Driveline problem

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
E-Bagge
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Driveline problem

Post by E-Bagge »

Hi everyone!

I get a strange noise when I let the foot of the gas and when I let the car rolling without gear.
I suspect the drive joints but it dosnt sound any worse when turning the wheels max to the right and left.

Anyone got any ideas?

It's a 5 speed manual caddy 2013 1.6d
๐Ÿ˜Š
peely
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Driveline problem

Post by peely »

Hi , is it a whining or a buzz type of noise that starts at a certain mph , if so could be wheel bearing .
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
E-Bagge
Caddy Fan

Post by E-Bagge »

It's a kind of "scraping" noise it has something to do with something that turns because you can hear the noise as the car is rolling, it's not consistent, and it dosnt sound when the car is stationary but the engine turned on.
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

Maybe a dust guard on the discs
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
E-Bagge
Caddy Fan

Post by E-Bagge »

I would love it to be just that, but the sounds is a bit more "mechanical".
beemer124
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by beemer124 »

I had the exact same problem when I bought the one I have. That turned out to be a bearing in the gearbox that was completely broken in mine. I can of course not say for sure it is the same with yours, but I had the exact same symptoms. It was not very difficult to repair, but I had to get out the gearbox and dismantle it. The bearing itself cost approximately 25ยฃ I think. It was part number 21 in the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Bagge
Caddy Fan

Post by E-Bagge »

I _really_ hope that's not the case with my caddy ๐Ÿ˜ taking down the gearbox is a beast of a job.

I am thinking if it could be the wheel bearings?
It dosnt make the "wash machine" noise in high speeds tho :-/

I will have a good look tomorrow, and I'll come back.
E-Bagge
Caddy Fan

Post by E-Bagge »

Made I short video and I think I have isolated the noise to either the gearbox or the inner drive shaft joint.

So what do you guys think? Joint or gearbox?

https://youtu.be/aauXUWx0nn0

๐Ÿ˜Š
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I'm thinking that's the inner CV joint on the drive shaft. Were you holding the shaft to turn it in that video?
Maybe try holding the outer part of the CV and try turning the shaft, see if there is play from one to the other.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
E-Bagge
Caddy Fan

Post by E-Bagge »

In the video i just turned the wheel, but yes, there is a tiny little play when I turn the driveshaft.

I think my next step is to remove the driveshaft and try to turn the bit thats connected in the gearbox and if that dosnt make any sound it must be the inner driveshaft joint that's faulty.

I'll keep keep you "all" updated ๐Ÿ˜Š
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

Can I just make a suggestion, if you have jacked the van at the jacking point your suspension will be at itโ€™s full extent and wheel hanging down which puts the driveshaft at an angle pointing to the floor which in turn makes the nuckle in the inner drive shaft hang out of the cup, I think in that video you are hearing the nuckle joint at a unusual angle, jack up under the lower arm which keeps the driveshaft in line with the wheel and gearbox then spin wheel, there is always a tiny bit of play and very slight clicking and I mean very slight.๐Ÿ‘
E-Bagge
Caddy Fan

Post by E-Bagge »

Hmm that's strange because I did the exakt same thing with the other side and it was dead quiet and no play what so ever. But I will follow your advise and Jack the car under the lower arm instead ๐Ÿ‘
E-Bagge
Caddy Fan

Post by E-Bagge »

Allright, today i separated the driveshafts from the gearbox and sadly it still make this awful sound.

I bet this _will_ be expansive ๐Ÿ˜ญ

https://youtu.be/ohEo83IpZjY

Any ideas?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Yea, that does not sound good.
Time for a new gearbox.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
beemer124
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by beemer124 »

That sucks. But on the bright side, you are almost halfway to taking out the gearbox when you have taken off the driveshafts, and it really isnโ€™t so scary to open the box and replace what is broken. I removed the gearbox in my garden and then I replaced the bearing wich was broken in my gardenshed. As long as you are careful and take some pictures when you take it apart it really isnโ€™t that difficult.

Here is a couple of pics I took when i repaired mine, as you can see from the last pic all of the cogs come out as one unit.