Electro Mechanical Steering fault...

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
goldeneyedmonkey
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Electro Mechanical Steering fault...

Post by goldeneyedmonkey »

Hello all,

My Caddy has the electro mechanical warning light on, red so as to indicate a complete failure of the system. Is there a way to reset the sensor in case it's just a sensor fault? Waiting for a VW garage to get back to me in the meantime as I fear the worst and I'll have to get them to look at it.

Cheers in advance. _Dan.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Electro Mechanical Steering fault...

Post by Doc »

Have you had the steering wheel off or tried looking at fault coded with VCDS? The red light is quite common if the steering angle sensor is moved without the steering wheel moving.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
goldeneyedmonkey
Caddy2k Groupie

Hi Doc,

No I've not had the steering wheel off and I don't have any VCDS diagnostic stuff to know what the fault code is either. I take it you need VCDS software or a reader to know what the fault code is?

Cheers _Dan.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Yes, you'd need VCDS lead and software to check it.
Have you lost all assistance? Steering very very heavy or just a bit heavier that normal?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
goldeneyedmonkey
Caddy2k Groupie

I don't know what the steering feels like as it didn't start this morning. It turned over once then there was a repetitive clicking noise. That electro mechanical steering fault light came up in yellow then red. I've just tried it again and a yellow exhaust system light came up in yellow as well, I don't know whether this came up earlier and I failed to notice it. I'm thinking this comes on then disappears after the engine is on?

Thanks for your help. _Dan.
Strath25
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Strath25 »

Sounds like a duff battery to me, be a case of charging/replacing then checking charge rate, lights have came on due to this and just need reset
goldeneyedmonkey
Caddy2k Groupie

I have a battery charger, will stick it on now. Is there a way to reset the lights without VCDS, can i just disconnect battery and reconnect to reset lights? Sorry for all the questions, as you can probably tell I know roughly sweet f.a about this :?

Cheers _Dan.
Strath25
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Strath25 »

To reset the steering light once you get it started drive it forward in a straight line for like 50 yards.
Not sure if the engine light may have came on due to low battery but you won't know till you get life back in it
goldeneyedmonkey
Caddy2k Groupie

Right I've fully charged the battery and tried again and it's not working still. Three beeps and doesn't start. I think I'll have to get it over to the VW van centre, gonna be a right mission seeing as it doesn't start though. Considering joining AA and getting them to take it.

Thanks for the help. _Dan.
Funbagjuggler
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Funbagjuggler »

Where abouts are you Dan?
goldeneyedmonkey
Caddy2k Groupie

I'm in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire mate.

My friend came round to tow me over to the garage and he tried a few things before we set off... turned out there was something wrong with the battery. New battery and it's sorted now. Thanks for all help/ advice.

Cheers _Dan.