Power steering leak

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jayrey
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Power steering leak

Post by Jayrey »

Hi all,

Bought my 2010 pre face fift Caddy Maxi Life about 3 months ago. All 4 I test drove had a distinct whirring sound which varied with engine speed. The one I chose was the best all rounder and also whined the least, private sale. I thought it sounded like iffy alternators. The chap at the vw van centre said he couldn't hear anything untoward on the one I test drove there (didn't buy that one anyway, pricey and very noisy whirring). Tbh I couldn't tell if he was in sales mode or simply lacked the knowledge.

I would say all the caddy's power steering sounded noisy especially on full lock. By comparison our VW Eos is near silent and my old (2000) Merc Vito was quiter

Spotted a drip under the caddy last night. Traced it to the power steering pump. With the engine running and turned to full lock it leaks (continous flow as opposed to drip) from where the pipe enters the pump body, not sure of its flow or return. it's booked in for the morning. Hoping it's a leak on the pipe union seal/air in the system. Not much missing from the resovroir, so spotted it early.

I have three questions,

Is the whirring noise really normal on Caddys?
Are the steering pumps normally noisy?
Are the steering pumps weak, known issue?

In the past, VW have shared costs on failed abs etc units out of warranty, anybody had similar joy with Caddys?. I don't thing the pump should fail at 50k and 5 years of an easy life. Never had one go before, so don't seem right.

Any and all comments gratefully received.

Cheers
Sportliner
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Re: Power steering leak

Post by Sportliner »

Jayrey wrote:Hi all,

Bought my 2010 pre face fift Caddy Maxi Life about 3 months ago. All 4 I test drove had a distinct whirring sound which varied with engine speed. The one I chose was the best all rounder and also whined the least, private sale. I thought it sounded like iffy alternators. The chap at the vw van centre said he couldn't hear anything untoward on the one I test drove there (didn't buy that one anyway, pricey and very noisy whirring). Tbh I couldn't tell if he was in sales mode or simply lacked the knowledge.

I would say all the caddy's power steering sounded noisy especially on full lock. By comparison our VW Eos is near silent and my old (2000) Merc Vito was quiter

Spotted a drip under the caddy last night. Traced it to the power steering pump. With the engine running and turned to full lock it leaks (continous flow as opposed to drip) from where the pipe enters the pump body, not sure of its flow or return. it's booked in for the morning. Hoping it's a leak on the pipe union seal/air in the system. Not much missing from the resovroir, so spotted it early.

I have three questions,

Is the whirring noise really normal on Caddys?
Are the steering pumps normally noisy?
Are the steering pumps weak, known issue?

In the past, VW have shared costs on failed abs etc units out of warranty, anybody had similar joy with Caddys?. I don't thing the pump should fail at 50k and 5 years of an easy life. Never had one go before, so don't seem right.

Any and all comments gratefully received.

Cheers
I have had 5 Caddys, 3 of the old 98-04 Polo based and 2 04-10 2k Caddys

Mileage 420k, 385k, 280k, 150k, and 165k (current and increasing rapidly)..........That's 1.4million miles and have replaced one steering pump in all those miles.

Never heard any noises either.............Sportliner
Jayrey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jayrey »

Thanks sportliner, very reassuring, might just be one of those things, hoping its just a union loose or a union seal gone. Dropped of off tonight, I'll find out tomorrow.
Sportliner
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by Sportliner »

Jayrey wrote:Thanks sportliner, very reassuring, might just be one of those things, hoping its just a union loose or a union seal gone. Dropped of off tonight, I'll find out tomorrow.
Best of Luck!

The only pump I had go was on my second caddy at about 300k.

No leaks, no noises. It just seized solid at about 60mph on the motorway.

Naturally it took the fan and pump belts with it when it seized.
Jayrey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jayrey »

Pipe from pump to steering rack leaking. £122 parts £70 labour plus vat.

Nobody likes spending money but could have been worse.

Only a little normal noise on full lock which I don't go near because it's bad for the steering anyway.
the long one
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by the long one »

mine let go just like yours only a very small pin prick but enough
£120ish + labour as well
just over 3.5 years old at the time and about 85k
104 bhp maxi - 6 speed o2q conversion - rcd 510 dab c/w Bluetooth & mdi - remap 162 bhp - facelift highline cluster - caddy 4 tail lights - 19” vw motorsport alloys - bilstein/eibach sportline suspension - r32 front brakes - scirocco front seats - caddy life centre console - mk6 flat bottom mfsw - caddy 4 folding mirrors
whites-all-righty
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by whites-all-righty »

mmmm my van whines like a bitch on full lock!!! :? might have to get mine done
Jayrey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jayrey »

[quote="whites-all-righty"]mmmm my van whines like a bitch on full lock!!! :? might have to get mine done[/

Could be a bit of air in the pump.