engine conversion

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
kerrcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

engine conversion

Post by kerrcaddy »

hi all new to the caddy site,just about to start on my caddy I have bought,,looking to see what the best petrol engine conversions are out there for the caddy,,thanks
matt2k
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: engine conversion

Post by matt2k »

Believe there are a few, for me personally it would be a TFSI swap from an Audi S3, Golf R or Leon Cupra R. Or a swap from an R32
Pazza
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Pazza »

I've just bought a 20v turbo with a stage 2 chip to put in mine
envycommercial
100BHP+

Post by envycommercial »

If your very good at fabrication or money isn’t a issue go golf R

But for me if going petrol would be a 1.8T just as it’s been done a lot you can go through build threads and research it and they are so easily and cheaply tuned in comparison with any thing else.
Wouldn’t go R32 I’ve owned a mk4 and 5 r32 and even though your buy a donor really cheap as the engine comes in a lot of stuff, for power they are crap being n/a it’s big bucks to make them quicker, although there is no taking it away from rhem they sound awesome.

Or think outta box and put a ej20 out of a Impreza in one they seem to be getting thrown in just about anything at moment!.

Last bit don’t forget your always going to have the aero dynamics or a breeze block and the handerlomg of a turd on ice. And unless you go 4wd there’s not any point in going for massive bhp that’s why for me mine will always be diesel iv a golf gtd that’s only mapped that will kick the ass out of my focus st that’s dynod at 350bhp focus just won’t get traction and buy time it has the golf is round it

Just my opinion!
kerrcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by kerrcaddy »

thanks guys for the heads up,i was thinking audi s3 or the r32,but not sure yet,thats y I was looking for best ideas,cause its a realy slow sdi that's in it lol
kerrcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by kerrcaddy »

hi pazza,what was the 20v engine out of ?
kerrcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by kerrcaddy »

cheers enveycommercial,i know what u are saying about the r32 ,but I have always loved the noise lol,what car would the 18t be out of,cheers
kerrcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by kerrcaddy »

that's what I was thinking matt2k
Pazza
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Pazza »

Hi kerrcaddy
Engine was out of an 02 plated golf
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

You want to try to match platforms to make it easy, electronically.

Physically, MK5 stuff bolts straight in. The R32 setup in my Touran just bolted in (though the 4WD was a bit more complicated, physically), it's the wiring that's next hardest, but making sure all the electronics are compatible is the most important part - do it before starting, and know you may have to swap other modules for compatibility.

I breifly looked into the 1.8T before I decided on R32 instead (Plus it's better for towing around here, with lots of hills etc)

I didn't look for long, but I'm not sure the MK4 based 1.8T is going to be happy talking over the MK5 CAN system, to the ESP, ABS-based speed sensor, Instrumentation, fan controls etc. I suspect it would end up being a MAJOR rewiring job. I ABS/ESP isn't going to be very happy if it can't talk to the engine either.

The wiring for MK5 to 2K caddy is likely to be MUCH easier - they're basically the same car. I've looked a little bit into a MK5 GTI conversion for my wifes Touran. Again, it all slots in physically, but wiring is the issue. Her's is already an NA 2.0 FSI, so it's probably only a weekends work for the whole conversion, assuming there is an easy solution for the intercooler etc.

You have to watch out for production changes, such as the change from IMMO4A to 4C, cluster changes from red to white, ABS from MK60 (or MK70 if no esp?) to MK60EC1 etc.

You also have the diesel to petrol issue to consider - fuel lines, filters(petrol filter/regulator is one unit), tank etc.

Anything is doable, but I'd not want to make it more complicated than it needs to be, or to have to use aftermarket controllers, where I could have used factory.

The R32 in my Touran has nothing "un-factory" as far as electronic modules goes - the IMMO is intact, ABS/ESP is as factory standard, no ECU codes deleted - the only thing that doesn't match, is the VIN in the ECU's is an R32 Golf VIN, because the power class doesn't allow a Touran VIN in the engine ECU and Cluster (The CLuster is a Golf cluster in a Touran case - the Touran clusters don't read the second fuel level sender, even when coded for it).

I've got some info on my R32ran here: http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28193, some of it may be relevant to any swap, though bare in mind, I went with pre-2006, IMMO4A cars to make like much easier!
kerrcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by kerrcaddy »

cheers pazza :D
kerrcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by kerrcaddy »

cheers nzdubnurd,so u think the r32 is a better and safer engine change to do ?
Pazza
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Pazza »

I didn't just buy the engine and box I also got the ECU, the clocks, keys, locks , loom etc just to make things easier, yes have got to buy other bits and pieces intercooler, fuel pump fuel lines hd clutch new cambelt water pump etc but think it will be worth it, did think about an R32 but the cheapest engine I could find was 3k and that's 6 times what I paid for the 20v one.
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

@kerrcaddy

No, it depends what you want, at the end of the day - That's just what I decided for mine - suits what I need.

I used to have a 165hp 1984 Transporter, so this is much safer, but also good for family trips, and towing.
kerrcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by kerrcaddy »

so i would think a mk5 set up would suit a 57 plate caddy,or is it just as simple using mk4 golf set ups,cheers