Crs_b's Caddy - The Daily

Show off your caddy
Crs_b
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Crs_b's Caddy - The Daily

Post by Crs_b »

As I’m starting to spend a bit more time on the caddy, I thought I best start up a build thread :D It started like anyone else with multiple car projects, and I told myself this was going to be my daily driver and that I wouldn't mess with it... I managed to hold off the urge for 2 and a half years which is a personal best :lol:

I bought it back in July 2016 looking like this

When I first bought the caddy it had the following mods:

- Touran dash and centre console
- Touran sport headlights
- Mk4 Golf GTI seats (apparently)
- Heko wind deflectors
- Tinted rear and side lights
- Tinted rear windows
- Rear wiper delete
- Ply lined and carpeted load area
- Green Lino flooring (now removed)
- Green side and number plate lights (now removed)
- Shelving (now removed)
- Reversing camera
- Engine has been remapped (to god knows what as I was given no readouts :lol: )

Since then I have done the following:

- Fitted a Double din head unit
- Made a folding bed in the back
- Removed the folding bed in the back
- Changed all green lights to white
- Removed the green lino and replaced for carpet
- Replaced the melted rear door trim that holds the license plate lights
- Repaired the reversing camera
- Put some baddly break dust covered Mercedes alloys on to use the tyres up
- Clutch and cam belt change
- Various bushings
- Fitted 1 Touran door card and electric window

So here’s a picture of the caddy in its current state...

Not much has changed but it’s looking pretty sorry for itself so I thought it was time to give it some loving.

We started the summer off with a (cramped) camping trip

The first thing I did was replace the rear number plate light holder, as the person who had it previously to me had green lights everywhere and fitted some awful green number plate bulbs which had huge resistors which I'm guessing overheated by looking at this :lol:

I then picked up these 18” Audi Segment (I think thats the right name) alloys last month which will be getting a refurb and a new set of tyres

And I came across a Touran that’s being scrapped and I’ve managed to get quite a bit of stuff off it, I made sure i got the touran seat bases just incase i decide to upgrade my seats in the future, didn't see the need to now because the seats in it are very comfy.

I gave it all a good clean, the misses wasn't best pleased with where I chose to wash everything though :lol:

I started by replacing the flooring for carpet and changing the grey centre console and arm rest for black ones which was a nice straight forward job.

I then moved onto the door cards and electric windows which was semi straight forward, so far I only have the drivers window done as I lost the light, perks of not having a workshop :lol:

When I first got the door cards they were pretty scratched from what looked like dog claws, I read up online that taking a heat gun to the plastic gets rid of the marks and it worked a treat!

Before

After

Once I had a dry day I actually got a chance to fit it all, I added some sticky back sound deadening foam to the doors which seems to of helped a bit with road noise

Added in a live for the window motor

And after all that it worked perfectly!

Until I get some better weather I won't be doing a lot, next step is to get the passenger window in, get the wheels refurbed and i'll be ordering a set of ST X coilovers in the next few days.

After that I plan on getting a Touran front bumper, a colour coded rear bumper and colour coding various things on the van so it shouldn't take too much longer to finish it, after all it is only a daily ;)
Last edited by Crs_b on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 - VW Caddy - 1.9Tdi - The Daily
1991 - Mercedes 190e - 2.6 - Show car project
1991 - VW Mk2 Golf - 1.8T - Race car project
2006 - VW Passat - 1.9tdi - Breaking for spares
Liam
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Crs_b's Caddy - The Daily

Post by Liam »

nice project looking forward to see what you do next
2016 2.0 Tdi Mk4 Trendline caddy 160bhp
Remapped by Joe Power at TDR.ie www.tdr.ie
Build thread here
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34976
Crs_b
Caddy Fan

Post by Crs_b »

Spent a bit more time on the caddy yesterday and today, managed to get the passenger electric window in, and it went in no bother! Added the sound deadening foam again, just need to go for a drive and see if it’s made a difference.

When I installed the drivers side I noticed that the window regulator was a bit crunchy, and one side dropped before the other, I saw that the window regulator had a bit of play in the wires, so I crudely spaced this section out to create a bit more tension. I bought the inner skin complete with the regulators off eBay as the ones on the Touran were a bit broken, they aren't OEM but they seem to be holding up fine... for now :lol: it may look rubbish, but the screws are in there solid and I don't think they will be moving any time soon.

After I had first finished installing the drivers electric window last week I noticed that the interior light didn’t come on when the drivers door was opened and the lights warning chime didn’t come on, so I stripped it all down again and removed the door latch.

I had heard that the solder joints inside can become brittle and break, and after taking it apart I found the pins to be broken on the board side. I must of been a bit rough when removing it the first time :roll:

I managed to squeeze a soldering iron into it and bridge the gap with some solder.

And hey presto, with all that back together its working as it should :D not I just need to hurry up and order parts!

Still on the to do list is:
- Touran front bumper
- Colour coded rear bumper
- Colour code door handles
- Colour code side moulding s
- Coilovers
- Refurb Audi alloys
- Install footwell lights
- Install puddle lights
Last edited by Crs_b on Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crs_b
Caddy Fan

Post by Crs_b »

Cleaned up some more of the plastics tonight, the rubber coating was damaged and I thought it looked nasty.

When I first started cleaning the plastics i searched how people had taken off the rubber coating and a few people said they used solvents. I thought this might harm the plastic and just smudge the rubber around so I tried using very hot water and dish soap. I let it soak for a few minutes to warm up the rubber then used a hard bristle brush used for washing dishes and it came off very easily and didn't leave any scratch marks.

Not a massive update, but I thought it might be worth a mention if anyone plans on doing it and doesn't want to use solvents. This took approx 2 minutes of scrubbing and i'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Crs_b
Caddy Fan

Post by Crs_b »

Liam wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:45 pm nice project looking forward to see what you do next
Cheers Liam! Sorry don't know how I didn't see your comment. I'm hoping not to spend too much more on it and get it finished ASAP! Need to change the glow plugs next as its throwing a glow plug fault on cylinder 1 and 4 :roll:
Sean1066
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Sean1066 »

Nice build👍
How much was your touran interior. As I'm looking to put in door cards, carpet and a centre console in mine.
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
Crs_b
Caddy Fan

Post by Crs_b »

Sean1066 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:28 am Nice build👍
How much was your touran interior. As I'm looking to put in door cards, carpet and a centre console in mine.
Thanks!
You’ll hate me for this, but it was 2 crates of beer :lol: a family friend has an Touran that they’re scrapping, there’s something wrong with the engine and it’s been beaten to hell. I’ve taken pretty much all the parts worth having off of it and used them on my caddy :)
Crs_b
Caddy Fan

Post by Crs_b »

Rainy day today, so I decided to have a go at changing the Caddy clocks to Touran ones.

I started by splitting the clocks and looking inside, the first thing I noticed was that the immobiliser boards were different so I didn't have high hopes of this working straight away.

I noticed something a bit strange when dismantling the caddy clocks, I think someone may of had some check engine light problems in the past, trusty VW :lol:
Spot the difference!!

After having a chuckle at that I did a bit of fault finding and figuring out if the Touran clocks would work in any way by mix and matching the immobiliser board and the main board. I wanted to bee 100% sure that I hadn’t made a simple mistake by not seating them right but I kept getting these various error messages.

I had a think about getting the clocks coded in but I don't really like the blue Touran back light and I saw this post on the forum and thought its probably the easiest thing to do.
http://www.forum.caddy2k.com/viewtopic.php?t=31997
This way I can keep it basically all caddy and with the correct data.

I started off by dismantling the clocks further.

I then de-soldered the 4 soldered points and pushed the 2 white pins in to free up the motor and it popped out quite easily.

The problem I then had was (like mentioned in that other topic) was the LED back light for the water temp, luckily I had the whole other board available to butcher, so I hunted down a couple of red LEDs. The easiest way I found to do this was by setting my multi meter to continuity test and then it lights up the LED so you can find the right colour.

They are ridiculously fiddly to solder in place, so forgive me for my pigeon s**t soldering :lol:

After that I soldered the water temp motor in place.

I reassembled it with the Touran dials as I think they look a lot nicer than the caddy ones.

I tested it out in the caddy with high hopes but the LEDs I had soldered in didn't work!! No fault of the LED, I think where the caddy dosen't come with the water temp dial, they must not feed power to certain places.

So my OCD was going wild, tried telling myself it was fine... but I couldn't handle it, so I took all the clocks apart again :lol:
This time I removed the 2 LEDs in place and added tails to them as I thought that I could make a parallel circuit off of the existing LEDs for the fuel gauge and then glue them into place with a hot glue gun. I then tested it again with the continuity test and it appeared to all be working!

Oh and if anyone plans on doing this, you'll need to make a couple of gaps for the wires to go under.

With all the clocks back together again, it all seems to be working as it should! :D The temp goes up to 90, and after a bit of prodding and playing, the speedo now reads correctly.

The only annoying thing now is that the airbag light is on because i'm a tit and forgot to disconnect the battery once :( and for some reason my VCDS lite can't fix it. Other than that it was a fairly successful day, just waiting for some better weather to do some more electrical work like puddle and footwell lights.
Primal730
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Primal730 »

Nice work mate!
I’m guessing you’re an auto electrician?
Same as you & hoping for some dry weather to work on mine.
11 plate caddy
Lowered
Porsche 18’s
Golf gti seats
More to come
Crs_b
Caddy Fan

Post by Crs_b »

Cheers mate!
Not an auto electrician as such, I work with electrical subsea equipment (I do subsea inspections) and like to pretend I know my way around a soldering iron :lol:
Winters my quiet time so I can actually get around to working on the van and the cars!
Last edited by dan@biali on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary quote
8 Ball
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by 8 Ball »

That's cool! Great you got it all working. This has got me thinking. Is the circuit board with the gauges on it interchangeable between clusters of the exact same part number without having to recode it? I have a fault with my main circuit board and have another cluster with the same number. Could it be that simple to resolve?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Crs_b
Caddy Fan

Post by Crs_b »

I think it might be interchangeable but the only thing is I think the mileage is stored in the board with the gauges on it. When I had the Touran dials plugged into the caddy immobiliser, It came up with the Tourans mileage. It’s pretty easy to swap the boards, to take it all apart and put it back together again twice would probably only take an hour.
Last edited by dan@biali on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary quote
8 Ball
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by 8 Ball »

Thanks for the reply
Will try tonight.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Crs_b
Caddy Fan

Post by Crs_b »

Short and sweet update today.
Added some puddle lights underneath my door cards, nice and simple job. I bought the lights off eBay for a whopping £1.99 for the pair. Heres the link if you're interested
The lights come with sticky pads which are pretty strong and hold it nicely to the underside of the door card. I drilled a small hole for the wire to go through and put a blob of hot glue on the inside to hold it in place. I then soldered the wires onto the existing door warning lights that come on when you open the door.

Its made quite a difference!
Before
After
Crs_b
Caddy Fan

Post by Crs_b »

Treated the Caddy and the Golf the other day to a set of ST X and KW V1 coilovers :)

Sending bumpers, door handles, side trims etc away next week to be sprayed. New wheels and tyres should be here Friday/Monday.

It’s going to be a good couple of weeks :D