Blackberry mountain bike day van /camper conversion

Show off your caddy
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Blackberry mountain bike day van /camper conversion

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

Made a sort of table today so I can have the stove on the rear door. It ain’t pretty but is functional. Made using some lining ply that I had lying about.

First routered out the existing bit of ply

Then cut some supports

And finally a table top

At some point I’ll work out a way to store the bits neatly on the door but fairly happy with it. Not sure how it’ll work in practice, possibly a bit too high but that’s not the end of the world.

Might finally attempt the wiring/leisure battery if the weather isn’t too shit tomorrow, or otherwise try and rig up a sort of awning to go on top of the barn doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
owdi
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Re: Blackberry mountain bike day van /camper conversion

Post by owdi »

Following this one.. I was purchased a split charger for my 2012 but had to return it when I was informed that facelift Caddy 2011-2015 (approx) are Euro5 and they need a more specific type of split charger. I guess this has all been covered on this forum but I'm new to it and not come across that info yet, but my understanding is that a Euro5 compliant vehicles don't run the alternator constantly, so traditional split chargers are no good.
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

I’m following this too. I’ve done some research into the leisure / aux battery thing and the split relay won’t work. It means getting a DC-DC type system, costing nearly £200 for something like the Sterling Power BB1230 however they look like they have the EU5 / EU6 charging nailed.

Couple of videos here explain it well, and better than I could.

https://youtu.be/cJlk2nMGrys

https://youtu.be/OudqpMxrel0

Nice Caddy!
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
Calamity Kev
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Calamity Kev »

I'm just finishing building a battery tray with a Sterling BB1230 ready to fit, i'll post some ics once installed and setup. I'm Euro 6 and it appears to be the only way to go.
Ride Bikes Drink Beer
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

Bugger, hadn't realised that. Do all post-2011 vans have them or is there a way of knowing for sure that it's got a smart alternator?

The next couple of months are busy with motorsport and then paying for ski holidays, so the extra money on a £180 split charge may have to wait a bit! In the interim think I'll still wire up a battery to lights and sockets to make the van more usable, then just charge the battery at home.

Anyone want to buy a Durite split charge relay? :lol:
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

The guy in the first video link I posted explains how to check. Basically plug a volt meter into a 12v socket and drive around for 15 minutes. If the voltage fluctuates wildly you have a smart alternator.
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
JD2k
Twin Turbo poster

Post by JD2k »

I’ve just fitted a Durite spilt charge relay system to my 2012 1.6tdi.. I’ve not come across any problems and have tested the starter battery voltage a couple of times.. I’ll double check for any fluctuations while driving, thanks for the info lads
ImageImageImage
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If you have start/stop you'd be best using the smart split charger as the alternator can but out almost 15v while regenerative braking. If you don't have a AGM battery or other suitable for this high voltage, you may do harm.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

Thankfully don't have start/stop but will do the volt meter check.
Shaunie P
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Shaunie P »

Has to be the best colour IMHO
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by caddychris2002 »

Where did people get with the battery thing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

www.dav-tec.co.uk
www.facebook.com/davteceng
Autowatch Ghost Installer
Mods:
145bhp map : Audi Q5 Seats, Polo Wing Mirrors, Touran R-Line rear bumper, Mk8 Golf Gti Front bumper, Sprayed in Honey Orange. Touran rear seat conversion, Bentley alloys, Stance plus coilover kit, caddy alltrak arch and skirt kit,mk7 golf gti steering wheel, Ghost immobiliser, Discover Media headunit, Kenwood underseat sub
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

I didn't confirm if I have Euro5/6 but have basically decided that I'll need the expensive split charge option. However at the minute I have been coping fine as the only power I really need is for lights, and I can run them off a USB charger. At some point I need to complete the wiring but even then I may only hook up to a leisure battery that I charge at home rather than through split charge. The only thing that I'd really like to sort is the ability to have the lights on a switch, rather than plugging them in every time.
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by caddychris2002 »

I've ordered one of these. Might do the same as you get the battery and then save for the charge system

MASO 4 Hole Toggle Switch Panel with Dual USB Socket Charger 2.1A&2.1A + LED Voltmeter + 12V Power Outlet + ON-OFF Toggle Switch 4 in 1 Multi-function Panel for Marine Car Boat Truck Trailer Camper Motorhome Mobiles (Red) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H4B5R8N/ ... UBbZB2G34F

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

www.dav-tec.co.uk
www.facebook.com/davteceng
Autowatch Ghost Installer
Mods:
145bhp map : Audi Q5 Seats, Polo Wing Mirrors, Touran R-Line rear bumper, Mk8 Golf Gti Front bumper, Sprayed in Honey Orange. Touran rear seat conversion, Bentley alloys, Stance plus coilover kit, caddy alltrak arch and skirt kit,mk7 golf gti steering wheel, Ghost immobiliser, Discover Media headunit, Kenwood underseat sub
sharky4642
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by sharky4642 »

Hi I have a Ring RSCDC30 smart split charger installed in my 2013 bluemotion caddy and its really good I would highly recommend it if you are looking at getting a split charger. I have it hooked up to a 110ah battery and it copped really well on a week away to the lakes. the bonus is its a bit cheaper than the smart systems.