Wheel nuts?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
mattdrink73
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Wheel nuts?

Post by mattdrink73 »

Apologies if this is a daft question but thought I'd ask.
Just test mounted some alloys on my caddy. Look and fit nice, however I'm only able to get about 3.5 turns out of the bolts so I'm looking at getting some new ones. On a M14 1.5mm, to get another 4 turns by my maths that means I'd need an extra 6mm of length so I'd be looking at a 32mm, was going to go for a 35 to be safe. Is that right or am I going mad?
Ta
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Wheel nuts?

Post by SnoWhite »

Are you using the right wheel nuts?

Some alloys may not fit securely if you are simply using wheel nuts designed for steel wheels. In which case you may need to fit tapered wheel nuts to ensure they grip onto more of the threads and be confident your alloys are fitted securely.

If you are unsure about what to fit on your Caddy - this is definitely one to get advice from a professional tyre fitting garage.

If you have ever had the misfortune of being stuck for hours on the M2 after a Transit looses a wheel at speed and ends up smashed to bits, you will realise just how important it is to ensure the wheels on your Caddy stay firmly in place.

SnoWhite
mattdrink73
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by mattdrink73 »

SnoWhite wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:32 pm Are you using the right wheel nuts?

Some alloys may not fit securely if you are simply using wheel nuts designed for steel wheels. In which case you may need to fit tapered wheel nuts to ensure they grip onto more of the threads and be confident your alloys are fitted securely.

If you are unsure about what to fit on your Caddy - this is definitely one to get advice from a professional tyre fitting garage.

If you have ever had the misfortune of being stuck for hours on the M2 after a Transit looses a wheel at speed and ends up smashed to bits, you will realise just how important it is to ensure the wheels on your Caddy stay firmly in place.

SnoWhite
I'm in the process of ordering some new ones. Tried the original ones and though I'm 99% sure the wheel seating was radial, same as the stock bolts, I could only get around 3.5 turns before they were tight, so I'm going to need some longer bolts. Will likely end up heading to kwik fit but I won't have time until next weekend and if possible would like to get the bolts ordered first so I can get a professional to fit the wheels with the bolts to check if everything is safe. Just need to work out which length bolts will have enough thread without being too long!
Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Ripley55 »

I’ve asked this very same question just recently in a similar thread, and have been told that my Standard radius bolts 27mm will be fine with the 17”x7 VW New Orleans alloys I have got, hopefully someone will confirm, as the wheels are in for Refurb and powder coating, and I’ll be collecting them this week. Somebody must know the definitive answer :D
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s