Horace's Caddy

Show off your caddy
horace01
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Horace's Caddy

Post by horace01 »

Hi All,

OK so I thought it was about time I started posting a few pictures of the van.

I've had it for a few months now and have started doing a few little changes to it.

My plan is to turn it into a small camper for kitesurfing trips and weekends away.

I dont have a lot of money so where I can I am happy to use non oem bits and pieces if its going to save me a few bucks.

As I'm in Australia sourcing parts from OS can be very expensive so that will also influence my buying decisions.
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horace01
Hyper Poster

Re: Horace's Caddy

Post by horace01 »

Here is the van when I first got it

All pretty standard stuff.

On the drive home one of the OEM wind deflectors flew off so the first mod was to install a new eBay pair.
Last edited by horace01 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

This weekend I picked up a set of Golf GTI seats. The guy told me they were from 2009 but the labels on them indicate 2011

Hope this won't cause me any issues when trying to fit them.
Last edited by horace01 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Did a little sound proofing this weekend too
Last edited by horace01 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

dubvan
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by dubvan »

Looking good, mate. Wish I could find some nice GTi seats like that for reasonable money over here! They should fit in fine on Touran bases, or you could put them on the Caddy ones by doing a little surgery, depends how tall you are.

Jonesy :mrgreen:
dub_nutz
100BHP+

Post by dub_nutz »

Love those seats dude they are gonna look real nice once they are in. don't think ive ever seen a caddy
that colour?
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

dubvan wrote:Looking good, mate. Wish I could find some nice GTi seats like that for reasonable money over here! They should fit in fine on Touran bases, or you could put them on the Caddy ones by doing a little surgery, depends how tall you are.

Jonesy :mrgreen:
I am a little on the short side and dont want to have to add some spacers to regain the height lost by using the GTI seats. Being in Australia and not having the Touran available here I had been considering buying some Touran bases from the UK. Seems to me they are way overpriced though. Saying that I am only looking at the ones on ebay.

Anyway I spotted a pair, with draws on the German ebay site last week for 43 euro and although the freight works out to be 55 euro decided to go ahead and order them. That works out to be around $AU140.00 or about £GBP78.00. The guy off ebay UK wanted £GBP80.00 delivery and £GBP199.00 for the bases. Assuming the ones I have ordered fit OK I will be very pleased.

dub_nutz wrote:don't think ive ever seen a caddy that colour?
Its Lambada Gruen (Lambada Green).

I've never seen another Caddy that colour but the guy I bought it from said he had seen a few around.

Unfortunately the paint is a soft one as opposed to a metallic and it marks and scratches really easily. There are a few scratches down to the undercoat, particularly on the passenger front door that I will need to tend to.

I'm just waiting on the weather to improve after winter and I will be giving the whole van a full detail and machine polish.

Neo
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Neo »

Looking good Horace, I love the colour 8)
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

Love the colour ..I too have bought a caddy in a solid colour .. surf blue to be exact and I agree its soft as hell ...I'm used to metalics and found even the vacuum cleaner hose marks the bumper when cleaning the boot !
pee
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by pee »

Love the seats, the colour of the caddy is definitely love or hate :)

What's the road noise like now you've fitted the dynamat?
Drumbum
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Drumbum »

Looking good bud
"Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes." -- Bill & Ted
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

pee wrote:What's the road noise like now you've fitted the dynamat?
TBH I don't think it makes a significant difference. Definitely a change, but as I say not really that significant. If I was to do it again I would not go to the expense of using genuine Dynamat. Saying that I have yet to finish the job so won't know for sure until its all done.

I tend to have the tunes up pretty loud most of the time so dont really hear much road noise anyway.

Spotlessdetailing
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Spotlessdetailing »

love the seats mate
Name: Spotless Valeting & Detailing
Tel Contact: 07853908152
Email: Callum@spotlessvaleting.co.uk
Swissvax: Approved/Area:Scotland/Perthshire/Perth
Gtechinq: Approved
Unit 59
Lochty
Perth
Ph13NP
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Busy day today. Finished laying the Dynomat on the floor and wall panels.

I decided some time ago to add an OEM USB plug to my non oem ICE system. The VW USB plug that goes into a VW stereo had to be cut off and a regular usb plug added on.

I got hold of a facelift console tray, part number 2K5863284, to fit it to and hooked it all up.

Can now play movies and tunes directly from the usb stick.

I also got around to fitting a reversing camera into the number plate light.

I've read loads of posts re the fact you cannot just power it off the reverse lights due to can-bus issues. Most people just run a 12 volt supply and a relay to get around the issue.

I am using an aftermarket stereo that has a can-bus decoder. It automatically switches to camera when reverse gear is engaged. I just spliced into the reverse camera wire on the can-bus harness for the 12v power and used the earth point in the back LHS of the van for the earth.

Last edited by horace01 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

MMM1978
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by MMM1978 »

Where have you used dynamat, and how much? I'm just about to do mine but if you say it hasn't made much difference, I may hold off.