New member from Australia

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
jalovick
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

New member from Australia

Post by jalovick »

Hi,

I've just stumbled across the Caddy2K forums while looking for some details about the roof rack holes.

I recently purchased a 2011 Volkswagen Caddy TDI250 2KN SWB Auto MY12 with a blown gearbox. I may still get it on the road as a diesel, but my ultimate goal is to convert it to electric, using the drive pack and battery pack from a Nissan Leaf, and some custom electronics (probably an Arduino with a CAN board or a "Huebner Brain Board"). I'm not expert in these things, but I do have a VAGCom cable that I bought a while ago with plans to upgrade the stereo in my Golf V, so I hope to get the Caddy believing everything is normal. If it works in the Caddy, I may look at other similar era VW's.

Along the way, I'd like to do some upgrades to make it a bit nicer, such as sound deadening and internal paneling and a removable expandable seat/bed module for camping.

I'm based in Sydney Australia, and would love to hear more about what others are doing with their Caddy's, particularly with feature upgrades.

Jamie
jalovick
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: New member from Australia

Post by jalovick »

Here's a pic of my Caddy...

Hopefully, it will be up and running soon enough.

Jamie
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi from sunny England mate!
Sounds like a very ambitious project you have there in using Leaf running gear. I’ve never heard of anyone doing that before.
For a few ideas of mods that people are doing, here’s some pictures of my Caddy maxi ImageImageImage
I’ve had the bumpers colour coded, new seats, a bit of (bad) carbon wrapping, better stereo and soundproofing as well as other bits and bobs. It’s getting lowered tomorrow Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
frasermcq
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by frasermcq »

Hi from Adelaide, and another new member, only I’m still in the process of getting a Caddy.
This is an ambitious project and I’ll be keen to follow how you go about it, having an electrical background myself.

Cheers, Fraser
jalovick
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jalovick »

Hi,

Thanks for the interest. I'm a little way off from starting. The biggest problem is finding a suitable donor Leaf (or rather any donor Leaf), or the parts available.

I do have a friend who is a fabricator who should help with the battery box and engine mounts, but I'll likely need to get new driveshafts made, or existing ones modified, to suit the splines in the Leaf single speed reduction gearbox.

For now, the Caddy is being used to sure the Polo parts that I'm selling. I do like the idea of lowering the Caddy. I'm also pondering adding solar panels on a bracket on the roof, once I finally get it on the road.

I'll get there eventually.

Jamie