ufy »

How much have you lowered by ? What kit are you also using :?: :?: :mrgreen:
jamieprang
100BHP+

Post by jamieprang »

@K11ufy - I got the full kit from Retrofaction - http://www.retrofication.co.uk/MK3TAfullKit.html

Its a decent kit at a decent price and so far has been really good to drive on. As for how far i dropped it, i think I'm currently about a 40mm drop but not 100% sure. Im happy with the front, but planning to drop the rear a little bit more.
jamieprang
100BHP+

Post by jamieprang »

Bit of work this past weekend. Its a bit long winded but hopefully someone else might benefit from it and what i learned. First a before picture just for shiz and giggles. Apologies in advance for the pi$h photo quality. I was too lazy to grab the good camera and used the iPhone instead.

Imagefullsizeoutput_d1e by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Time for a crack at the old "joeys mod" headlights split... dread. I was however in the fortunate position that i wanted new headlights anyway since the old ones were in poor condition at the rear sides. So i ordered 2 new ones and when they arrived set about attempt one on the old headlights as a big of a dry run. I removed the front bumper (what a pain, the wife's Touareg headlights are SIGNIFICANTLY easier to remove), and both headlights had whatever i could remove removed and they were ready for baking.

ImageIMG_3372 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3373 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3375 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Attempt one. Oven method. 150 degrees (preheated), 15 minutes sat in the oven on a piece of plywood to protect the underside. then attack with screw driver. Came apart reasonably easily.

ImageIMG_3376 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3377 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Inserts out and rubbed down with scotchbrite to key the surface in for painting.

ImageIMG_3378 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Plastic primer done.

ImageIMG_3384 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Top coat of satin black done and not looking too bad really. Time to see how well the front lens cover would attach to the rear.

ImageIMG_3388 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3387 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Lessons learn from the dry run. When the front is removed be very careful about how you set the body down as it can deform sightly under its own weight, making the clear lens a poor fit. Also once the bulbs etc are removed refit the 2 covers before baking the assembly in order to retain some shape of the housing seals. And an obvious one i hadn't considered was to make sure as much of the unit is away from the fan in the oven (if its fan assisted) as that can melt the plastic.

So on to the real attempt which was nerve racking, to put brand new lamps to the sword at £140 a piece... scary as hell. I thought out of interest i would try with the heat gun to see how that would go, in short, it didn't, taking ages and they glue was very gluey! I would have done more damage with the screwdriver prying at it than was worth it. Stuff it... back to the oven with my lessons learnt. Pre heated to 150 again and got my plywood. Tools wise, I also got along with the original trusty flat head screwdriver and good gloves, a pair of pliers to manipulate the sealing channel back into the right shape when hot. And a ratchet strap for a plan i had.

Into the oven, 15 minutes again being very careful about position. Out and attacked it with the screwdriver, harder than the originals to prise apart but they were new so fair do's. Eventually they came apart and as quick as i could i changed over the painted reflector/insert. Then got the ratchet strap around it and tightened it up then back into the oven for 2 minutes. Then back out and i allowed it to cool down a bit before taking it apart (easily obviously as the glue was already broken), then i used tiger seal putting it into the channel and placing the lens back on, the ratchet strap around it and tightening up. Left over night to dry.

ImageIMG_3382 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3399 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3405 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Once dry refitted both to the van, along with the bumper and voila!

ImageIMG_3406 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3407 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3408 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3409 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3410 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Next up. Remove the ply lining in the back and sound deaden then carpet the ply and refit. Have the stuff ready just need the time.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

jamieprang wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 pm Time for a crack at the old "joeys mod" headlights split...
Good job, much better look! Looks like Caddy is a bit easier than the Golf 4 lights I did (had to mask the reflectors and some of the foil came off when I was removing the masking).
jamieprang
100BHP+

Post by jamieprang »

Thank you. It wasn't TOO bad a job. Splitting them was a bit different to other reports i had read. There were no clips that i saw other people reporting. But it wasn't really rocket science to figure out as you go. And really once split the rest is quick and easy.
jamieprang
100BHP+

Post by jamieprang »

Bit of an update.

Spent the last few days doing the back. Installed silent coat extensively as possible, dodo mat on top of that, then some B&Q plastic insulation.

Carpeted all the existing ply lining, and refitted with some new self tappers and some beveled finishing washers. Removed the wheel arch boxes and sound deadened and carpeted the arches. LED lights fitted and wired into the roof lining, with a new LED loading bay light fitted also. All working off the door switch.

Wood strips down on the floor and then old floor back down and fastened to the wood strips. The floor still looks a bit grim but i'm waiting for some rubber matting to arrive then that's complete.

Still as yet unsure what to do with the bulkhead. I wondered about carpeting it.. but that might be a bit beyond my talents. I also still want to fashion some sort of removable window into the bulkhead. So still working on ideas for that.

ImageIMG_3432 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3433 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3434 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3435 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3437 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3440 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3441 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3443 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3444 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3446 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3448 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3450 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3458 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3459 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3461 by jamie simpson, on Flickr
Carpy247
Caddy Fan

Post by Carpy247 »

Nice work Jamie looks well tidy what you puting down on floor? Did you connect LEDs to main cargo light out of interest?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk