Picture of spare wheel bracket hinge end fitment

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Caddy bridge
Twin Turbo poster

Picture of spare wheel bracket hinge end fitment

Post by Caddy bridge »

As above has anyone got a picture of the side where the hinge side is where the pin goes through?

Wanting to fit mine next week and it would help.
Caddy bridge
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Picture of spare wheel bracket hinge end fitment

Post by Caddy bridge »

Anyone :?:
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.lifford-cooke.com/motorbikin ... G_0542.JPG

SnoWhite
Caddy bridge
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Caddy bridge »

Great thankyou,is there a retainer in one of the eyelets to stop the pin coming out.?
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster

Post by SnoWhite »

Sort of.

Whilst the photo is the bracket on my 4 motion maxi - I guess pretty much the same spare carrier mounting is used on other Caddy models. On mine that pin has a pair of small protruding lugs at the pointy end which can only just pass through a matching keyhole in the bracket attached to the underside of the van. Basically the pin can only be inserted/removed when the cranked end of the pin is horizontal. Whenever the cranked end of the pin is rotated until it is hanging down it cannot be removed. It is also worth pointing out that it is then prevented from moving from that position whenever there is a wheel placed on the spare wheel bracket.

Hope that makes sense

SnoWhite
Caddy bridge
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Caddy bridge »

Done it today thanks!
CarlettoXT
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CarlettoXT »

Hello!

I need help to install the spare wheel on my Caddy 4 motion.

I bought all the black metallic pieces that you can see in the photo of SnoWhite, but I have not understood how to block the upper one to the chassis.
I tried to look carefully, but I didn't see bolts, hole or anything, can anyone help me with some photos or explanations?

Thanks!!!

I
SnoWhite wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 pm Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.lifford-cooke.com/motorbikin ... G_0542.JPG

SnoWhite
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster

Post by SnoWhite »

That spare wheel carrier component is designed to be fitted by VW in the factory where the bracket is spot welded at numerous points to the underside of the floor.

If the bracket is being installed as a retrofit - you either need to pay a garage with suitable spot welding kit to attach it for you, or if you plan on doing the work yourself, then drill and bolt the black frame in place using plenty of short stainless steel bolts drilled through the bracket where it touches the underside of the floor. Obviously before drilling always check both sides for wires etc - OK there was nothing to worry about on my Maxi - but you never know if someone has been busy adding aftermarket stuff - in which case you could find speaker wires or reversing camera feeds running in very weird places.

As you can see on that photo - the load floor is formed from corrugated metal. So by only drilling through the floor at the lower point the head of the fixing bolts will appear in the corresponding valley in the floor - and even with a nylock nut and washer it will still be below the floor.

Don't forget a decent coat of rust preventative paint. especially if you often drive in areas where road salt is used a lot to keep roads clear in the winter.

If you do fit a spare wheel then it is a good idea to remove clean and reinstate the spare at least once a year and apply grease to the mounting bolts to stop them rusting in place.

SnoWhite
CarlettoXT
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CarlettoXT »

Thanks a lot for the perfect description, now I must think what to do with mine..probably I will weld the piece to the chassis, because to remove the plastic of the floor I must remove all the Others pieces of the inside.

I did that work when I do the insulation and it was quite destructive for the plastic connectors.
GiovAAARGH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by GiovAAARGH »

Hello everyone,
I am trying to buy the parts to mount the spare tire on my 2016 caddy maxy 4motion.
I have searched several places for the manual to get the part numbers needed, but to no avail.
I found this site that seems to have a list of the parts needed

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/volk ... /2k3802783

If I understand correctly, the parts I need are as follows:

6 WHT002108
7 WHT002101
8 2K0801658
9 2K0801903
11 7H0801917
14 701801949
17 2K3802783

I would like to understand from you who were able to do the work,
- if the parts are the right ones
- Whether other pieces are needed
- Or where did you guys buy the parts?

Thanks

Giovanni
Last edited by GiovAAARGH on Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Does maxi 4-motion come without a spare wheel from factory? If not, then part #17 should be on your van already
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
GiovAAARGH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by GiovAAARGH »

Mine come out of the factory without a spare tire, so also without piece 17. My intention was to have it mounted by a body shop friend, who should have the necessary equipment to do it properly. Do you say it is not feasible?
Pradcad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Pradcad »

You can have the spare wheel mounted on the exterior. This is a common thing to do as the 4motion don't come with a spare as the rear diff is in the way.
Pradcad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Pradcad »

SnoWhite wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 pm That spare wheel carrier component is designed to be fitted by VW in the factory where the bracket is spot welded at numerous points to the underside of the floor.

If the bracket is being installed as a retrofit - you either need to pay a garage with suitable spot welding kit to attach it for you, or if you plan on doing the work yourself, then drill and bolt the black frame in place using plenty of short stainless steel bolts drilled through the bracket where it touches the underside of the floor. Obviously before drilling always check both sides for wires etc - OK there was nothing to worry about on my Maxi - but you never know if someone has been busy adding aftermarket stuff - in which case you could find speaker wires or reversing camera feeds running in very weird places.

As you can see on that photo - the load floor is formed from corrugated metal. So by only drilling through the floor at the lower point the head of the fixing bolts will appear in the corresponding valley in the floor - and even with a nylock nut and washer it will still be below the floor.

Don't forget a decent coat of rust preventative paint. especially if you often drive in areas where road salt is used a lot to keep roads clear in the winter.

If you do fit a spare wheel then it is a good idea to remove clean and reinstate the spare at least once a year and apply grease to the mounting bolts to stop them rusting in place.

SnoWhite
Hi @SnoWhite, I know it was a long time since you made this modification but it would be very helpful if you could please supply the part numbers for what you ended up needing. My van is the same as yours and I don't want to be spending money on bits I need and not getting the ones I do ! Thanks, much obliged.
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster

Post by SnoWhite »

I suggest you start by crawling under the back of the Caddy and working out what if any of the parts needed are actually in place. My Maxi 4 Motion officially did not have a spare wheel when it left the factory so they just supplied the compressor and slime pack. However s spare wheel was a factory option available for LHD German Caddy maxi models.

When I checked under my Caddy I was pleasantly surprised to find that some of the parts needed to carry a spare wheel were actually installed so I removed them from my parts list. If I remember correctly the following parts were already attached by VW - parts 8, 11, 25, 26, 40.

So I only ended up ordering parts 6, 7, 9, 14, 17.

However that diagram does not look right to me especially item 14.

The holes in the end of the spare wheel support bracket (9) locate directly onto the hook (40) which I found was already welded to the underside of the floor. To prevent the spare wheel support bracket(9) coming loose, it is effectively locked in place by a metal rod which I guess is item (14) but mine definitely was not a straight metal rod. Mine was an l shape with a 90 degree bend at one end and with slots crimped into the other end so that it could not fall out or be removed with the tyre in place.

Also not shown on that diagram I also ordered up the extended Exhaust heat shield piece - these come with spring retaining clips (which will work loose and fall out) so buy a few extra clips. On my Caddy the mounting spikes for the longer heat shield were also in situ, so once I worked out the correct orientation it was a very simple and neat fix. I also purchased and carry a decent bottle jack, extending wheel brace and locking wheel nut key.

Hope that helps. PS the 4 Motion haldex unit does not prevent installation of a full size spare under the floor of a maxi - but it might prevent fitting one under a SWB model.

Have fun - Driving on mountain roads I have already needed to use my spare twice and on each occasion it happened it was of course during rain/snow. So I was very thankful that I decided to make the investment and thereby avoided a potentially long wait for rescue services..

SnoWhite