Anyone done an EGR Delete and mapped the facelift 1.6tdi?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
CJTurner
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Anyone done an EGR Delete and mapped the facelift 1.6tdi?

Post by CJTurner »

Hi all,

fairly new to the forum, searching for a little advice on anyones experiences with the 1.6tdi 102ps engine.
My Caddy is a '61 plate on 62k miles, it's been fully maintained at VW and I'm getting the cambelt and water pump bits all done next week.

An EGR delete and remap is something I am likely to be getting done some point down the line as it is out of warranty anyway now and I know the benefits of it can be good. Would be really handy if any of you guys that have done it could point me in the right direction and give feedback of the pro's and cons of doing it, what sort of gains are possible in economy and power delivery afterwards etc.

I know also with any sort of mapping work it is quite often the case that it's who sets it up and how good they are that will determine the overall success of the mod, so if anyone has used a particular company with positive results I'd really like to know

Thanks
'61 Pure Grey 1.6Tdi with Pendle Map
SAL
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Anyone done an EGR Delete and mapped the facelift 1.6tdi

Post by SAL »

A few companies in Europe have done it, when mapped with the dpf delete they are seeing 15-20 ps more than the normal 140ish most maps give. Upgrade the turbo and 170-180 ps in possible. Seen a few polos running 180 with them mods, and even more with a better cooler
CJTurner
100BHP+

Post by CJTurner »

SAL wrote:A few companies in Europe have done it, when mapped with the dpf delete they are seeing 15-20 ps more than the normal 140ish most maps give. Upgrade the turbo and 170-180 ps in possible. Seen a few polos running 180 with them mods, and even more with a better cooler

Wow, that's some pretty respectable figures 8)

I wouldn't be looking for massive power gains or high performance so much, just try and maximise the efficiency (whilst gaining some horses is always a welcomed bonus ;) )

Does anyone know any UK companies they would recommend to look at?
Also with those sort of power gains, are there known weaknesses on other items that could become problematic under the extra power (ie, clutch, driveshafts,gearbox etc)

CJ
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

I run the same engine in a Maxi. I chose Pendel as to me they offered the best service/price. Can safely say all good,van has more get and go,even a little bit left at the top end. Taking the engine up to 140's(bhp) is well within it's capability's. (You should inform your insurers tho). As of time of writing they are unable to perform remap over OBD socket. Hope this help's :D
CJTurner
100BHP+

Post by CJTurner »

I.D.S. wrote:I run the same engine in a Maxi. I chose Pendel as to me they offered the best service/price. Can safely say all good,van has more get and go,even a little bit left at the top end. Taking the engine up to 140's(bhp) is well within it's capability's. (You should inform your insurers tho). As of time of writing they are unable to perform remap over OBD socket. Hope this help's :D
That's good to hear :) I'll check them out .

Thanks
CJ
CJTurner
100BHP+

Post by CJTurner »

Been looking at the dpf/egr delete and remap that Darkside Developments do. They look like they're a pretty well set up outfit and know what they're talking about when it comes to getting the most from your deisel in both respects of power-economy- and overall health of the engine.

Anyone had experience with them that could give a little feedback on the service?

Cheers
CJ
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

Dark side are one of the better companies out there very performance related,if near to you you should visit. SRS are on the same estate in case you need any parts.
One of those delete option's is worth doing on the 1.6cr engine the other is not ;)
CJTurner
100BHP+

Post by CJTurner »

I.D.S. wrote:Dark side are one of the better companies out there very performance related,if near to you you should visit. SRS are on the same estate in case you need any parts.
One of those delete option's is worth doing on the 1.6cr engine the other is not ;)
They're actually miles and miles away as I'm in south Oxford, but I never mind a roadtrip :)
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

I hear Bradford is nice this time of year :lol: If your are near Brackley why not give APS a look :?:
CJTurner
100BHP+

Post by CJTurner »

I.D.S. wrote:I hear Bradford is nice this time of year :lol: If your are near Brackley why not give APS a look :?:

:lol: :lol: :D

Not heard of APS before. Just had a quick google, their site looks like they're reasonably good, I'll do a little more looking into it. They're about an hour or so from me......versus Darkside being 3hrs plus lol

Cheers IDS
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

If you take a gander at Dan's build thread he used them with great success on the Caddy R.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Highly recommend APS. Top bunch of lads. They're more of a service agent than tuners but they have good contacts with the likes of Revo and Milltek. Spend most of their time working on very eclectic mix of vehicles but majority is VAG. Can the egr be deleted on the 1.6? I know it's not recommended on the facelift 2.0tdi common rail engine by most tuners or at least that's what I got told when looking into it.
CJTurner
100BHP+

Post by CJTurner »

Good to know they're a reputable outfit, it's always nice to have some positive feedback before using someone new.
As for egr delete, I don't know a massive amount on it hence why I made the thread, hoping for a little guidance as to the parameters of the 1.6tdi.
Hopefully someone like APS would be able to confirm..... It's difficult to know where to go and what works best on this engine, there's so much variety when you search online and it doesn't make it clear. I'll give APS a shout and see what they suggest.

Thanks. CJ
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

8)
varnham
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by varnham »

@CJTurner did you ever end up getting the EGR delete?