Window tinting

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
stugr33n
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Window tinting

Post by stugr33n »

Has anyone had any issues with having their rear windows tinted? I had mine done on Thursday, and the film is pealing off around the edges where the black dot matrix is printed on the glass. A quick google search seems to suggest this is a common issue with the film not sticking to the dots. My main concern is that from the outside there is a silver line where the film isn't in contact with the glass. The van is going back to the garage on Tuesday to have the roof re-wrapped and I was going to have a strip of tint installed across the top of the windscreen, but there is a lot of the dot matrix on the windscreen, and if I get the same result as the rear windows, I think it will look rubbish.

Bigrace
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Window tinting

Post by Bigrace »

Mine is exactly the same. I was told this would happen before it was done
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

This happens with all windows, but with skill a window tinter can get the film to stick without it looking like air is trapped, I've had cars done a few times and not had a problem
Bigrace
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Bigrace »

I dont think its a case of trapped air. It just wont stick where these black dots are around the edge of the glass.
Gresley
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Gresley »

I think it's a case of there being highs and lows and whilst the film will stick in the lows initially, after time the film lifts as it's under tension. That's what happen when I did my windscreen anyway.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

A god tinter will be able to make it stick and stay.
There are adhesion promoters for just such things.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Bigvw
Hyper Poster

Post by Bigvw »

Had about 14 or so vans done now and not had any problems, got a guy who has been doing this for 20+ years now and never had a problem with any caddys unsticking or peeling off. He just does them as he does all his tints. Have had a load of other vehicles done as well, wouldnt go past him
cheers Paul
Dubtech Custom Vans. Suppliers for - KW,ST,AP Suspension systems, Bilstein suspension, V-Maxx , Official RECARO dealer, GAZ Shocks, Cobra Seats, 07967 106 906 bigvw@hotmail.co.uk https://www.facebook.com/Dubtechcustomvans
dubstopjames
200BHP+

Post by dubstopjames »

Is it normal that my rear doors have one window blacked out completely (small) and the other is just tinted slightly? Both look factory done.
I'm thinking I will paint the large window so it is similar to the small window as I have a solid bulkhead any how.
The big window is heated so I will still see the heater element which is a shame.
stugr33n
100BHP+

Post by stugr33n »

Where abouts is your guy based bigVW?
Bigrace
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Bigrace »

Sorry to jump in but have ypu still got roof rails
Bigvw
Hyper Poster

Post by Bigvw »

stugr33n wrote:Where abouts is your guy based bigVW?
A bit far from you bud, up here in Fife Scotland, in a town called Kirkcaldy ;)
Dubtech Custom Vans. Suppliers for - KW,ST,AP Suspension systems, Bilstein suspension, V-Maxx , Official RECARO dealer, GAZ Shocks, Cobra Seats, 07967 106 906 bigvw@hotmail.co.uk https://www.facebook.com/Dubtechcustomvans
stugr33n
100BHP+

Post by stugr33n »

No way, I was out in Kirkaldy a couple of weeks ago. I'm in Methil quite a lot with work, due up again on Wednesday. What's the guys details, might see if he can sort me out.

Bigrace, you'd better email me, stugreen@live.com - I haven't got PM rights and the forum police don't like us talking about buying and selling unless it's done via the right channels.
Bigrace
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Bigrace »

stugr33n wrote:No way, I was out in Kirkaldy a couple of weeks ago. I'm in Methil quite a lot with work, due up again on Wednesday. What's the guys details, might see if he can sort me out.

Bigrace, you'd better email me, stugreen@live.com - I haven't got PM rights and the forum police don't like us talking about buying and selling unless it's done via the right channels.
Email sent
twotwofour
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by twotwofour »

Mine have been tinted and are still perfect 8 months on.... I used a guy in wakefield, west yorks.
2011 Caddy 1.6tdi bluemotion... lots of mods, one new injector so far..
rexoid
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by rexoid »

mine have always been good also. just wondering what is the darkest tint you can use on side windows,legally i mean?