Might be a write-off should I take out my mods?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Might be a write-off should I take out my mods?

Post by Dugpal »

Got a question about what will happen if my van is deemed a write-off after a recent rear ending!

The van is fine to drive. Basically the van behind me got shunted in to me by a LGV in traffic as he didn't stop in time. It looks to me like the part behind the bumper on one corner is pushed in a fair bit and the part where the door hinge attaches looks to have moved too.

I want to know if you were me would you replace the upgraded seats and take out the radio and swap my alloys for the steel wheels before dropping it at the garage for them to look at it?

I'm just worried they say it's a write-off dont reflect my upgrades in thier insurance settlement and I just lose them.
2011 1.6 TDI
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Re: Might be a write-off should I take out my mods?

Post by the swan fiend »

If you can put your original bits back on, I would personally if you haven’t declared the mods to your insurance. You could also sell wheels etc if they’re not damaged. As for the van being fine to drive, I’d check the rear axle and suspension before you drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dugpal »

It drives fine. Ive driven it about 300mile this weekend. It didnt damage much past the bit behind the bumper. The bumper isnt cracked but the door took most of it.

I did tell them about the radio, wheels, seats but im just worried the amount they'd give me as a write-off wouldn't account for the changes and so i might as well swap them to original before taking it in. They didn't list my mods on my policy only that id lowered it even though i asked about them. Which makes me think they are happy to insure it but only ever replace to standard?

Wont take me long to take the wheels and radio out i suppose. I just wondered if anyone else has had this sort of thing happen to them.
2011 1.6 TDI
Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dugpal »

It didn't get written off in the end. They insurance company were happy with my repair quote I got from an independent garage and just ended up giving me the cash to fix it myself! Not heard of many insurance companies doing that but I'm not complaining!
2011 1.6 TDI
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Mine gave me the money to fix it myself. Think it might be coming more common as the accident management company’s just rip the insurance companies off. So in general it’s probably cheaper for the insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk