Tire pressure

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Barrybooner
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Tire pressure

Post by Barrybooner »

What tyre pressures are you guys running on your 235 35 r19 setups?
Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Tire pressure

Post by Bionicman »

I think the tyre pressures should be whatever is on the tyre pressure sticker on the drivers door post regardless of whatever size tyres you have on the vehicle. It does not matter what size tyres you have the pressure inside will be the same after all.
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

Yep the pressure is related to weight not volume
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
bob86
100BHP+

Post by bob86 »

do people set the pressure with load on - IE fitted, or off the van? my old company car was always done at kwik fit and they always did them off the car to the factory pressure, which then isn't the same once you fit them
PaulC61
Hyper Poster

Post by PaulC61 »

I'm sure that somewhere on the drivers side door frame is the tyre pressure settings for the type of load you have shown as the number of people.

As an edit- For my tyre size (only got small alloys) 2 people and a suitcase is 39psi front and 39 psi rear 4 people and 3 suitcases is 42 psi front and 46 psi rear.
Last edited by PaulC61 on Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Pure Grey Maxi Kombi Build viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32111
skinnyd
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by skinnyd »

I always thought that the lower the volume of space in a tyre the higher the pressure.

Like my bicycle tyres are 3bar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skully
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Skully »

skinnyd wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:29 pm I always thought that the lower the volume of space in a tyre the higher the pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 Bar in your bicycle tyres = 3 Bar in a 19 inch car tyre = 3 Bar in a huge opencast mine truck tyre.
Volume makes no difference to pressure in a tyre.
1996 Mk3 VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi 2.0 TDI
2013 RSV4 track bike
2021 Aprilia RS 660 road bike
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I run 33 front and 38 rear in my caddy.
That's measured on the van with the normal load and a full tank of fuel on cold tyres as close to 8-10°C as possible for summer.
These figures I have tested to great extent, many miles and many sets of tyres.

My winter 225/40R18 I run 30 front and 38 rear. That's set at 0-4°C on cold tyres.

I have live tyre pressure on my instrument cluster so watching what goes on while on a run the expected and assumed normal 3-5psi increase is seen as the tyres get warm and the air inside expands.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Drew2k
200BHP+

Post by Drew2k »

Doc, what size wheels and Tyres are you running when your not on your Winters?
MartinR
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MartinR »

skinnyd wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:29 pm I always thought that the lower the volume of space in a tyre the higher the pressure.

The pressure governs the area of tyre in contact with the ground - the volume of the tyre is not related (but see compromises later). If you work in PSI it makes the maths more obvious... 3 bar is about 44psi so lets assume for the sake of easy maths that you plus bike weigh 176 pounds or 12 and half stone. To balance that weight you will have 4 square inches of rubber on the road : 176 pounds divided by 44 pounds per square inch = 4 square inches, or 2 square inches per tyre. On a 1 inch wide tyre that means a flat bit 2 inches long in contact with the road.

An empty Caddy is about 1.7t or 3750 pounds; at 44PSI that's 85 square inches of contact, or about 21 per tyre. If you've got 205 tyres, they're about 8 inches wide, so the flat bit will be about 2.5 inches long. That sounds about right without getting a ruler out :-)

If you lower the pressures, the flat bit gets bigger; if you increase them it gets smaller. Similarly if you increase the load in the car, the flat bit gets bigger. Caddy payload is about 600kg or 1320 pounds; still at 44PSI that's another 30 square inches of contact patch, so it's now about 3.5 inches long on each tyre.

That's all just physics. Now the engineering or even the art comes in: a bigger contact patch will give you better grip but the tyre has to change shape more as it flattens out. That stresses the tyre, and increasing the rolling resistance. But soft tyres soak up the bumps better. So on your race bike you will have rock hard tyres for low rolling resistance, but your tourer might have softer tyres to save your backside a little pain, and your mountain bike will have fat soft tyres to mould to and grip the rocks (but you'll feel them sticking to the tarmac too!). The compromises (and the art) just get worse from there - 'taller' tyres deform more on cornering, low profile tyres on alloys can have lower unsprung mass, and we haven't talked about tread yet...

It's all about compromises and what's on the door post is a starting point based on OEM wheels and tyres and the manufacturer's expectation of usage - move away from that and you may need to move away from the posted pressures.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Drew2k wrote:Doc, what size wheels and Tyres are you running when your not on your Winters?
Sorry, I should have said but I was replying to the question original posted which was for 235/35R19.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Barrybooner
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Barrybooner »

Cheers guys, for me it’s all about minimising the risk of a cracked 19” rim because I’m paranoid, and from what you guys have said I should run a slightly lower psi to dampen the ride and put less stress on my alloys? For reference I went with 38 front and rear just to see what it’s like but am going to change to 36 front and 37 rear, just to be pedantic🕺🏿 And see how that works out
Drew2k
200BHP+

Post by Drew2k »

@Doc nice one fella. I’m going to try running the same in mine on my maxi for a bit as I have the same Tyre size all round. I was running 39psi all round and the front two both worn the middles right down as if over inflated!! :(
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

39psi is definitely too much on the front, even the 2.0TDI with DSG wouldn't need that much pressure.

Drew2k
200BHP+

Post by Drew2k »

Thanks Doc