LED No. Plate bulbs

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Southhamscaddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

LED No. Plate bulbs

Post by Southhamscaddy »

Maybe it's an age thing but......what is the point of LED no.plate bulbs? I see may cars on the motorways with the aforesaid and the only thing I notice is that the number plate very quickly becomes illegible as the vehicle pulls into the distance, bog standard lights leave the plate visible for much longer periods. Is the glare intentional to obscure the plate?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: LED No. Plate bulbs

Post by Doc »

For me, the LED light is a much nicer white light than you can get from a halogen filament lamp.
I tend to go for the lower light output LEDs with complex integrated circuit rather than the cheaper high output super bright multi LED type which from a manufacture point of view are easier to circumnavigate the bulb error and be classed as "CANbus friendly".

On the subject of obscuring the plate, is it a requirement for a rear plate to be legible from a certain distance? I don't think it is.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
totty79
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by totty79 »

You aren't alone, maybe it's an age thing but I miss the point of virtually all cosmetic mods, the fake engine sound speaker being the strangest I've come across.
I do like a good performance, handling or practical upgrade though.
Southhamscaddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Southhamscaddy »

Doc wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 am For me, the LED light is a much nicer white light than you can get from a halogen filament lamp.
I tend to go for the lower light output LEDs with complex integrated circuit rather than the cheaper high output super bright multi LED type which from a manufacture point of view are easier to circumnavigate the bulb error and be classed as "CANbus friendly".

On the subject of obscuring the plate, is it a requirement for a rear plate to be legible from a certain distance? I don't think it is.
I would agree that as a general rule 'colder' light does look better but it just seems strange to have a mod that only the person behind 'benefits' from.
Lewis1983
Caddy Fan

Post by Lewis1983 »

Cant find any leds that fit :lol:
Kermit
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Kermit »

I've always looked and wondered whether it was worth it or not.