Van re classified under 2 tonne!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
jamesc76
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Van re classified under 2 tonne!

Post by jamesc76 »

I have been pulled for speeding on the A610 in Nottingham, I asked the Police man why I was pulled and he quoted this car derived van is over 2000kg and has the lower speed limit applied to it, I showed him my v5 with the lower wieght limit and he said sorry and off I went. It was me that first started this post, so shows it does make a difference. oh i was doing 70mph not over the car applied limit!
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Thats interesting. But the police I'm less concerned about. They can be reasoned with and use judgement to let you off. A gatso or camera van is going to be a NIP which would mean a court appearance to contest it.
bluecaddymaxi
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by bluecaddymaxi »

I have been pulled for speeding on the A610 in Nottingham, I asked the Police man why I was pulled and he quoted this car derived van is over 2000kg and has the lower speed limit applied to it, I showed him my v5 with the lower wieght limit and he said sorry and off I went. It was me that first started this post, so shows it does make a difference. oh i was doing 70mph not over the car applied limit!
that's a result :)

( though what dan says, is a bit worrying ; at least you'd be * able * to appeal, I suppose )
jamesc76
Caddy Fan

Post by jamesc76 »

dan@biali wrote:Thats interesting. But the police I'm less concerned about. They can be reasoned with and use judgement to let you off. A gatso or camera van is going to be a NIP which would mean a court appearance to contest it.

well its been like that for ages now and never recieved a gatso or any other type of camera "stelth tax generator" fine, so either they dont or cant differenciate???
robbieh
Caddy Fan

Post by robbieh »

Been reading this thread, my logbook says 1432 for revenue weight and nothing in the gross weight? Does this mean I can claim that I remain under 2000kgs? Anyone got similar logbook please?
gogsie
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by gogsie »

I recently tried and failed to get my van on the lower speed limit bracket. I sent the V5 away with a letter as per the OP and some 6 weeks later i get it back with the same classification but the weight has been removed.
I phoned DVLA who informed me that because its an LGV they don't require to show the weight so removed it, However they still class it as an LGV so the limits still apply.

I need to take it up with VOSA if i want to pursue the issue and that can only be a bad thing as they will no doubt ask for VIC checks and all sorts so i gave up.

I also tried and failed to get the EURO4 status updated to lower the tax bracket. My van is EURO4, DPF and all that jazz, but at first reg it was classed as normal so got the £225 tax. DVLA again washed their hands and said i have to prove it is EURO4 and get VOSA to agree.
danny4646
100BHP+

Post by danny4646 »

Hi lads

Sorry to drag a old thread up!!

As you may have seen in hopefully looking at a van Saturday, but forgot to check and low and behold my insurance wont add it as its a commercial vehicle,
Have any of you changed your vans category to allows it to be insured regular car insurance rather than van only? Was hoping to add it as a 'Second car' to my original policy.
Weight isn't the issue, it my two akitas that take up too much space lol
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Mine is insured through Adrian Flux as a non commercial vehicle. As long as it's not being used as a commercial vehicle, they can surely insure it as if it was a car. Try another insurer to see if they will cover it.
danny4646
100BHP+

Post by danny4646 »

I'll give them a bell, just don't really want two policy's running if I can help it :roll:
Most online websites wont even recognize the reg :roll:
m8ngn
Caddy Fan

Post by m8ngn »

I too had a bit of a nightmare insuring the caddy, just another thing to add to this great unreasonable world of motoring.

Martyn
SimonR
Twin Turbo poster

Post by SimonR »

Old thread - but very helpful

I have bought a caddy that is classified as CDV with rev weight 2211kg

I want to try to reduce the revenue weight......

Any current precedent on best approach ?

Lowered suspension ? Photos .... And pray ?
gogsie
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by gogsie »

All you need is a LOT of luck.