Caddy sdi looking at tdi swap

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
M_Fellows
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Caddy sdi looking at tdi swap

Post by M_Fellows »

Other than injector problems what are these engines like at high milage?

As anyone wants I need it to be reliable at high miles, my old shit box peugeot 1.4hdi hit 200,000 and never missed a beat so surely vw can easily so that.
shanky887614
Hyper Poster

Re: RE: Re: Caddy sdi looking at tdi swap

Post by shanky887614 »

M_Fellows wrote:Other than injector problems what are these engines like at high milage?

As anyone wants I need it to be reliable at high miles, my old shit box peugeot 1.4hdi hit 200,000 and never missed a beat so surely vw can easily so that.
colin had a sdi that was at 450,000miles and quite a few tdi's about at 250-300k

a mate of mine needs a new headgasket but to be fair his mk4 engine is on over 400,000 miles

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

shanky887614 wrote:google ceramic injectors. then google ceramic glow plugs there is a reason they stopped using both.

they are not as durable as solinoid injectors and are known to suffer premature failure

I'm not sure where you're getting your information or if it's related to the 1.6tdi engine.
I don't either understand how a solenoid can replace a ceramic coating.
[EDIT to remove some misinformation] The old Siemens injectors have a high failure rate but replacing with the new version of the exact same injector will give a much longer life expectancy.
I say high failure rate, not all Siemens injectors will fail, therefore it is only advised to change as and when they pose a problem.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Arsenalgun wrote:Lol not "reconditioned" ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think these can be "reconditioned" only tested for correct operation and maybe cleaned. I know 6 months ago there was no system for assembly outside of the manufacturer production line.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
M_Fellows
Caddy Fan

Post by M_Fellows »

Like everything, I've heard and read about good things.

If I can get a 1.6tdi cheaper than the 2.0tdi well you know.....
Arsenalgun
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Arsenalgun »

Doc wrote: I don't think these can be "reconditioned" only tested for correct operation and maybe cleaned. I know 6 months ago there was no system for assembly outside of the manufacturer production line.
Yes thats right I just found the air quotes funny as people do think because they might of been cleaned and tested that there "reconditioned" ImageImage

Arsenalgun
Caddy Fan

Post by Arsenalgun »

shanky887614 wrote:dont go for a 1.6 made between 2010-2014 or a 105bhp 1.9

any 2.0L would be my preference

a mk5 golf or touran would also be a good donor

I've seen 1.9 tdi engines with 250k+ there not bad engines at all a little noisy but overall if you use the correct oil and service regular they should last.

Arsenalgun
Caddy Fan

Post by Arsenalgun »

I think a safe bet would be to consider any tdi engine with under 80k with good proof of mileage and good service history. Pay more for a good low mile engine below 50k if you get the chance. When you get it put only platinum oil in it and service it every 10k and I think you'll be good for a long while.

shanky887614
Hyper Poster

Post by shanky887614 »

Arsenalgun wrote: I've seen 1.9 tdi engines with 250k+ there not bad engines at all a little noisy but overall if you use the correct oil and service regular they should last.

the only reason the bls blow is the internals are weaker than the older engines so instead of stalling they can blow

Arsenalgun
Caddy Fan

Post by Arsenalgun »

shanky887614 wrote: the only reason the bls blow is the internals are weaker than the older engines so instead of stalling they can blow

Yea so why stay away from a bxe or bkc there on average a good solid unit and in my opinion probably a easier and cheaper engine as they were used lots over the golf,touran ,Jetta, ect ect range.

shanky887614
Hyper Poster

Post by shanky887614 »

Arsenalgun wrote: I've seen 1.9 tdi engines with 250k+ there not bad engines at all a little noisy but overall if you use the correct oil and service regular they should last.

the only reason the bls blow is the internals are weaker than the older engines so instead of stalling they can blow

shanky887614
Hyper Poster

Post by shanky887614 »

Arsenalgun wrote: Yea so why stay away from a bxe or bkc there on average a good solid unit and in my opinion probably a easier and cheaper engine as they were used lots over the golf,touran ,Jetta, ect ect range.

because the bls blow you can get hold of the wiring looms and ecu's quite easily.

most people that have an engine blow would scrap the van

M_Fellows
Caddy Fan

Post by M_Fellows »

Right boys I'm in 2 minds now.

Do I sell this and make some money then buy the same van but a tdi and lower milage then put the facelift front end on?

Or buy the facelift caddy with the 1.6tdi but with higher miles?

As I want a tdi but I also want the facelifted front :?
rainbow111
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by rainbow111 »

shanky887614 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:12 pm no an arl150 or asv130 they are stronger engines.

have a look at your pm's and give me a call

ive just had a conversion done
hi ive just noticed youve stated youve had the engine convertion done from sdi to the arl 150 tdi could you point me in right direction for this please
Bakester69
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Bakester69 »

I’m also interested in this as I am struggling to find any info and my sdi is playing up at the moment!