Tp's Caddy conversion

Show off your caddy
Ddraeg
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Re: Tp's Caddy conversion

Post by Ddraeg »

Very interested to hear about the difference in sound quality on this! I may invest in new speakers myself... Although I think it's quite far down the mod list. In addition to tweeter and door speakers are you fitting an amp or sub?
Van's coming along mate, keep it up!
Tp88
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Tp88 »

Thanks!

Speakers were top on my list, even before fitting the rear bed to be honest. The quality of sound makes a massive difference so it's worth the investment in my opinion!

Aye as I said I'm 'making it up as a go along' in terms of the sound deadening and I'm also not entirely sure how easy it is to wire it all into the head unit but I can give it a stab!

Going to try and sort the rear camera out tonight.

Also passed a thought today re using Forever Black to paint the door cards... Again, not sure if it's worth the effort?
chrs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by chrs »

Good thread so far, looking forward to seeing the 'camper' part of the conversion progress as we're planning on doing something similar when we eventually get a caddy!
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Weekend on the right tracks... central console going in.

Want to fit the new focal speakers but not entirely sure about wiring it up :-/ any advice?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Tp's Caddy conversion

Post by Tp88 »

Almost...

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Success!Image

Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

So with little information as to where to splice into the speakers, I went full steam ahead on the basis of common sense and what’s the worst that could happen?

Right side door focal speaker now fitted, cross over and tweeter too. The sound quality is mega compared to the standard woofer!Image

To start off with I fit the speaker with my home made adapters, wired it all up to the crossover having spliced the original connection and fit that directly to the cross over.

My main issue was trying to figure out how to wire the tweet across to the door given there didn’t seem to be an easy way (the plug I originally thought was a hole was actually a connecting plug point so there wasn’t a hole).

I thought I might have to settle with a really shitty job and drill a hole through the side of the door card and just have a wire hanging when the door opens. With a bit of faffing I found a circular plug that I’d totally missed before, fed the wires through that and job was a good’en (Relief!!!).

Going to fit the left hand side tomorrow, then it’s onto sound proofing and insulation in the rear.

Rear camera is still a goat F*%#. Couldn’t wire it into the wiper despite testing for a 12v , yapping earth into 1 and power into 5. Just didn’t get a signal so I’ve just called it a day and running it from the radio which is working at the minute. I’ll have to see how long my battery lasts!

Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 »

Could you not have had the crossovers up in the dash behind the glovebox or somewhere, then splice into the factory speaker wires coming from the multi plug on the back of the headunit? That's how mine are. That way you dont have to run wires through the doors as you're using the factory loom still.

I'm sure it'll still work fine though so not a big deal.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Barbel330 wrote:Could you not have had the crossovers up in the dash behind the glovebox or somewhere, then splice into the factory speaker wires coming from the multi plug on the back of the headunit? That's how mine are. That way you dont have to run wires through the doors as you're using the factory loom still.

I'm sure it'll still work fine though so not a big deal.

Probably could have done that but I did nae know what to splice through on the loom at the back so I thought I might as well make crack on! Works fine to be fair!

Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Flash band in... dennae look the closely...

Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Was going to start insulating this week but the insulation I’ve got looks like it might retain moisture... back to the drawing board. Anyone have any tips on how to prevent this? I was told that stuffing the cavities with insulation could end up making the inside of the van go rusty?

Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Slow progress at the minute. Rear camera is being a total nightmare and despite spending lots of time trying to sort it I seem to be getting no where!

Started blackening the trims to neaten it up before I start with insulation. Want to make a start on the front and rear numbers soon.

Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

You wanna look at people’s builds. There are loads of different ways to be honest. Lots of people use the bitumen backed stuff like silent coat. I also noticed some use plastic roof insulation just looks like shredded paper. They put that in the beams and duck taped the holes. Just spend some time looking at build threads I promise you it will be worth your while. Rather than jumping in. Your putting a lot of effort in don’t want to go back and have to re do it.

Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

Aye good shout - I'm looking about but as you say there's so many different ways that it's becoming more difficult what the best way is, or most accessible with my resources/tools/ability. Tricky one.

Thinking in terms of the insulation I feel pretty set on using wool insulation for the cavities along with silver foil bubble wrap and then adding a wooden beam to clad the sides so it has a slight vapour barrier. I've spoke to friends with T5 who have done a similar setup and have said they pop one of the front windows slightly open so the air still has room to circulate and that prevents the wool going soggy.

I then thought if it causes issues, in the long run, I can wiring in a roof fan to circulate the air.
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Well be more methodical. Work out what you want.

Insulation water resistant research that.
Heat how you getting it.
Do you need a extra power supply.
Extra lighting.
Ventilation
If your making beds and that if your running cables how do you get to them?

Just a few??