SRS Automotive 300+bhp BKD #Racevan - Ex Darkside Developments

Show off your caddy
Mayor West
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: SRS Automotive 300+bhp BKD #Racevan - Ex Darkside Developments

Post by Mayor West »

Doc wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:14 pm Nice to see it's not all about power and handling and the trim is getting some attention too, fair play Stefan.

Do your paddles work?
Yeah the interior needs to look the part too Doc, it's been on the cards for a while but only just got round to sorting it.

Yes the paddles work perfectly, I need to alter the position though as I'm not happy with how the sit at the minute.
Kris C
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Kris C »

Ther fabrication on this is superb, something i always wanted to make more time to try and learn. Nothing in this level obviously. Do you still use it as a day to day or the more you go, the less its road friendly?
Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

Kris C wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:48 am Ther fabrication on this is superb, something i always wanted to make more time to try and learn. Nothing in this level obviously. Do you still use it as a day to day or the more you go, the less its road friendly?
It gets used daily and is really usable, the ride quality is nice and it drives better than most modified road cars Iv'e been in. The only slight inconvenient thing is having to lift your leg over the door bars when getting in & out but they're not that high so it's still pretty easy.
Kris C
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Kris C »

As long as its still usable, that's the main thing id always look for. Ive build full track cars before and went straight from the road version and taken it off the road, full track and only enjoyed it on the track. But that's what it was built for i suppose.
Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

Kris C wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 am As long as its still usable, that's the main thing id always look for. Ive build full track cars before and went straight from the road version and taken it off the road, full track and only enjoyed it on the track. But that's what it was built for i suppose.
Yeah I already have a full on track car that isn't really that road friendly so when we were building it I made sure it was more for the road but will be good / safe on the track.
Kris C
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Kris C »

Always good to drive to the track, race and drive home again without loading a trailer etc.
james400
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by james400 »

Anymore news on this ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

karlos0891
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by karlos0891 »

Mayor West wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:42 pm The Caddy is away having the 4wd rear end sorted at Slide Motorsport in West Yorkshire so while it's there we thought we may as well get some parts ready for it's return.

We chose to powdercoat the parts in the same colours as out logo which I think has turned out really well.

Rear end parts to follow....

are these the 17z/18z callipers? they s3 alloy hubs? they without needing crazy offset wheels? ive been sat looking at a set of these for my touran but fitting those hubs and from what i have read they can cause issues due to the alloy hubs having wider ears for the carrier bolts
Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

karlos0891 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:35 am are these the 17z/18z callipers? they s3 alloy hubs? they without needing crazy offset wheels? ive been sat looking at a set of these for my touran but fitting those hubs and from what i have read they can cause issues due to the alloy hubs having wider ears for the carrier bolts
Yes these are the 18z calipers & MK2 TT / S3 hubs, the wheels are ET45 and we had no issue's with fitting. You do need to buy different bolts & matching nuts for the 18z calipers for any VW hubs as far as I'm aware.
Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

I haven't posted anything about the Caddy for a while, it had been off the road due to a leak on the A3 fuel tank that was originally used so we decided to make an alloy tank for it.
I didn't really want to do this originally as I like the idea of it looking as factory as possible underneath but this actually turned out pretty well.

We started off in CAD (cardboard aided design) to make sure we could get the largest possible tank without it fouling anything or sitting too low. We made it angle up at the rear so it would meet up with the edge of the rear diffuser to help with the aero too.

After test fitting the cardboard tank it was then made in alloy, that was test fitted again and then it was cut to take the quattro fuel pumps. I had some alloy rings laser cut to fit these in place, one being threaded which was welded to the tank and the other with a slightly larger hole for the bolt to pass through that would sandwich the pump in place.

It then went off for powdercoat to match the rest of the underside.

This has been on a while now and seems perfect, we even managed to make it a very similar capacity to the original tank.
Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

At the same time as doing the above we also fitted some plastic floor panels from an A3 to make a kind of factory type flat floor. These went on fairly easy and only needed a slight mod to the rear of the panel by the way of the hole saw.

These also have a small deflector type part on them at the rear which I thought was pretty cool as it would hopefully deflect the air away from the edge of the fuel tank? Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't but it looks pretty cool anyway.

We decided to fit the engine splash guard too as this would make it kind of flat floored (except the exhaust tunnel) from the front splitter to the rear of these panels, then the tank would go from this and angle towards the rear diffuser taking the air out of the rear end.

I think this is the best way to make the Caddy have a flat floor without actually designing something custom and all of this uses the factory mounts and is very quick & easy to remove if we need to work on it.
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Celticrsmith »

Well done 👍 impressive
james400
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by james400 »

Love how you built the fuel tank cant beet CAD Haha
Have you had the fuel filler neck come out the n/s or have you relocated it?

Mayor West
Caddy Fan

Post by Mayor West »

james400 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:08 pm Love how you built the fuel tank cant beet CAD Haha
Have you had the fuel filler neck come out the n/s or have you relocated it?
There wasn't enough room to get it up to the original filler location unfortunately.

Here are some pictures of the filler neck, I hadn't realised that I missed these off.

bob86
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by bob86 »

Wow, what a van!!

And nice to see someone else stealing RM boxesImage