Bls engine

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
emurray89
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Bls engine

Post by emurray89 »

Just bought a BLS engined caddy. I'm wondering how many people have experienced this connecting rod failure? I'm starting to get very unsettled as my caddy is belching out smoke and running lumpy from cold but smooths out after a rev and a few seconds.

Thanks Ewan :(
torque777
Hyper Poster

Re: Bls engine

Post by torque777 »

Get this scanned first and see what comes up, could be duff glow plugs, I have a bls and tbh I don't worry about it, with so many built and in various vag vehicles you will always get to hear about some, at the end of the day no one goes on the forums and says what a good day it's been, they always post the bad stuff, this really affects a small minority, service history is key
MMM1978
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by MMM1978 »

What Nick said.... Did you ask this on Facebook too? We both were in that thread too :) .
emurray89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by emurray89 »

Been scanned nothing coming up. I think it's a duff injector. I know I shouldn't advertise other forums but I am in need of help with this. Have a look at this page, I can't make out if he's saying yes it was a faulty injector or not.

http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?7 ... hite-smoke
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

A faulty conrod won't go away with a bit of a rev so I'd rule that one out.
Best get it checked over to find the real problem as speculating is only gonna cost you more unless you hit on the solution first time.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
emurray89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by emurray89 »

It's trying to find find a reputable garage that has a good understanding of vws and will spend the time trying to fix it gnats the problem. I'm located in ayrshire if anyone can help.
VdubCaddyvan
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by VdubCaddyvan »

What colour smoke?
Springer Mad
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Springer Mad »

I wouldn't worry, My Bls is currently on 160,000 miles and doesnt show any signs of failing anytime soon. Yours sound like something else.
beerbelly
100BHP+

Post by beerbelly »

mines done 155k too no problems drives like new 8)
http://www.billinghambodyrepairs.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leytonorient
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by leytonorient »

I've done 120,000, always get a puff of black smoke on start up but runs fine.
emurray89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by emurray89 »

Going ahead with a ASZ block (MK4 Golf GTTDI) rebored to repair my van. Seems like a sound investment and i wont need to worry about any bls connecting rod failures.
MMM1978
Hyper Poster

Post by MMM1978 »

Did you find out the problem?
emurray89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by emurray89 »

Nobody has every garage says something different. We've bench tested injectors, Inspected injector loom, changed injector seals, new camshaft, new water temp sensors, glow plug 1-4 changed as well as the harness. Check the timing on vag com, checked the injection timing on vag com, Checked that all injectors are within their tolerances.

Compression test shows that Cylinder No.3 is down.

So now its time to strip it down, inspect and rebuild.

I'm using a guy in Doncaster who has dealt with BLS engine failures before on various occasions.
His company is called KJ.AUTO CLINIC and advertises using the older TDI block and internals and combines the BLS head to build a stronger engine. He has rebuilt over 20 without any comeback mainly taxis.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Keep us posted.
Cylinder #3 is common from my experience, maybe it doesn't get lubricated properly or something but it seems to be the usual culprit for spitting con rods or having knackered big end shells come inspection time.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
emurray89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by emurray89 »

Yes i'll keep everyone updated, nothing worse than an incomplete thread. Really am looking forward to having my van back and of course the healthy remap that comes with the rebuild! :twisted: :lol: