Blackberry mountain bike day van /camper conversion

Show off your caddy
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

This is unlikely to rival some of the other builds on here, but I thought I'd keep a bit of a thread going...or at least try to.

For the last 2 years I've been driving a Renault Twingo RS, besides being a very manly car it's also really good fun.

It was also surprisingly practical for such a small car, I think there are two bikes in it in this picture...I definitely had two bikes loaded in the back of it on several ocassions

and with a bit of effort I managed to convert it to a 'camper' for a couple of weekends away (couldn't take the bike though). It was surprisingly comfortable and I managed 7 hours solid sleep one night

but it never really properly fit the bill, especially as I'd like to start having a few weekends away that I can take the bike with me and not bother with AirBnB (although buying a Caddy is slightly more expensive than just paying for a room somewhere). So I've bought this lovely 2014 Blackberry Caddy, it's got a few marks here and there but is generally in pretty good condition for the age. It also has Sportline alloys and a fancy Kenwood head unit.

Gratuitous arse shot

I picked it up yesterday and first job was to rip out the bulkhead, which mean I also had to take out the flooring, at least it gave me a chance to clean it.
Before

During

After

I didn't get any more photos but the rest of the day (and most of today) was spent getting a bit of a frame sorted for the bed. Going to get that sized right and then move on to insulation, leisure battery/wiring and maybe a bit of stretch carpetting in the back. I also managed to remove the roof rack, fit the mount for the mountain bike and wired up a reversing camera I picked up. The camera was only £12 but was plug & play on the head unit, the only hassle was how to mount it at the back and get power/cables to it. In the end I've positioned it in the recess for the door handle (you can make out the 4 LEDs on the gratuitous arse shot above). Seems like a neat little solution and doesn't get in the way too much, also meant that I didn't have to drill anything.

Hopefully I'll get the first part of the bed finished during the evenings this week, will try to remember to take a couple of photos along the way but it's not going to be anything radically different to a lot of the other projects on here (I've been reading loads of them for inspiration).
Liam
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Blackberry mountain bike day van /camper conversion

Post by Liam »

best of luck looking forward to seeing where u go with this build
2016 2.0 Tdi Mk4 Trendline caddy 160bhp
Remapped by Joe Power at TDR.ie www.tdr.ie
Build thread here
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34976
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

The Caddy will feel like a Camping MANSION :lol:

Good work.
Led Sandwich
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by Led Sandwich »

Nice work mate ill follow this as its pretty much what I plan to do with mine.
Balderz
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Balderz »

Nice base I’m looking at doing same once I move house and sell m6 Merc to fund project van
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

NZDubNurd wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:17 am The Caddy will feel like a Camping MANSION :lol:
Yeah, at 6ft and 17st the Twingo wasn't really an ideal car to sleep in.
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

Slow progress but getting there. Did the left half of the van in SilentCoat yesterday evening and it's already made a big difference, looking forward to the difference it makes once I've done the roof and other side.

This evening have been working on the bed again, still need to fix all the slats down (only done two so far) but at least getting an idea of what it's going to be like. Tomorrow will hopefully be able to get it properly fixed and measure up for the mattress. Then it all has to come out so I can do insulation and some routing of cables for when I do the leisure battery. Also does anyone know how much stretch carpet I'll need to do the sides, roof and doors.

Narrow bed

Wide

With bike loaded

The black thing on the left wheel arch is a magnetic thing for holding tools. It's actually a really stupid position to put any tools on and they kept falling off, but is great for holding the front wheel of the bike as the disc just clips straight to it.
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

Did insulation on the roof yesterday evening. Had already covered with Dodomat so stuffed some recycled plastic stuff in the cross member and covered with foil tape. Then taped some thin plastic up to the main part of the ceiling and bunged the recycled plastic stuff above that and taped it all in place before putting the ceiling liner up. It wasn't pretty and I was in a rush so didn't stop for photos. Off to Dartmoor this evening to stay overnight and then get up early to head out on the bike
nodeward
100BHP+

Post by nodeward »

What is the bracket you have to hold the bike? Is it just that that holds it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

It’s similar to this, although it sits on a base plate instead so I can remove it easily https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2641558565

Could do with being a bit more upright. Basically holds the bike on its own, although I also take the front wheel off and the axle sits in a block of wood. Will try to post some photos later. I also picked up a magnet that fota to the wall that’s supposed to hold tools, works brilliantly for holding the front wheel as the magnet holds the disc. Like these https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p76292 ... 4gEALw_wcB
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

Remembered to take some photos but don’t show a lot. The green cushion on the floor is being used to stop the bed sliding about, hopefully will get it all properly fixed this weekend.

The bracket is fixed into a larger bit of ply behind the panel so the load is spread, although it still flexes at times.

nodeward
100BHP+

Post by nodeward »

Perfect, that’s just what I’m after. Wanted to try and keep both wheels on so maybe one of this brackets then something to hold the front wheels on the floor

Bs1k
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bs1k »

Nice project..looking great 👍🏽
SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

nodeward wrote:Perfect, that’s just what I’m after. Wanted to try and keep both wheels on so maybe one of this brackets then something to hold the front wheels on the floor

You can just about keep both wheels on if you turn the front (and assume your bike has similar wheelbase to mine). Not sure you could do it with the bulkhead still in though and probably want something to protect the back of the seat.

SnoodyMcFlude
Caddy Fan

Post by SnoodyMcFlude »

Did a bit more work in the ridiculous heat today, mostly stuff that you can’t see. Finally got around to putting silent coat on the drivers side, then insulated it with dodo mat and recycled plastic stuff. Did some fine tuning to the bed and also put some tee nuts in the floor so I can bolt it in place, a bit more fine tuning needed for those at some point. Next jobs will be insulation to the near side and then the leisure battery and wiring. After that I’ll start thinking about storage and how to do finishing. Thinking of carpet to the sides and ceiling, might leave the floor as it is.

Bed in place

I’ve split the bed in two sections, partly to make it easier to get it in and out, but also to make it easier to pull out when the bike is in there, especially if it’s raining.