Caddy no start :-(

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Caddy no start :-(

Post by Celticrsmith »

Hey, hoping someone can help. Yesterday my sdi wouldn’t start. I blamed it on the -4 temperature but it just wouldn’t turn over. I took the wife’s car with heated everything so wasn’t too bad. When I got home from work I tried it and it fired up 2nd time no probs. I ran it for a while and thought all was ok.

This morning it struggled to even turn over, and it was if the battery was on its way out. I’ve an ex gas van so it has one of those battery saver thingies on it but reckon if I change the battery over, all will be ok?

I appreciate it’s a pretty vague description I’ve given as could be a million things but are caddy’s prone to dying in cold weather?!

Tia
Dylwestbury
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Caddy no start :-(

Post by Dylwestbury »

It sounds like your battery might be dead,you could check the voltage of the battery if you have a multi function tester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean1066
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Sean1066 »

Hi buddy
I have an ex BG van and I have never had that problem. Try charging your battery. Or test your battery's voltage
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

It does sound like the Battery is on its way out, but other issues could be at play - dying alternator?

The first thing I would do is put it on charge over night and see if it fires up readily in the morning - which suggests the battery. If you have a volt-meter then definitely volts before and after charging it and in the morning note the volts with the engine stopped and again with the engine running. The volts with the engine running should be noticeably higher than when the engine is stopped. As a rough check you can usually the headlight brightness increases when you start the car - which should confirm the alternator is working.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

SnoWhite
JAZ8140
Caddy Fan

Post by JAZ8140 »

a battery with with the engine running should be between 13.8 and 14.9
I usaly say 14.2-14.9 but if the battery or alternator is old they can charge a little less, I work on vans for a living it's just the rule I live to and it works

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Turns out it’s the battery. I used the jump leads on it and it’s fine. Ran it in a little so I’ll get that changed ASAP.

On the other hand, there was a lot of black sooty smoke that came out the back when revving hard. Never had that before, any ideas? It’d only been sitting for 3 days max.
Mini 360
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mini 360 »

Was the slot constant or just after startup and soon cleared?
caddymaxi.
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by caddymaxi. »

What's the year and milage?
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

caddymaxi. wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 pm What's the year and milage?
2010 69k
karlos0891
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by karlos0891 »

black soot if it was stationary will be normal in a way as when outside temps are colder the ecu increases fuelling to help the engine warm up quicker and also with a dead battery attached it will be trying to recharge that too. if under load while driving and theres black smoke it can be egr sooted up so not sealing correctly. or can be a boost leak. my diesel smokes when i just rev it with no load but with a load on it it very rarely smokes