Help with knocking/clunking.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
DanHughes
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Help with knocking/clunking.

Post by DanHughes »

After some help if possible please if anyone has experienced anything similar. I have had coilovers on the van now for around 3 weeks. I have been experiencing a clunking/knocking from the front that's got worse over the past week. It's one of them annoying knocks/clunks as if something is really loose and it seems to travel through the pedals (can also hear it pretty clearly while driving) but it does not make a noise say at 60 on the motorway although when driving at 30mph on normal roads even with no bumps etc it will still knock. I have had both wheels of the van with a bar in between suspension components and everything seems to be fine. Maybe it will only knock when all the weight of the van is on the floor. I have changed the drop links and also ordered some new top mounts and outer CV joints (one of the CV'S boot had come loose) but it's not making the normal CV joint noise when they go when on full lock turning either way (can a outer CV cause knocking?) never experienced this myself. Really starting to annoy me now as I don't think its the top mounts with it travelling through the pedals etc. Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar after fitting coilovers? Thanks in advance.
Damo2k
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Help with knocking/clunking.

Post by Damo2k »

How low is your van?could be that your drop links are to long and are hitting your wishbones if van is to low?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DanHughes
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DanHughes »

I thought that and checked as best as I can see underneath while the van is on the floor mate seems ok, it's around 40mm drop I'd say, it's hard to explain but it's more of a clunking as if something is really rally loose. Guess I'll just replace the top mounts next weekend and go from there, it's also got worse over the last few days.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Damo2k
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Damo2k »

Have u checked anti roll bar bushes?

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Does it clunk when you turn the steering wheel side to side? When you go over a bump? When you accelerate or decelerate?
Have you checked nothing has been left loose in the scuttle panel? I found a ratchet spanner in a caddy scuttle panel, the owner had checked all underneath after having his van lowered but couldn't get to the bottom of his knocking noise since having his coilovers fitted.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
DanHughes
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DanHughes »

Anti roll bar bushes are fine as from what I can see with a bar in there moving them about, don't look overly worn either to be fair. The best way I can describe is it clunk's when just driving at 30mph over uneven Road, if I hit a pothole it's just hard like when running coilovers but no clunk. It's hard to explain but it's fine with the wheels locked, turning, accelerating and decelerating. I have had the clunk before on a car and changed the drop links and it was all good. Nothing under scuttle I checked yesterday as I had the wiper motor off to check the top mounts.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

DanHughes
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DanHughes »

Just found the dogbone mount bush has loads of play, with it being at the gearbox i'm thinking maybe its giving excessive movement in the shafts and causing it to feel like the shafts are knocking, has anyone experienced this before I order a new mount and bush insert? Cheers :D
Damo2k
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Damo2k »

I would leave the van stationary and pull up handbrake put into gear and work the clutch up and down,u should hear or feel if its gone.

DanHughes
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DanHughes »

Yeah good thinking, cheers buddy.
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Stedlocks »

Did you get to the bottom of this fella?
djandyk
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by djandyk »

Having a similar issue did you ever find it one fitted a dead set kit and that’s not solved it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Giddy on Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post