Andy’s Silver Caddy Build

Show off your caddy
andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Post by andyreflexsilver »

Hi guys, I’m Andy, 23 from Northumberland and I bought my 2013 Caddy Trendline about a year ago, have done a few mods since then so thought it was about time I did a build thread, I haven’t photographed everything I’ve done but will be updating it from now on with every mod. Everything has been done completely by myself which makes it so much more rewarding in my opinion. Here she is the day I bought it

The first thing I did was to fit new alloys. Went for some 18” OZ Superturismo. A steal at £500 with 4 Continental Sport Contacts.

Then got brakes sorted as they were looking very rough. Callipers and carriers powder coated and new discs and pads all round. (I know the spring clip is missing, the black paint was drying when I took the photo) Image The powder coating is the only thing I haven’t actually done personally.

Before

After

Then it was lowering time, as I could only look like a daft monster truck for so long. H+R 40mm lowering springs on the front, and a Darkside rear axle flip kit on the rear.

Before

After

Then after searching for ages and with lots of help from members on here I sourced all the bits for a MFSW upgrade. Went for a Golf MK6 Leather one but may have to go for a flat bottom soon I think.

Before

After Image

Rear roof spoiler painted and fitted

Then after a few months of no mods I finally got round to getting the sound proofing and insulation and carpet ordered.

Began by removing all the old ply, a good clean out and copying the ply panels onto new thicker 6mm ply.

Then started on the soundproofing and insulating. I was cautious at first but turns out once you start, if you take your time it’s not difficult at all.

Onto carpeting the ply, and the inner metalwork of the van

Then I wanted some interior lighting. Went for decking lights from Screwfix, learnt from another user on here that they are 12v anyway just work on a 230v socket with a transformer so they worked ideal.

My roof liner was starting to sag, but unfortunately had no ply left to make a new one so fitted some braces into the roof to screw the liner to when installed. Worked really well actually

Then onto installing it. Big job by yourself Image

Had some laminate flooring left from a job in the house one day so thought I’d put it to good use.

And here’s where it’s up to right now.

Still got the sliding door to do, and the two barn doors, I want to make blanks for the windows with carpeted ply too, and also some blanks for the bulkhead mesh. Once that’s all done I’m going to start my pull out bed, ready for the first road trip, hopefully to the south of France next month if workload allows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Andy’s Silver Caddy Build

Post by robblowen »

Looking smart man, what else you got planned for it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Thanks mate! In the rear I’m planning a pull out, or a fold up bed, and a mountain bike fork mount then possibly some shelves or power supplies etc to make it a bit more camperish. Hahah. Then I’m thinking a front splitter, roof bars, wind deflectors, gloss black grills, front fogs, new style rear lights, side rail cover, upgraded stereo, and like I mentioned maybe a new steering wheel, I’m sure this list will just grow and grow. Also want to retrofit air con, it looks like a big task, but I plan on keeping this van for a while, so I want it how I want it to be. It’s the only major thing missing from it at the minute. Just waiting for the right donor vehicle for all the parts, or going to build them up gradually on eBay etc.

P33l
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by P33l »

Andy, I have the older style caddy 2007 but I want to lower it using a similar method to you. How does it drive? I have heard people say it can be a bit crashy and bumpy? Did you just keep the original front shocks with 40mm lowering springs and then the DS rear lowering kit? https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/ ... sters.html

Or did you put new shocks on the rear as well?

P.s. van looks awesome
andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Hi mate, thanks for that. And oh right, yeah I fitted the lowering springs to the original shocks on the front, fitted the kit you have linked on the rear but left the original shocks. I do plan on changing the rear shocks as the ride on the rear is a bit bumpy but it’s not all that bad really, and I’m hoping shorter shocks should sort the problem. But nah rides pretty good mate, there’s movement in the back axle which comes with all axle flips, but I’m also thinking of polybushing everything one day so that should help!

P33l
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by P33l »

Thanks for the reply. So the front shocks are fine with the lowered springs? Just you would suggest changing the rear shocks to shorter ones when I lower it? Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to race out and go buying stuff then to find out its horrible to drive.
Thanks
andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Yeah the front ones are fine, no problems but I would recommend shorter ones on the back. It’s not 100% essential but mine doesn’t half do some bouncing because the shocks aren’t operating at their desired length so they will be getting changed. I’ve been recommended by a forum user to buy Gaz short adjustable rear shocks. They’re about £75 each. Also don’t forget to cut down your bump stops when you do the rear axle flip.

andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Looking good in this lovely weather ImageImage

Calamity Kev
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Calamity Kev »

Sweet
Ride Bikes Drink Beer
Caddy63-Adrian
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy63-Adrian »

Love the van buddy, I'm going to be pulling out all my carpet soon and fancy a colour change, wheres that carpet from and what colour is it down as?
andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Thanks mate, it’s from vanliningcarpet.co.uk. The colour is described as anthracite. Comes with the glue, and works out at roughly £10 per meter including glue so not too bad really.

andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Bit of progress over the last few days, managed to get my pull out bed made, just looking for a mattress now. Also planning to make some sort of pull out drawer or tidy storage idea for under the bed, and carpet it to match. I also fitted roof bars and cross bars and test fitted the roofbox ready for the road trip! ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

That looks Good bud! It's weird, but I'm not a fan of roof racks/bars, but the top box looks spot on👍
andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Thanks man, yeah I prefer them without bars I think, but it’s for practicality really so I think I’ll leave them on most of the time, as I’ll be using the roofbox a bit over the summer but it’s just a couple of bolts to take them off if I want to so not too bad

andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Picked up a self inflating air mattress from Go Outdoors today, fits near enough perfectly with a little headboard effect and rolls up and stored underneath the bed. Don’t worry that’s not my spare wheel underneath Image it’s a punctured tyre I’m repairing for a neighbour tomorrow ImageImage