Caddy 1.6 mpg

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Chrisbryant13
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Caddy 1.6 mpg

Post by Chrisbryant13 »

I was looking at the extra urban mpg that you should “expect”get out of the 1.6 caddy, I think it states around 55mpg compared to what I imagine is the same 1.6 engine in the golf, however the “expected” figure for the golf was 85mpg.
Can anyone enlighten me as to why the figures are so vastly different, I imagine gearing and engine mapping would be slightly different to cater for the different intended uses but 30mpg difference seems a bit excessive?
Mainly interested as I’d like to get better mpg as the returned mpg seems a bit poor for a 1.6 diesel, the only time I’d get anything like averaging 55 is down hill with the wind behind me completely empty!🤷‍♂️
Ta
Southhamscaddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: Caddy 1.6 mpg

Post by Southhamscaddy »

I only travel very local mileage on single track roads and spend as much time in reverse as forwards (well almost) and over the last 3 months seem to get 49.5 mpg plus (but never 50) I would have thought extra urban running would give pushing 60 to the gallon. Or am I dreaming?
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Caddy 1.6 mpg

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi, I’m getting around 45/48 to the gallon on a combined cycle. I’m a very steady driver though (still have my limiter on) and I never carry any weight in the van.
One thing that will play a part in the fuel consumption difference between the caddy and golf is drag coefficient. The caddy is higher from the ground and a taller body. Wheel size, gearing etc will also play a part too, as will engine type variations I would imagine. The golf engine is probably tuned with a bit more power in mind too.
To be honest, I take fuel consumption figures with a massive pinch of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
BradleyB
Twin Turbo poster

Post by BradleyB »

Agreed
My 2017 150 ps
Highest I’ve had is 42mpg
My old 2006 1.9tdi 104ps used to get 55 mpg

I Could be wrong but I’m sure the tanks are smaller on the add blue range vans
55 litres instead of 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bob86
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by bob86 »

I'm just about to buy a 1.6l Caddy Maxi, I do a 15 minute hop on the Mway everyday, with about 5 mins of normal built up area drive to home and work at either end, at the minute, I'm in a Ford Mondeo 2l, and averaging around 75 on the Mway, I get about 50mpg.

what should I expect out of an unladen Caddy Maxi?

would a 2l be a better one to look out for?