2009 Candy White Caddy

Show off your caddy
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Re: 2009 Candy White Caddy

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Ddraeg wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:37 pm New dash looks much cleaner! Excellent work! Dare I ask how long it took!?
It definitely looks better, so much newer.
It’s a lot nicer place to be anyway since it’s soft and sponger rather than hard plastic with fake trims.

Maybe around 4 hours and that’s being generous. Done it by myself on the windiest day of the year :lol: never done a dashboard before so I’m no expert either.
Touran dashboard, Adjustable armrest, 25th Edition seatbelts, 30th Edition leather/tartan seats, sunglasses holder, Touran carpets and floor mats, Facelift highline cluster, RCD330, reverse camera, Climatic, Mk5 leather MFSW, Cruise control, LED Projector headlights, 16” wheels, Leather handbrake / chrome button, Mk7 gearknob, Auto headlights & Fully carpeted, sound deadened and insulated!
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Barbel330 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:42 pm Nice work on the dash. Any advice or things to watch out for when doing it? Mine is still waiting to be done, weather looks awful yet again this weekend. :(
The weather is never good. I’m wanting to sound deaden, insulate and carpet over the bank holiday but doesn’t look like that’s going to happen with a highs of 4° the glue won’t even set properly.

Nothing really to watch out for, it was easier than I thought. I got the old dash removed in about an hour but took longer refitting was I kept double checking my work and taped up any loose wires etc etc
Touran dashboard, Adjustable armrest, 25th Edition seatbelts, 30th Edition leather/tartan seats, sunglasses holder, Touran carpets and floor mats, Facelift highline cluster, RCD330, reverse camera, Climatic, Mk5 leather MFSW, Cruise control, LED Projector headlights, 16” wheels, Leather handbrake / chrome button, Mk7 gearknob, Auto headlights & Fully carpeted, sound deadened and insulated!
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 »

Well I've started the interior strip down this afternoon on mine and have sound deadened the cab roof and rear roof, then insulated the lot. That silent coat stuff is very sticky so you'll have no problem with it in the crappy weather :)

Dashboard is coming out tomorrow morning come rain or shine :D Nice 4 day weekend so plenty of time.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

I bought the bulk kit of silent coat and dodo insulation so got loads of everything.

I’ve got 7 meters of 4 way stretch carpet so will see how far that gets me for now.

40 quite big sheets of silent coat looks like it will cover the full back inside of the van! with around 6 meters if Insulation to go over the thin areas and then carpet over all that, then ply lined carpet over that again so plenty of layers.

I bought some thick sticky foil tape and expansive foam for any other areas needing attention :)
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Well I noticed the brakes were quite poor when I had to do some heavy braking so thought I’d change the front discs and pads.

A quick inspection showed recently pads fitted on awful discs.

Back of the disc was all shapes, brake pads wernt fitted correctly to start with!! (Day one of vechicle maintenance school fail) and had a really heavy lip on the discs.

Sadly didn’t remember to take an after picture but this is the best I got through the wheel after. :lol:

Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Another little small update.
When I changed the timing belt a few weeks back I noticed the auxiliary belt was in really poor condition and started to fray on the edges.

One new Dayco belt later and problem solved :)

Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

I’ve had a shopping spree lately so got a huge pile of parts so will be updating plenty over the next week or two.

As for this update, it’s one I’m really happy with!

I decided to continue on with the sound deadening, insulating and carpeting. I removed the bulkhead, removed the roof lining and removed all the panels.

The roof had virtually no sound deadening and zero insulation so used around 6 sheets of silent coat and then covered the full roof with DoDo mat insulation, the before and after with the “Tap test” knocking the roof was amazing. I also did similar on the drivers side of the van (having already done the passenger side a week or so ago)

Then started carpeting over everything with the 4 way stretch stuff and got these results.

Still lots to do but really pleased so far.
Ddraeg
100BHP+

Post by Ddraeg »

Sound deadening looks good! I'm gonna have to investigate the DoDo mat insulation. Excellent job on the carpeting, looks awesome!
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Got another 2 hours in today, had to make the most of the weather for now.... so did the rear doors. Same story, sound deadening, insulating then carpeted.

Managed to get the other side carpeted...

And also had time to do the roof.

Still plenty to do with some finishing touches etc... waiting for the led spot lights to get delivered before doing the roof lining properly. Will update again the next time we get some sunshine.
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Started to tackle the floor today. I purchased some ply wood, bubble foil, alloy tape and a large piece of rubber flooring to do the job.

I started off insulating between the gaps and taping over them to help give the floor some strength so the ply wood didn’t flex and fall into the grooves.

I then rolled a full length piece of bubble foil insulation over the top (which I cut to size then used as a template for the ply wood)

With that all taped into place, I cut the plywood to size and dropped it over the bubble foil. I left about an inch gap at the bulkhead and around 10mm for the trim at the back doors. This was to allow the rubber flooring to dip down under all the trims and still fit back into place.

No pictures of the ply but I’m sure you get the idea. I then rolled the rubber mat out and cut it roughly into place. I then went round again cutting carefully and tucking under the plastic panels.

Really pleased with the results and the little cost involved to make a big difference.
I haven’t driven the van yet but I hope it will be quieter again now.
Ddraeg
100BHP+

Post by Ddraeg »

Excellent work on the flooring! Looks very professional. What did you use to hold your rubber matting down to your ply or are you simply just tucking it behind the trim etc?

Do you have a link to where you sourced all your materials from aswell? I am going to be needing to do something very similar to this.

Thanks!
Klein
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Klein »

Nice van and a job I should do

out of interest did it take long to remove bulk head?
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Ddraeg wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:48 am Excellent work on the flooring! Looks very professional. What did you use to hold your rubber matting down to your ply or are you simply just tucking it behind the trim etc?

Do you have a link to where you sourced all your materials from aswell? I am going to be needing to do something very similar to this.

Thanks!
I applied some spray glue to a few areas to hold it down. If you can see the edges are cut to a fairly tight shape up to the wheel arches. I removed all the plastic trims and tucked it under them all. Then screwed / clipped them back down so it’s all solid.

Sound deadening and insulation was from
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1155678947

Carpet and glue was from
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2682035237

Rubber flooring was from
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1479118824

Rest was just bits and pieces really :)
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Klein wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm Nice van and a job I should do

out of interest did it take long to remove bulk head?
Removing the bulk head was really easy, I’ve taken it in and out about 4 times doing the full job. Few torx screws down each side and a few 10mm plastic bolts holding them together.

Can be removed in a few minutes.
Ddraeg
100BHP+

Post by Ddraeg »

Hutchysrs50 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 pm I applied some spray glue to a few areas to hold it down. If you can see the edges are cut to a fairly tight shape up to the wheel arches. I removed all the plastic trims and tucked it under them all. Then screwed / clipped them back down so it’s all solid.

Sound deadening and insulation was from
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1155678947

Carpet and glue was from
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2682035237

Rubber flooring was from
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1479118824

Rest was just bits and pieces really :)
Thanks for the details! I'll let you know how mine goes! Another quick one; how did you remove the rear threshold? I can't seem to get mine to release! I've removed the two loops for securing loads but it seems to be held in the centre around the lock mechanism.

EDIT: I have just found an article on this which says there are additional torx head bolts beneath the threshold covered by the caps. I'll have another go at it later!