1.6TDI Emission recall Done

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

1.6TDI Emission recall Done

Post by Beaker2135 »

So I too the van in on Monday for a service and the emissions recall mod, I thought I might as well as I'm considering a remap so if it all went wrong I'd lose nothing
So here's what I think;
POWER. The engine feels to pull better a low rpm so there seems to be more torque and maybe power. Feels like a stage 0.5 remap. It would be interesting to see a before and after dyno to see what gains, if any, there are

ECONOMY. According to the MFD my average mpg was 47.0 before I took it in, that would be over about 7-8k. It is far too early to say what the effects of the update are but over the 100 miles I've done it is recording 46.8 mpg. I can't imagine VW would roll out an update that made mpg worse, the outcry would be huge. Time will tell

DEALER. we've carried out a free vehicle health check. Rear discs are worn, rear wiper needs replacing, horn is too quite and your air con needs a service. Err no it's all ok, you can't even reset the service light properly ffs

OVERALL. It was worthwhile as the van seems to drive better, I have a certificate to say it's been done. I'd have it done, unless you have had a remap
Oh and I now have an umbrella, go figure :?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
Fran1981
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: 1.6TDI Emission recall Done

Post by Fran1981 »

I'm toying with the idea of taking mine in for the recall, the mpg to go down that little doesnt make a huge difference. might go ahead and get it done :)
Joepayne1
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Joepayne1 »

Agree on the low rpm power, felt exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skibadee
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: RE: 1.6TDI Emission recall Done

Post by Skibadee »

Beaker2135 wrote:So I too the van in on Monday for a service and the emissions recall mod, I thought I might as well as I'm considering a remap so if it all went wrong I'd lose nothing
So here's what I think;
POWER. The engine feels to pull better a low rpm so there seems to be more torque and maybe power. Feels like a stage 0.5 remap. It would be interesting to see a before and after dyno to see what gains, if any, there are

ECONOMY. According to the MFD my average mpg was 47.0 before I took it in, that would be over about 7-8k. It is far too early to say what the effects of the update are but over the 100 miles I've done it is recording 46.8 mpg. I can't imagine VW would roll out an update that made mpg worse, the outcry would be huge. Time will tell

DEALER. we've carried out a free vehicle health check. Rear discs are worn, rear wiper needs replacing, horn is too quite and your air con needs a service. Err no it's all ok, you can't even reset the service light properly ffs

OVERALL. It was worthwhile as the van seems to drive better, I have a certificate to say it's been done. I'd have it done, unless you have had a remap
Oh and I now have an umbrella, go figure :?
I'm losing 60 miles a tank since update.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Mojoke
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mojoke »

WARNING!!!

Ok, so my caddy is still at the dealers, and I am awaiting responses from VW.

It definitely requires a replacement EGR valve, and VW knew this in advance.

It took me just 10 mins last night to find 15 other web posts (many on Honestjohn) telling of this known problem.

The emissions recall letter SHOULD therefore read "dear VW customer we CAN reprogram your vehicle to comply with the emissions requirements, but if the mileage on the vehicle is high (in excess of 70-80,000 miles) we must advise you in advance that there is a known high percentage of cases where within weeks this procedure will cause clogging of the EGR valve, requiring its expensive replacement"

In that basis I would never have agreed to the update.
Last edited by Mojoke on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

Mojoke wrote:Sorry to hear, but somewhat relieved I'm not the only one!
Not looking good potential 10% worse fuel economy
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

Likewise! There's no way they're touching mine.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

Just a 140 remap on mine Dan but it's running fine so I don't want them touching it at all having read these posts about mpg reductions and others developing faults after the updates.
Mojoke
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mojoke »

As soon as VW have finished p*ssing about with mine I will get a re-map done; not necessarily for performance, but for efficiency. Clearly my van is not running to optimum. I've always done lots of annual mileage (30-40k), and some time in the past I used to drive like there was no tomorrow (and occasionally paid for the privilege in points and fines!) but generally in company cars. Now its my own vehicle I tend to be in less of a hurry, with an eye on reliability and economy.

in my most recent previous 1.9TDI Passat I averaged 46-50 mpg, even pushing it hard. With the Caddy, even driving it like a retired vicar I was struggling to get anywhere close to 40mpg pre-recall, and now it is all over the place, but mostly around 28-32mpg.

All those saying they will skip the emissions recall, how will you stand at MOT time, or when you sell the vehicle on? And does a re-map effect this too?
donnielee
100BHP+

Post by donnielee »

here in denmark its manditory
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

Hopefully won't be mandatory for mot here. As for selling on I think any clued up buyer will know all about how it's better not being done. Probably will be needed for mot anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

I don't see why it would be mandatory? It's not a safety issue and the vans have passed the mot emissions without problem up to now without the update?
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

The DVSA say in their letter about compliance to emissions standards. I know we don't test for Nox gas here yet but seems like if your vehicle isn't on the list as completed it doesn't comply according to them. Speculation of course but why send letters using these kind of terms and why is it a problem at all?

Lad on vw parts desk thinks that you are not forced to do it. My question is why send us these kind of letters from the DVSA

Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... ecall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

http://www.carsuk.net/vw-emissions-fix- ... hy-bother/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;