Noob rear camera pain...

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Philfab
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Noob rear camera pain...

Post by Philfab »

Quick internet search brought this up=
Issue was caused by using the reverse light wire to power the camera. VW uses PWS which causes the voltage to fluctuate. Changed to the reverse output from the PAC RP4-VW11 and it gave the camera stable power. I ended up using a relay to power the camera that's switched by the reverse output.
Philfab
Caddy Fan

Post by Philfab »

So it seems an SPST relay is required, it just needs a signal from the reverse light to fire it. Then use the switched live and earth off the rear wiper connector and that should do it. best get on ebay for a relay then.
mostlysimon
200BHP+

Post by mostlysimon »

Philfab wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:25 pm So it seems an SPST relay is required, it just needs a signal from the reverse light to fire it. Then use the switched live and earth off the rear wiper connector and that should do it. best get on ebay for a relay then.
He has done exactly this, there are photos of the relay setup earlier in the thread.
Philfab
Caddy Fan

Post by Philfab »

mostlysimon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:04 pm He has done exactly this, there are photos of the relay setup earlier in the thread.
Sorry i have a habit of replying without fully reading. I'll have another read and see if i can see an error
Just plugged up mine after fitting the relay. pic with engine running.

Image[/URL]

Relay (before tidyup)

Image[/URL]

Sorted

Image[/URL]

So to sum up = Switched 12v is from the wiper plug (2nd down from brown), Earth is to the door (used the bolt on the back of the handle assembly), Trigger is from the blue/black reverse wire on tail light plug, then switched live output is to the camera power (the connector that has black and red wires).

I didn't use the earth wire that came out of the plug, nor did i use either of the red wires at either end of the camera feed wire (the one with yellow plugs).
Philfab
Caddy Fan

Post by Philfab »

Tp88 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:30 pm
I then move to the rear wiper but as it’s a constant 12V once it’s in reverse, it all works but the lights on the camera never go off so I assume it’s running power too it all the time. I was hoping I would t have to faf with a relay but I’m assuming that’s going to be the answer?

Did it work perfectly when you did this? if so 1=were are you currently earthing to & 2=check your relay connections and maybe try a different relay.
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

So currently the power is coming from the rear wiper and the Earth is now coming from the socket from the rear wiper - not the chassis (although the paint was rubbed off!). I ask checked the socket wires with a power meter thingy so I definitely know which ones are live leaving the only wire remaining to be the Earth.

Still no luck though?

The head unit has a reverse wire but I’ve not wired this to anything as the rear light triggers the relay?

The long wire going between the head unit and camera has two wee red wires from it, neither of which are wired in. Only the red power wire directly from the camera (which is wired into the rear wiper?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
totty79
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by totty79 »

I think you've almost proven this is not a power issue. You've tried a different positive and a different earth. The only thing you haven't confirmed is in one of Docs posts, and that is does the relay chatter or does it just click on and click off as expected.
There are several other ways to wire it, but I don't think that trying these would be a good next step.

You've also tried a different camera so a camera fault is unlikely.

What this leaves is:
The video wire - try a camera direct to the head unit
The headunit - difficult to test without having another similar device
A compatibility issue - check the camera and head unit support the same standard (pal or ntsc)
Tp88
Caddy Fan

Post by Tp88 »

sorry missed the relay part - relay is fine, switches over without issues when reverse is engaged, no chatter etc.

I'll try to connect the reverse direct and power it through the sub wire and see if that changes anything. Thanks for everyone's help so far!
Last edited by Doc on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
nodeward
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by nodeward »

did you ever get this sorted? having the exact same problem with mine and it looks like the i have the same headunit