My caddy build and face lift

Show off your caddy
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: My caddy build and face lift

Post by anoneamus »

Nice! May be worth doing a "how to", as I'd imagine there are FL conversion folks that might want to go down this route...

BTW, found this regards the ALS on HID lights:

The current VOSA MOT guide(01/01/12 onwards) states this "Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge(HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given. Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch."
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by KenTDI140 »

So. Basically I’m ok with head lamp washers only.
I did ask a couple of my customers as all my customers are garages and they all pretty much said if it had als fitted it must work but if I only fit washers they would not fail it on an mot.

By the way. The led cobs came today and I have managed to get the first 5 in place this evening. In the pic below u can just about make out the one I have on my finger.
They are damed small Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Wow, those are tiny! Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the washers, as you probably won't get them to work without a BCM anyway, and hardly anyone here that's done the Xenon retrofit has bothered (and noone has failed MOT for that).
james400
Hyper Poster

Post by james400 »

Any more update on this yet mate?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sean1066
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Sean1066 »

Very nice build ken
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

No more news on the lights as yet. One light is finnished and ready to fit but due to a faulty injector I have had to pull ou the engine again and do another complete rebuild.
Really pissed of about it as only done 2000 miles on the new engine.

What happened was an injector nozzle stuck open for a moment causing no 3 big end bearing to get crushed.
In that split second the bearing spun and took out the crank and con rod and small filings damaged the piston.

So now I have had to get another crankshaft. Gone for steel rods this time as well. Also found a mild cam shaft from a guy in Canada that knows his stuff.
Hoping to be back on the toad for Xmas.

james400
Hyper Poster

Post by james400 »

Sorry to hear that but no doubt it will be built bigger and better to take more power

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Well my aim is 300 bhp but still makefull boost by 1800 rpm and still keeping good drivability from 1200 rpm.
Of course the steel rods will be lighter so they will help with pick up. Apart from that the only real difference is going to be the cam which has .5mm higher lift but no more total valve duration. And the cam has slightly more lift on the injector lobe.

KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Van is now back on the road and half way into the running in of the engine.
I managed to find a high lift cam from franks tdi’s llc in Canada.
I didn’t want a full race cam like dark side and so many other places offer as I like drivability and low end torque.

jamie8gti
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by jamie8gti »

wow what a build! she's come a long way! front bumpers both look great! mk2 even more so. :D
LegendaryAllen
100BHP+

Post by LegendaryAllen »

New member here, spent the majority of today going through this build and can only reiterate everyone else comments...amazing build thread, amazing work. As most have said i only wish i had the time, money, tools and the skills to do all these modifications. i'd say i dabble in OEM+ modifications but nowhere near on your level.

Have you got an update for us Ken? (^_^)
We're not here for a Long Time, we're here for a Good Time!
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

My caddy build and face lift

Post by KenTDI140 »

Hi and thanks for the comments.

The only updates I have are not good news. Following the accident and total rebuild of the front end and of course the engine rebuild converting it to 2.0 ltr I had just about done 2000 miles when an injector went wrong.
This destroyed the engine as it stuck open causing massive overload of no3 big end bearing. This crushed the bearing and caused it to fail.
Even though I shut the engine down the moment I felt something was wrong it wrecked the con rod and the crank shaft beyond repair. Small particles also got up into the piston skirt and gudgeon pin so no 3 piston had to be replaced as well.
So now I’m running a bkd 16 valve crank with steel conrods.
After some arguments with the injector firm one nozzle has been replaced and all injectors have been rebuilt and balanced again with injection pressures raised to my own spec.
Fingers crossed it’s running well at the moment. But I’ve lost confidence a bit with it so I’ll see how it goes for another couple of thousand miles before I put it on the rollers for some bhp tests.

As for the head lights I finnished making one work but the other one will have to wait till I have more free time later this year

Last edited by KenTDI140 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegendaryAllen
100BHP+

Post by LegendaryAllen »

That sounds like a right ball ache.
Think i'm just gonna stick to a simple facelift conversion and then at some point do a cluster upgrade.
other than that i'm an injector or 2 down so gotta figure out getting that diagnosed or just replace all 4 and my turbo needs setting up properly.
Then my car should run very nicely.

*2.0ltr TDI AZV Touran 136bhp*
We're not here for a Long Time, we're here for a Good Time!
volvomeck
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by volvomeck »

Love what you have done to your van, keep up the good work :D
Caddy propably the best car in the world
Pirelli901R
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Pirelli901R »

Very interesting topic, I hope you will get your xenon lights work properly. I'm trying the same thing, I have the same problem, had new bcm 5K0937087 but still no high beam and leds.