Caddy Maxi MTB/Day Van

Show off your caddy
Calamity Kev
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Caddy Maxi MTB/Day Van

Post by Calamity Kev »

Nice work Dave!

Loving the trailfork map on the headlining. i've been thinking of similar ideas myself to try and customise the front and rear as the carpet looks a bit boring by itself.
Ride Bikes Drink Beer
davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by davecamus »

Cheers Kev- Yeh hence why i went for blue carpet and the headlining just for something a bit different! Just got to get those power sockets in and carpeted and should be looking a lot more 'finished'... going to bolt the bike rack in too as it did move about a bit with the downhill bike on.
nodeward
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by nodeward »

Ahh ok, mines a bluemotion, dammit!

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Skully
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Skully »

This thread has inspired me to carpet the rear of my Caddy.
Well done on a brilliant job, Dave.
1996 Mk3 VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi 2.0 TDI
2013 RSV4 track bike
2021 Aprilia RS 660 road bike
davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

Pretty sure CalamityKev has a smart alternator setup. The pre facelift bluemotion and the new shape are all smart alternators I'm lead to believe...
nodeward wrote:Ahh ok, mines a bluemotion, dammit!

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

Awesome! Show your progress and get a build thread going!! It's really not as hard as you might think.
Skully wrote:This thread has inspired me to carpet the rear of my Caddy.
Well done on a brilliant job, Dave.

davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

Big push last night after work to get bits done...

Wired in usb sockets for the rear of the van - charging phone/bike wash. Wiring goes underneath the side step from the rear of the passenger seat and up behind the panelling.

Holes drilled in the side panel for the light switches and charging sockets

Carpeted panel and pushed in the usb and switches - looks neat!

Had an issue with the LEDs not working but turned out to be a dodgy fuse/fusebox connection so need to swop that around when I get a chance.

I also put a matching set of usb and cigarette lighter in the bulkhead so can use them if sat at the side doors.

Finally fitted up and looking swanky! The main bit of the van is now done!!! Just needs some trim for the side steps and rear step, insulation under the floor. Next job is lowering and a bed putting in over Christmas.

ImageImage

allywatt
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by allywatt »

Interested to see your ply lining - did you use one continuous piece on each side of the van? Did you batten out first behind the ply, or is the ply fixed direct with self tappers? Lovely thread, many thanks.
Toeknee
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Toeknee »

Nice work on this. Gives me some confidence I may be able to pull off something similar!
davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

allywatt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:04 pm
Once piece per side yep, i battoned at the rear doors just because it needed lifting off to create a nice curve - the hardest part was making the cardboard templates. The carpet covering hides all sins though!!
davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

Okay, not posted in here for a while, but been very busy making the worlds most efficient Caddy bedframe.

I've seen loads of cool designs on here which gavce me loads of inspiration but I really wanted to be able to sit up in bed and use the bed as a proper seat - from most designs ive seen are well above the wheelarch - I wanted mine to slide over the wheelarch so the bedframe can be as low as possible which will just make everything easier (apart from having less space underneath the bed)

To counteract the low bed, I wanted to not have a leg in the centre of the bedframe as a lot do, and also utilise the wheelarch space behind the bed.

To do this I made the bed from beech (my dad has a woodturning shop so I had access to a lot of machinery which enabled a 'proper job' to be done!)

I created a beech frame which wrapped around the wheelarch and sat on the side step. I also made a cover for the rear step so the bedframe could be tucked up right to the rear doors, again to utilise the space better.

There was a piece of ply put between the bedframe and the wheelarch - when the bedframe is slid out slightly this can be accessed for any bits that I need to store, coats, shoes etc.

The frame was slatted with 9mm ply. I'm going to pin and glue a 4mm sheet to the top of the slider to stop the slats splaying out over time.

The mattress was off ebay for like £60, only a 10cm thick one but is comfy enough! needs to be trimmed to size and cut in half. I plan on making some covers and a zip so they can be zipped together...

Obviously needed to make the outside as good as the inside so managed to get some 18 inch FoxMS007s from a friend, and finally got round to fitting H&R springs and darkside rear hangers. Think the height is pretty spot on and the ride is so much better! Feels more responsive and flatter in the corners, less road noise and just faster in the corners which is the main thing right?!

Pretty pleased with how it's turning out, just need to finish the last bits on the bedframe, spray it in lacquer and get my mum to help with the sewing and making some mattress covers! Hoping for it to be somewhere near for going away for a few days to cornwall in June.
Gary.8
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Gary.8 »

Looking good
chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

Top work.. That is really smart.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

kitryder
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by kitryder »

Just stumbled across your build - gonna steal a couple of your ideas for my Caddy I think!
R22LRM
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by R22LRM »

Great thread pal, love the roof lining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R22LRM
Mk5 Tfsi powered