2.0tfsi engine conversion.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Antony@OD
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Antony@OD »

We are looking at doing an engine conversion the the Obsessive Detail caddy.
I've used the search function but we only have limited access to the site so doesn't let me browse fully.

Just after a little more information really so we can start collecting parts required etc.
What needs custom fabrication, is it best to just splice the 2 looms together or have a loom made.
Engine mounts and driveshafts a problem?

Cheers for any help/advise guys
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Re: 2.0tfsi engine conversion.

Post by dan@biali »

Engine drops straight in. It's the wiring and electronics that cause the biggest headaches. Mine is currently being converted and there's a conservative 100 hours in the loom alone! I had a donor vehicle for the engine etc. The clocks also proved to be a pain to code. Basically the company doing the work have had a headache for the last 6 months, and it's not like they're novices!
Antony@OD
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Antony@OD »

Cheers for the reply buddy, Were looking at buying a full car to use all donor parts from including keys, clocks, ecu, engine with all ancillaries etc.
Who's doing your conversion of you don't mind me asking? I'm quite mechanically minded and we have a few mechanic/engineers/fabricators as friends too.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

I'm not going to say for now but all will be revealed once it's running and they're happy. As I said, it's not mechanically complicated at all other than getting the petrol fuel pump to work in the Caddy tank, but the electrics is properly complicated. Even the bus bar or fuse panel (I can't remember!) is in a different place between the vehicles. Essentially you will need a full schematic of the wiring looms to do it as OE as possible and someone who is a whizz at coding. Even then it's not easy! Have a look at Ollie370 build thread for another tfsi conversion but he's done it all himself. Not sure where it's at but I've seen clips of it running. Will give you a clue as to what's involved and the difficulties he's had along the way.
Antony@OD
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Antony@OD »

Cheers buddy, had a look at his build thread it looks awesome.

I'm picking the donor car up Saturday morning a lovely 2007 Audi A3 2.0tfsi s line only thing that might be a problem is it's a Quattro so will need to buy a gearbox or be a total idiot and cut the floor pan out of the Audi and weld mounting points for the rear subframe set up on the caddy and run the Quattro which if we had unlimited funds and time would be awesome but working to a budget (using that term loosely as it's probably gonna run over) and only having a couple months to complete buying the gearbox seems the best bet.

I'm hoping to use most parts from the donor though to make it as easy as possible
Ollie370
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Ollie370 »

I hope your not worried about MPGs!I have managed 220 miles out of a tank the last 2 times, and there was quite a bit off cruising in that too.
Taddy R Project - Engine running
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19895
Antony@OD
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Antony@OD »

Ollie370 wrote:I hope your not worried about MPGs!I have managed 220 miles out of a tank the last 2 times, and there was quite a bit off cruising in that too.
Mpg's arnt a problem luckily, the vans really only used for shows.
Had a stage 2 mk5 GTI which would get down to single figure on a hard drive.
The car I had before the caddy was a 360bhp Evo 7 which got single figures driving steady to the shops lol :lol:

Pick the donor car up in the morning. :)
Ollie370
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Ollie370 »

How Are you/did you get on with this!
Taddy R Project - Engine running
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19895
luke3389
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by luke3389 »

Bump!
james400
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by james400 »

I'm intrigued to know how your getting on with this as im in the same boat have everything readyImageImage

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Until today, this thread hadn't been updated in two and a half years....
I'm not sure the guy is using the forum any longer.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort