1.6TDI Emission recall Done

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Mastakillahkungfu
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: 1.6TDI Emission recall Done

Post by Mastakillahkungfu »

Received my letter several weeks ago. Have no intention of having it done as I have a remap. Had an MOT done on Monday, no mention of emissions. Pasted after I removed my dash cam mount! Letter says you can have the update done at any time, so you could always offer a buyer the option of remap or emissions update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dshelton999
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by dshelton999 »

I Had mine in yesterday for the recall and i can honestly say that when i picked it up it felt quicker and also a little smoother. i was also sceptical about having it done but i am glad i did now. i haven't noticed any change in mpg but its probably a little to early on to say for definite.
dshelton999
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by dshelton999 »

I forgot to say that they did the health check and came back with the following:

rear pads at 80%
rear discs could do with replacing
turbo oil return pipe leaking
cambelt due
John stratton
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by John stratton »

dshelton999 wrote:I Had mine in yesterday for the recall and i can honestly say that when i picked it up it felt quicker and also a little smoother. i was also sceptical about having it done but i am glad i did now. i haven't noticed any change in mpg but its probably a little to early on to say for definite.
Had mine done on Friday . Have not noticed any running difference. Filled up just after so will check and report any mpg difference in about a week .

stejc09
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by stejc09 »

Wouldn't recommend had the recall done. Now the egr valve has gone
John stratton
100BHP+

Post by John stratton »

stejc09 wrote:Wouldn't recommend had the recall done. Now the egr valve has gone
How do we prove the emissions update causes the egr to fail , I only wish we could but I don't know how.

Mojoke
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mojoke »

John stratton wrote:How do we prove the emissions update causes the egr to fail , I only wish we could but I don't know how.
Read my update on my "into limp mode" thread!

The answer is, you cannot PROVE it, but VW are accepting on a case by case basis that this a know problem and they are resolving it, but not without a fight! (from their perspective imagine the cost if they publicly admit it and the floodgates opened. It'll cost them billions worldwide...)
John stratton
100BHP+

Post by John stratton »

Mojoke wrote:
Read my update on my "into limp mode" thread!

The answer is, you cannot PROVE it, but VW are accepting on a case by case basis that this a know problem and they are resolving it, but not without a fight! (from their perspective imagine the cost if they publicly admit it and the floodgates opened. It'll cost them billions worldwide...)
Ok here is my MPG update after having the emissions recall completed .

Most of my running is local round town work .

Before the recall I was getting 41 mpg minimum .

I have just filled up and found that my mpg has reduced by 13 % , mpg for the same round town work is now 36 .
I will check again on my next fill up but to say the least I am not happy . The letter from VW states it will have no impact to mpg . I don't plan to leave this as is , I feel totally let down by VW .
My vehicle is a 2011 1.6 TDI with 23000 miles recorded . I know the response will be take it to VW for a diagnostics check at a cost of £130.
I hope others will check mpg if you have the update done so that we can decide a course of action together, we cannot let VW get away with the false claim in the letter sent to owners stating that mpg will not be effected . This is simply not a true statement as far as my vehicle is concerned at the moment .

caddymad99
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by caddymad99 »

i had recall done , egr went next day ! been a week and vw still not saying if they will sort it as "goodwill"
John stratton
100BHP+

Post by John stratton »

caddymad99 wrote:i had recall done , egr went next day ! been a week and vw still not saying if they will sort it as "goodwill"
Are you in contact with VW customer care or a dealer ?

Mojoke
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mojoke »

caddymad99 wrote:i had recall done , egr went next day ! been a week and vw still not saying if they will sort it as "goodwill"
I luckily had a huge amount of support from the dealer. All my dealings direct with VW stopped at "you'll need to pay £130 for diagnostics"... they were useless and totally unhelpful. But thats what VW are paying their call centre agents to sit on the phones and do, to keep the problem at arms length. But they KNOW its a problem.

Speak nicely to the dealer, but be firm with them. Tell him you know a number of people in the Caddy and VW community who have had EXACTLY the same issue, that VW know very well that a reasonable percentage (but not everyone by any means) of 1.6TDI's have had this issue, that IS almost certainly caused by the recall (and is too soon and far too common after the emissions remap to be purely coincidence), and that you will accept nothing else but a full warranty replacement of the EGR as they have done for many other vehicles.

Quote the 50+ cases already reported to Honest John and that you will be in touch with them/the papers to add your name to the list. Tell them you will not pick up your vehicle until it is fixed at VW's expense. Expect to be without the car for a week or so, but it'll still be better than shelling out £1300 or so.
Mojoke
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mojoke »

Out of interest, my fuel consumption has still not improved much. With around 500 miles done since the new EGR was fitted, the "Average MPG (2)" (the cumulative one, rather than the trip one) on the dash is sitting at 38.2MPG. A bit sh*t to be honest. I have a long motorway trip over the weekend (to the guitar show in Birmingham... anyone going?), so it'll be interesting to see how that changes on a run.

Mine is a DSG, its interesting that I can get slightly better MPG if I flick it into manual shift and push it into a higher gear at lower revs slightly sooner than the DSG would allow. It has very sluggish response though. There just isn't enough torque at 14-2000 rpm to allow it to accelerate properly without dropping down to a gear which allows revving over 25-3000 rpm.
harrycrumb
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by harrycrumb »

Took my Caddy in to the van centre for a camb

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk
savagebulldogs
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by savagebulldogs »

After having a few hiccups with the xbg caddy within the first week of ownership, I took it into the wosley Vw centre today for a free health check .

Well impressed with the service from them and the fact that they sorted a few minor bits for free

Even though I'd read a few bits of bad feedback about it ,I decided to get the emission update done.

Although i haven't driven it enough to comment on any Mpg changes ,it's now quieter (less pinking at low revs under load) and pulls much better from 1k to 1.9k revs . I found out on the way home that The exbg limiter has either been raised or removed too .
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

Mine ran much better with the limiter raised. Used to drop dead at 3k rpm but now revs as much as you need it to. Going to hold off for now with remapping or the update to give it time to ascertain any possibility of making a claim against vw.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk