Van re classified under 2 tonne!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Davo1983
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Re: Van re classified under 2 tonne!

Post by Davo1983 »

Doc wrote: corrected that for you.
Where is this verified? I can't find it anywhere, my caddy is N1 but under 2 tonne...
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

Have a look on dvla site
hatman
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by hatman »

ImageStopped behind this last week.
2020Viper Green High Line, 150ps 6sp DSG Xenons, mfsw, reverse camera, winter pack, folding mirrors, 18” Gloss black Bola B1”s Gloss Black roof/grills
Audisport
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Audisport »

^^^Still allowed to do 70mph on the motorway, that's why.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

A little update from my attempt to reclassify mine. I sent me V5 in with a brief letter about the modified suspension, and the new engine, and had a form back called 'Built up vehicle report' (V627/1) to fill in. A few hoops to jump through as its not a particularly simple form to fill in and they want photo evidence also. I'll update if I hear anything back.
Russie
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Russie »

dan@biali wrote:A little update from my attempt to reclassify mine. I sent me V5 in with a brief letter about the modified suspension, and the new engine, and had a form back called 'Built up vehicle report' (V627/1) to fill in. A few hoops to jump through as its not a particularly simple form to fill in and they want photo evidence also. I'll update if I hear anything back.
Careful they don't award you a 'Q' plate for your trouble or tell you it needs an SVA test before you can put it on the road! :shock:
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, BREAK IT
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

That's what worries me.
gogsie
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by gogsie »

I doubt you'd get a Q plate as at the end of the day its just an engine change. The built up vehicle sounds like someone at DVLA is mistaking your van for a kit car build doh!.
georgehockin
100BHP+

Post by georgehockin »

Surely would it not be easier to say it's got windows and seats init therefor getting it reclassified as a passenger vehicle?
Nickd57
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Nickd57 »

This seems like alot of hassle, i must look at my v5 when i get it through tho as abit para on dual carriageways etc.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

I've had my V5C back from the DVLA and they've adjusted the gross weight from 2188kg to 1988kg. It still says Panel Van as body type and Light Goods Vehicle in taxation class so I've sent them another letter to confirm what that means in regards to the speed limits, and if necessary to put car derived van instead.

My original application letter basically stated that my vehicle was predominantly a show van which had been lowered and was a road legal height, but it wouldn't now be able to carry any significant payload as the tyres could potentially foul the wheelarches which is why I had no intention of carrying heavy loads (was nervous writing this so wouldn't necessarily recommend it!). I included photos of the Caddy in case they needed them but that was more to do with the engine swap. Took about 2.5 weeks for them to return my V5C.
ecosteve
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by ecosteve »

Is the weight an issue with the swb caddys aswell. I didnt even realise the weight would be an issue.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

Yes, the SWB Caddy has a gross weight of over 2000kg, mine said 2188kg.

I've heard back from the DVLA and they won't change the classification to 'car derived van' (CDV). No surprise there. I'm still trying to find the relevant department of the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency to clarify whether a lower weight makes any difference. The info I've seen on their site only talks about cars and car derived vans with the normal speed limits, and commercial vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes have the reduced limits, and there's no reference to the under 2000kg we believe allows us to drive at the normal limits.

Sussex Police have this on their site:

If you are on a dual carriageway and driving a car or motorcycle the national limit is 70mph.
If you are on a single carriageway and driving a car or motorcycle the national speed limit is 60mph.
The national speed limits for goods vehicles, such as non car-based vans, and also for vehicles with more than eight passenger seats are 10mph less than the limits mentioned above.

Someone on another forum back in 2010 got this response from the DfT

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry (copied below) and request that we list car-derived vans: Because of the limited definition in law of a car-derived van, the only test of whether an individual vehicle falls into that category is via a court of law. Government departments cannot make that judgement and so do not issue lists of car-derived vans.

When asked to comment on a specific vehicle this department has applied a rule of thumb that;
- vans sharing the same chassis and body shell with a car but with some of the window apertures filled with metal, appear to satisfy the definition of car-derived van.
- vans comprising a car chassis throughout and the car body-shell from front bumper to “B” post (the door-post behind the front-doors ;with, say, a box body behind), appear to satisfy the definition of car-derived van.

Using those criteria, this Division recently advised an enquirer that the Vauxhall Combo did not appear to be a car-derived van since its wheel-base and track are different from those of the Corsa car. However, we added the caveat that our advice was subject to any decision made in a court of law. In the case of the Vauxhall Combo Kombi; this vehicle appears to be derived from the Combo van not the other way about. And therefore the Combo cannot be described as car-derived.

To answer your last point, about the police application of the law: As the law stands at present the only recourse for a motorist is to challenge the speeding prosecution in court.

I regret that I cannot advise you further.

Malcolm Burch
Senior Policy Advisor
LRI 2
Department for Transport"

Bedfordshire Police say this on their site:

"What is a "car derived van"?

Under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, a "car derived van" is defined as:- "A goods vehicle which is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle and which has a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes."

The important word in this definition is "and" as there are goods vehicles that look as if they are based on a passenger vehicle, but when the manufacturer puts a gross laden weight on the goods vehicle, which is the design weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load that it is designed to carry, and this exceeds 2 tonnes, that vehicle is no longer a car derived van. The van becomes an ordinary goods vehicle under 7.5 tonnes gross weight, and is therefore subject to the speed limits as shown in the Highway Code.

As a "rule of thumb" any van larger than a Vauxhall Astra van will have a gross weight in excess of 2 tonnes and is therefore subject to the reduced "class of vehicle" speed limits. Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, Mercedes Vito, Peugeot Expert and Ford Connect, for example, are restricted vans.

It is immaterial that a goods vehicle may be unladen at the time it is detected exceeding the speed limit. The construction of the vehicle that enables it to be used up to the 7.5 tonnes maximum weight is the relevant criteria."

But, where do we stand? You could argue that technically the Caddy is a CDV - the Life is a CDV I believe on the V5C (I'm guessing though that the Caddy panel van came first and the Life is technically based on that making the Life a van derived car!) and the front from the B pillars forward is Touran. But its interesting that answer from the DfT mentions the Vauxhall Combo as not being considered a CDV because the wheelbase and track are different, unless a court of law sees it differently.
mkvanman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by mkvanman »

Just had a look at my new logbook Revenue weight 1326 kg wonder how I stand.
Audisport
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Van re classified under 2 tonne!

Post by Audisport »

My maxi life is listed as a car Image

Maybe your van is derived from my car?