Tp's Caddy conversion

Show off your caddy
Tp88
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Tp's Caddy conversion

Post by Tp88 »

Hi All,

Been browsing for a few weeks now, thought it's about time I add something on here.

Bagged my self a 2010 VW Caddy with just below 90k miles on it having had a new cam belt and handbrake just installed. The plan is to convert it into something me and the fiancee can do a bit of touring up in Scotland in. Originally I hadn't planned on making any big modifications but having joined this forum my original thoughts have now escalated due to everyone else build.

First starting points are:

- New sat nav/dab/mp3 radio (aftermarket)
- Add rear parking camera
- Adding central console
- Speaker system
- Insulate the back
- Build a bed cover over the arches with pull out storage below

In the long run I'm tempted on:

- Remapping the engine
- lowering
- automatic lighting
- GTI mk3 seats or something similar
- Underseat sub and potentially rear speakers
- up the wheels from 17" to 18/19
Last edited by Tp88 on Tue May 01, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Re: Tp's Caddy conversion

Post by Tp88 »

First bits of progress.

Bog standard replica RN510 from eBay - clunky system but does the job!

Camera has turned out to be a bit of a nightmare.. typical newbee. Running it into the reverse light only alows it to be on when the ignition isn't. Have read up and totally get I need to tap it into a constant 12V with a relay but in my attempt's I've failed. Can't work it out for the life in me even after trying to use power free the cig lighter... I'll come back to that at a later date.
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

To summarise:

Had a few issues fitting the new sat nav, there was a spacer out so it wouldn't fit snug. Dab fitted fine, the side pannel was a pain in the arse to put back on!

Add the USB which i've now cut out to fit the slot so it fits snug.

The camera continues to be an issue...

Had my first sleep in a few weeks ago at a cycling event in Kielder... Thought I'll be right without the insulation and just wrap up warm, learnt my lesson that night. Nearly froze to death!

Bagged a central touran console from the scrap yard for 25, has some damage but hoping I'll be able to fix it to make it fit. Was hoping to make progress on new speakers but given I'm doing the North Coast 500 end of June I felt the priority needed to be insulation and panels.

All set for some insulation
Hutchysrs50
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Hutchysrs50 »

Aha looks a familiar sight, out vans are identical. The back of my van looked like that a week or so ago. Have a look at my project thread for how I did mine.
Touran dashboard, Adjustable armrest, 25th Edition seatbelts, 30th Edition leather/tartan seats, sunglasses holder, Touran carpets and floor mats, Facelift highline cluster, RCD330, reverse camera, Climatic, Mk5 leather MFSW, Cruise control, LED Projector headlights, 16” wheels, Leather handbrake / chrome button, Mk7 gearknob, Auto headlights & Fully carpeted, sound deadened and insulated!
Ddraeg
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Ddraeg »

Your Caddy is very similar to mine and your plans are also very similar! I'm currently at the same stage to you, starting on the insulation in the rear! Do you plan on sound deadening? I cheaped out and used Flashband, definitely made a difference though!
Keep up the good work! Very interested to see how this turns out!
TonyC
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by TonyC »

Have a look at this thread, it may help you with your camera powering issue, mean you will have to run another cable from the front but best to figure this out before insulating. Euro car parts are doing power cable for around £2. I just done mine last week and ran power from the front due to no rear wiper which you can also tap into for power.

http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ra#p254121
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Hutchysrs50 wrote:Aha looks a familiar sight, out vans are identical. The back of my van looked like that a week or so ago. Have a look at my project thread for how I did mine.
I’ll take a look! Nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Ddraeg wrote:Your Caddy is very similar to mine and your plans are also very similar! I'm currently at the same stage to you, starting on the insulation in the rear! Do you plan on sound deadening? I cheaped out and used Flashband, definitely made a difference though!
Keep up the good work! Very interested to see how this turns out!
I hadn’t thoughts about sound deafening tbh - budget is a bit stretched but I think as you’ve said, it’s worth it in the long run! I’ll take a look at using flash band! Nice one

Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

TonyC wrote:Have a look at this thread, it may help you with your camera powering issue, mean you will have to run another cable from the front but best to figure this out before insulating. Euro car parts are doing power cable for around £2. I just done mine last week and ran power from the front due to no rear wiper which you can also tap into for power.

http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ra#p254121
Cheers Tony! Appreciate the link - aye I tried to take lowed from the lighter but I can’t work it out... from what I’ve seen it looks like the rear part where the camera is needs power as well as the wire that plugs into the stereo? I’ll figure it out soon all being well!

Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Picked up the touran central console today, it’s a bit damaged and the arm rest doesn’t function properly, something due to the spring not working right and a few catching points on the mechanism. Got stuck in...
ImageImage

The central console looks like it could be more of a challenge then first thought. Feel I might be being optimistic by thinking I can swap them out without taking the seats out. Based on what I’ve seen it looks like I might need to remove the seats? Och, it’ll be right!

TonyC
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by TonyC »

Tp88 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:50 pm Cheers Tony! Appreciate the link - aye I tried to take lowed from the lighter but I can’t work it out... from what I’ve seen it looks like the rear part where the camera is needs power as well as the wire that plugs into the stereo? I’ll figure it out soon all being well!

There should be a red wire as a trigger wire to send a signal when you select reverse, depending on your headunit it may do this through the canbus and not need connected like mine. I just have an android Chinese head unit. This trigger wire you would hook up into your reverse light. The second red wire would be your power cable which you can take power from your rear wiper motor or take it from up front and perhaps from the headunit like that thread was showing, then there is the earth wire which i just mounted in the back door. Hope this helps?
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

So without guidance I decided to crack on with the central console. Probably not a great idea. Managed to get the old one off with difficulty but realised soon I wouldn’t get the touran central console on without removing the hand brake wire(or bit that bolt the wire too it).

Also need to cut a small piece out for it to fit... thinking I might bodge it and cut the plastic to make it fit as it’s going to be covered anyway! Bit of a faf.

On order:

Focal A165 speakers
Flash band
Forever black
Speaker adapters

More next weekend...

Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Anyone know what speaker adapters are needed for focal 165s?

Craig2681
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Craig2681 »

looking good so far mate
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Couple of tweaks today - tweeters set in but not wired up yet, ordered the wrong speaker adapters so decided to attempt to make my own... they ain’t pretty but hopefully they’ll do. Not convinced the sound deadening was necessary on the speaker adapters but I’ve got plenty so thought I may as well!ImageImage