Rear leaf lowering springs

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Mastbury
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Mastbury »

Hi all,

Got my caddy maxi lowered 60mm using the above kit from darkside. I've just recently noticed though that there seems to be a lot of movement in rear axle now. When I go around roundabouts you can see one wheel dissappear under wheel arch then reappear when you straighten up. It also looks like the rears aren't aligned probably (picture attached - can see on rear left that wheel is out for arch, and right rear is under). I've been back to garage that lowered it and they can't find anything wrong. I've emailed darkside who have come back and said that it is normal for this on leaf springs and not to be alarmed! Just want to know if anyone on here has noticed it?? The wheels also seem to be bouncing around a lot more when I go over anything other than a smooth road. I've tried to get the rear realigned but there's nothing they could do apparently... although they did realign the front!
Anyway, just after your thoughts really! I'm off riding up and down Wales next week camping in my van and don't want anything to go wrong!!
Cheers,Image

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Re: Rear leaf lowering springs

Post by Barbel330 »

It’s normal on a caddy after lowering. We’ve all experienced this. It’s nothing to worry about, it’s just the floating axle and you only notice it now your wheels are closer to your arches.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
skinnyd
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by skinnyd »

Those rear wheels look misaligned.

Is it just lowered springs or did you add a flip kit?

If the handling and looks deteriorate then it’s not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

They don’t look misaligned, it’s normal. With the rear suspension set up on a caddy, the axle can move side to side by quite a bit. They all do it but you only really notice it when you fit wider wheels and lower it. If you park on an angle, one wheel will be sticking out further than the other. I have different rear suspension now but when I had normal leaf springs, sometimes I couldn’t open my side door because the wheel was poking out so far if I’d parked on non flat ground, other times the same wheel was nowhere near touching.

He’s got an axle flip kit, you can see the rear hangers. That’s basically the only way to lower a caddy rear.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Mastbury
Caddy Fan

Post by Mastbury »

Thanks guys.

It's first time I done this so just wanted a bit of reassurance really that it isn't anything serious!

Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

After lowering you have longer rear hangers, hence more flex in them and increased side-to-side movement. To slightly compensate that you need poly bushes, as there are less flex in them compared to standard bushes. Also, with standard bushes you need to tighten up suspension bolts with wheels on ground/ramp, etc., not lifted up in the air. Otherwise you creating unnecessary tension and may have uneven stance as original bushes do not rotate.

Positioning of rear shock absorbers is not ideal in Caddy and it gets even worse after lowering, as they sit more horizontal. When axle moves up and down it compress/extend the shock absorbers less than before, so basically shock absorbers don't do the job = more bounce. To compensate that you need shorter and firmer shock absorbers.
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
envycommercial
100BHP+

Post by envycommercial »

Can’t you Drop a caddy on hub plates or have rear springs decambered ?

Either off them wouldn’t create any extra leverage on back end.

If my back axle moved that much I’d be pulling all bushes out and replacing them if it carried on doing it I’d be taking kit off.

One of mine is on a kit on back end iv not noticed it doing it but it’s on very last hole and wondering if it doesn’t have the leverage to move. Or if iv just not noticed it.

Having back end swing about even tho it’s fine and apparently the norm can’t be safe ?? I mean enough so you some times can’t open your side door? I’m now wondering if it went to a test station with shaker plates would it pass?

I’m not trying to scare you by way pal there are thousands upon thousands of vans on that lowering kit I bet everyone on here any way and no one has a issue and dark side 1000 percent know what there on about

I’m just shocked that it’s accepted as norm and no one has improved on it
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

Hi mate to help with the sideways movement I’ve polybushed the rear (using power flex black kit) and also fit alloy blocks in the hangers to create a third contact point to reduce the flex.
No issues with axle movement when driving, minor movement if I’m parked on a very steep verge (not to the point the side door won’t open though).
Sorry for the poor photo.

Last edited by Lister79 on Sat May 11, 2019 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Mastbury
Caddy Fan

Post by Mastbury »

Yeah I did wonder about putting something extra up to the hangers to just shore them up a bit. Has it made much difference?

Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

Huge difference mate, well worth doing.

2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

Are the rear leaf springs not clamped to the axle though? Surely they don't move?
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

It’s the full axle and springs that move. When lowered using hangers you increase the leverage between the body and spring pivot points (lateral movement).

Build thread:
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

Ah.... I haven't lowered mine yet, so can't 'see' it in my head!

Must make cornering.......interesting?
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

It sounds a lot worse than it is mate and not really worth worrying about, but is resolved with bushes and blocks.

Build thread:
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

Cheers fella, I'm sure it will make more sense when I start with the spanners!