Winter storage

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Badgerous
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Winter storage

Post by Badgerous »

Hi all
I am heading away with work for 6 months so the caddy will be sitting outside the house until May.
Plan at the moment is to service it before I go and have the auld lad run it around the estate every few weeks. I am declaring it off the road to save on tax so don't think he will take it for a proper run.
Is there anything I need to be concerned about having it lying around for so long. My main concern at the moment is the turbo or is the turbo even a concern? Is there anything else I need to sort before I go?
Thanks
Brian
J200ESY
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Winter storage

Post by J200ESY »

id be most worried about people seeing it parked up for 6 months and not moving much,
when ever ive had to leave a motor because am working away, i always try park it in a mates drive or at a work place, with locked gates..
but mechcanical wise I would say brakes binding and pitting discs, and make sure new antifreeze is in it,
but youve said your getting a full service so happy days.
also get the engine warmed up to temp everyweek..
KEEP ON KEEPING ON
Reggie
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Reggie »

It'll be fine, my last E30 BMW sat on my drive for nearly 3 years without moving, but I put a battery on it, turned the key and it started fine. Brakes were noisy and bad until the surface rust went, but that was it. 6 months is nothing. If your boy can't take it for a decent drive then I'd consider not asking him to start it at all, unless it's properly run up to temperature you can end up doing more harm than good. Top the fuel tank up to help prevent condensation forming in it, blow the tyres up to 45psi, consider using a battery charger/conditioner to save that going dead.
Postman_bat
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Postman_bat »

The brakes will rust anyway
We've just stored ur mk1 golf cabby for the winter parked up left in gear handbrake off
No seizing issues then