full respray. INFO AND OPINIONS PLEASE

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Neilywheely
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

full respray. INFO AND OPINIONS PLEASE

Post by Neilywheely »

:?

looking info and peoples opinions.

around the start of the new year sometime before show season starts again im looking to get all my caddy bits fitted (touran front bumper, touran mirrors, sportline spoiler, and all colour coded and and van minted basically.

as van has good few dents around it best price i have got to do all this work and full respray (apart from roof) keeping standard colour raven blue is around £1600.

what im looking to know is will the paint be as good a finish as it left the factory or will u be able to tell its been painted again? this painter seems to be pretty good but there is alot of dents needing filled and i would be scared if down the line sometime these started to react and bubble as iv seen on other cars before.

if this was the case would i just be better saving towards a new van and putting the money towards it? im scared of spending £1600 and not happy with end job and feel like i will have wasted it.

thanks
If you can get over ramps shes not low enough... lol
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Re: full respray. INFO AND OPINIONS PLEASE

Post by dan@biali »

I doubt a full respray for that price would be a factory finish. It certainly wouldn't be show standard. Double it and you're closer to what a proper painter would charge. It all depends what they have to do to get the van prepped - the prep probably costs more than the paint, and bad prep will end up as a bad paint job.
Neilywheely
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Neilywheely »

dan@biali wrote:I doubt a full respray for that price would be a factory finish. It certainly wouldn't be show standard. Double it and you're closer to what a proper painter would charge. It all depends what they have to do to get the van prepped - the prep probably costs more than the paint, and bad prep will end up as a bad paint job.
see this is what im afraid of. i want this to be as mint as possible but unfortnatly with new house on way i cant really aford much more but dont want to waste my money if its not goina be good finish.
If you can get over ramps shes not low enough... lol
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

The old adage of 'you get what you pay for' is true in getting a good paint job. I had my R32 resprayed by someone I thought I could trust. They had to paint front bumper, bonnet, n/s wing and door and the bootlid. I got quoted £1800. When I first collected it, all looked good. Then after a month or 2, I started noticing issues. Went back and they agreed to repaint it. They called me to come and have a look as they were having trouble blending it. They said they would paint the whole thing minus the roof at their cost. Again, when I picked it up it looked fine, but over time its dulled, a lot of the plastics don't match the metalwork (I know this is tricky anyway but this is really noticeable), some of the lacquer on what is likely to be the original paint is peeling where it wasn't prepped properly and when a boot blend they had installed kept cracking, they completely wiped their hands of it.

If it was a mates rate price you've been quoted, then you might stand a chance of getting a decent job, but if you're looking at getting show standard, as I said before, it will be north of £3k.
Reggie
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Reggie »

£1600 for a full respray sounds ridiculously cheap, even a mates rates. I know there are a few chaps in here that paint for a living, and I think they'll agree that a huge amount of the work, and therefore cost is the labour involved in prepping it right. To have anything like a long lasting, high quality 'factory' finish or better, this bit simply can't be rushed or skimped on.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a cheap respray - you'll pay for it one way or another long term.
SAL
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by SAL »

Some people pay to much for paint by the sound of it! I suppose I'm lucky enough to have a body shop I have used for about 8 years now and pretty much just pay for cost of materials. At a guess to paint the whole van and all the bits to be colour coded and maybe a day for a dent man £1500-2000 is about right.

If its going to be more, cut your loses, sell up and get a newer / cleaner van!
taras_caddy
100BHP+

Post by taras_caddy »

that doesn't cover paint, materials and labour
RS Dawe
broadmoor
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by broadmoor »

SAL wrote:Some people pay to much for paint by the sound of it! I suppose I'm lucky enough to have a body shop I have used for about 8 years now and pretty much just pay for cost of materials. At a guess to paint the whole van and all the bits to be colour coded and maybe a day for a dent man £1500-2000 is about right.

If its going to be more, cut your loses, sell up and get a newer / cleaner van!

Bang on the money there....I'm watching new shapes not make 6k in the auctions these days.

Each to there own I suppose.. ;)
SAL
Hyper Poster

Post by SAL »

taras_caddy wrote:that doesn't cover paint, materials and labour
Well maybe you no more? All I can say is a well known body shop said £800 to make and paint / fit my mk7 front. That's with me giving them the bumpers to chop. My body shop is going to be half that and I no the work will be 100% by either.

So that's why over 2k seems alot for me I suppose
Stuvw
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Stuvw »

I'm having mine done fingers crossed next week.full respray in pure grey,fully colour coded and stereo surround 1k
taras_caddy
100BHP+

Post by taras_caddy »

what paint do you use Broadmoor? I only use R-M
Attachments
DSCN2435.JPG
RS Dawe
downhill-monsta
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by downhill-monsta »

Danny [aka Taras_caddy] does very nice work :)
broadmoor
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by broadmoor »

taras_caddy wrote:what paint do you use Broadmoor? I only use R-M
Dulux on walls and maybe a decent gloss on the second fixings...I find covers most aspects of the home.
taras_caddy
100BHP+

Post by taras_caddy »

sorry ment to ask sal what paint he uses
RS Dawe
SAL
Hyper Poster

Post by SAL »

taras_caddy wrote:sorry ment to ask sal what paint he uses
I dont, they do http://www.hcandp.co.uk/ Excuse the historic web site, They dont really do any advertising these days