2009 Candy White Caddy

Show off your caddy
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Re: 2009 Candy White Caddy

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Sure, i can do a full review.

I’m probably a good person to do it since my daily car has an RNS510 and used to be RNS315 so I’ve got experience with all the popular oem headunits :)
Touran dashboard, Adjustable armrest, 25th Edition seatbelts, 30th Edition leather/tartan seats, sunglasses holder, Touran carpets and floor mats, Facelift highline cluster, RCD330, reverse camera, Climatic, Mk5 leather MFSW, Cruise control, LED Projector headlights, 16” wheels, Leather handbrake / chrome button, Mk7 gearknob, Auto headlights & Fully carpeted, sound deadened and insulated!
Liam
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Liam »

thats what we need someone that can compare and tell it like it is
2016 2.0 Tdi Mk4 Trendline caddy 160bhp
Remapped by Joe Power at TDR.ie www.tdr.ie
Build thread here
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34976
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Sorry everyone, another boring engine update :lol:

Soo stripped the old engine down and removed the cylinder head to find just how bad the damage to the head was. Basically every inlet valve tappet hole was damaged. Cylinder 1 totally gone, oil port was covered over completely. Cylinder 2 damged slightly, cylinder 3 was quite badly damaged but not as bad as 1 and cylinder 4 slightly.

Now the carbon build up was absolutely crazy on cylinder 1! Took lots of work to remove and clean up the piston. Other 3 cylinders were looking quite clean though.
Cleaned the block up, cleaned the bores & cleaned the pistons ready for the new head gasket.

Got the head back from being reconditioned and it looks fantastic as you would expect.

Got a super accurate gauge and measured the piston protrusion past the block and worked out the correct head gasket. I got it on special order from Erling to make sure it was a good quality OEM gasket, 2 hole 2 notch gasket was correct for my fitment. Cost double the price but don’t want a cheap head gasket that’s for sure! :lol:

Touran dashboard, Adjustable armrest, 25th Edition seatbelts, 30th Edition leather/tartan seats, sunglasses holder, Touran carpets and floor mats, Facelift highline cluster, RCD330, reverse camera, Climatic, Mk5 leather MFSW, Cruise control, LED Projector headlights, 16” wheels, Leather handbrake / chrome button, Mk7 gearknob, Auto headlights & Fully carpeted, sound deadened and insulated!
Liam
Hyper Poster

Post by Liam »

have you fired it up yet
Build thread here
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

While doing the rebuild and refitting the cylinder head I also paid extra and bought stronger bolts for holding the cylinder head down. It’s a popular upgrade on the more powerful PD engines when remapping to stop head gasket failure, fitting PD160 head bolts which are 12.9 tensile strength rather than the standard 10.4.
If you look at the writing ontop of the bolt you can see it says 12.9.

So head all bolted down now, I had a decision to make. I’m left with 3 camshafts and 3 sets of tappets with 3 sets of bearings. Now despite rebuilding recently i wasn’t happy with how the camshaft was bedding in... the best camshaft I have imo is the genuine factory one from the low mileage engine, it’s virtually brand new and unmarked and know it’s solid quality being oem. Hydraulic tappets I’m using the almost brand new INA black top uprated ones since they’ve done next to no miles.
And doing so means another set of brand new bearings :shock:

And then the camshaft fitted

And again, all new injector seal kits, injector clamp bolts and camshaft stretch bolts were used, even though the old ones were only a few weeks old it wasn’t worth the risk reusing them :)
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Liam wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:40 pm have you fired it up yet
Not yet! Streessing me greatly at the minute.

I’ve spent a good few hundred on this second rebuild and literally have no idea if it’s going to fix my issue... now I’ve seen inside the engine and seen the damage on the head... particular on cylinder 1 (which had all the carbon build up) I’m really hoping it sorts the judder but could still be an injector or fuel pump, but how can I spend more money on injectors when the cylinder head had chunks out of it.
Liam
Hyper Poster

Post by Liam »

dont know pal but interested to see how it all works for you
Build thread here
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Not to many pictures of other work but I also purchased a head gasket set which comes with everything you need to replace apart from the actual head gasket.

So I fitted the exhaust downpipe/cat with new gasket to the head.

When refitting the inlet manifold it looked clean at the throttle body end, but the four ports were clogged up a fair bit!
For those that aren’t aware each of the inlet ports has 3 holes, the main air inlet port, the crank case breather port & the EGR valve port. Well the crank case and EGR ports were basically all blocked I’d say only 2 of the 8 extra ports were actually open and the others totally fully covered and doing nothing, so I hope now
I’ve sat for over an hour cleaning the inlet manifold it will help the engine run smoother again :lol: then obviously refitted with a new gasket.

Then the rocker cover all cleaned with new rocker cover rubber gasket used

Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Very slight pointless picture but things slowly going back together

I took some pictures of the old damaged cylinder head. Easy to see the damage now the camshafts out and the tappets removed.

3 different pictures of 3 out of 4 inlet tappets. All four damaged but these 3 the worst.

So basically the cylinder head is scrap. With damage like that it should never have been used previously so I’m glad it’s gone now.

The engine is fully rebuilt with stronger uprated parts now and everything inside and out is spotless, perfectly cleaned and polished. The van drives a million times better, it’s faster, more responsive, quieter, just all round 100% improvement.

Downside... still has a slight misfire which I’m confident is down to a dodgey injector so next step is to replace another injector :)
Liam
Hyper Poster

Post by Liam »

good work pal
Build thread here
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Liam wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 pmgood work pal
Thanks, just typical of a previous bodge job I suppose! Still really pleased I did everything. I know some people think it’s crazy spending money on the SDI engine but I love it personally :D

Just need to live with it for another few weeks then stick my hand in my pocket and get a replacement injector. Then test it in each cylinder until it’s fixed fully.
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Bought some GTI pedals online so thought I’d fit them today, expected abit of a fight with them or to have to glue them in place but really pleased, they went on a nice solid tight fit but not enough to make me want to get the hammer out.

Purchased a fair few little bits and pieces lately so I’ll have more updates over the next week or two.
Liam
Hyper Poster

Post by Liam »

those look great were they expensive ?
Build thread here
Whitey
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Whitey »

The problem is when you get new pedal covers you don't want to put your feet on them :lol:
brooneye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by brooneye »

They do look nice, much better than the plain black rubber ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk