RNS 510 upgrade

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Sunn159ti
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

RNS 510 upgrade

Post by Sunn159ti »

Hi there, this is likely to have been posted here before but as a newbie I have limited access as yet.....

I've just bought a VW RNS 510 to upgrade my Caddy with and wondered what else I need to get it working please?

Will I need someone to code anything on my Van for the unit to work OK?

It's coming with a radio code and GPS antenna so those aspects are sorted at least.

I'd like to make it work with a non-VW reversing camera if possible, any ideas?

Bluetooth built-in? Or do I need another box?

Comments gratefully received!
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: RNS 510 upgrade

Post by Barbel330 »

I needed mine coding when I fitted it. Bluetooth is not built in so you'll need a module and loom to get that option. I had an aftermarket rear camera fitted and working perfect with an aftermarket head unit previously but when I swapped to the rns510 it had different connectors. I bought a module from China and whilst it does work, it's not right. It now has a different aspect veiw, no moving guide lines and a slight flicker when in reverse. I've given up trying to fix it (it's still quite useable just not 109%) but tbh if I do get round to sorting it I'll just buy a new camera that is compatible with the OEM fittings.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Sunn159ti
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sunn159ti »

OK thanksfor that advice, I didn't realise Bluetooth wasn't already built-in to RNS 510!

I'm pretty sure though that while my Caddy appears to be quite basic spec, it does have some sort of Bluetooth system - I'm sure I came across a phone something-or-other in a menu when I first bought it. If I can suss this out, might this be the Bluetooth system I need for RNS510 or would I need to find this other module and loom you mention still? (Probably the latter I realise, such is life!)

Thanks too for the rear camera advice - also useful! I've just looked at some of the Chinese adaptors and might try one in due course!
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

The Bluetooth module is generally located under the driver's seat so you can check there, you'll also have an extra loom going into the rear of the head unit and a microphone up in the interior light.
Sunn159ti
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sunn159ti »

I know there's a microphone, definitely no extra loom at the head unit though, no idea what's under the seat (probably lots of dirt, sadly :roll:

I'll have a look! Thanks again!
Sunn159ti
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sunn159ti »

Wow, what a great upgrade! Seriously recommend it to others!

I tried a cheapie unit from Ebay when I first got the van, but even with the seller kindly sending me a replacement, then another, it just wouldn't work 100% (Different faults with each one - buyer beware!)

The 510 I bought 2nd hand came with it's code, a GPS antennae and 2018 maps. I bought an aerial adaptor to split the single aerial feed from my van for the two inputs of the diversity tuner in the 510 and it all slotted in easily - in fact the most difficult thing was slotting it in as the unit was a little deeper and one of the OEM wire harnesses to the heater controls was a bit in the way at first!

I found that my van does have a compatible bluetooth system too - Brucie bonus! No add-on module required! :D

V happy - thanks Barbel330 for your advice - very much appreciated!
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

👍 nice one mate.
Craig2001
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Craig2001 »

Definitely an upgrade I want to undertake on my own.

The caddy at the moment has parking sensors fitted with the lower spec radio do you have any idea if with it being a straight swap into the caddy if the parking display will function as normal on the RNS 510.
I know the coloured unit shows a completely different display than the black and white display fitted now
karlos0891
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by karlos0891 »

if you have the ops parking sensor module then a rcd510 or rns510 can have the sensors on the screen when reversing think most with colour screen will. but if you only have the pdc parking sensor module then theres wiring and module swap to do to get it on the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craig2001
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Craig2001 »

Thanks for the info, I will have to check which type i have first.
fingers crossed i already have the right one, knowing my luck..... it wont be. :lol:
chrisd317
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by chrisd317 »

are these units just plug and play, do they need any coding with VCDS?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

The requirement for coding will depend on the existing coding on your Caddy and the head unit.
If you are fitting navigation and you have not already had this, you will need to code it to get information on your instrument cluster.
If your caddy has a media input or reverse camera but the head unit did not have these attached in it's last installation, you will need those coded.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort